• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Because putting the parents in jail will make it all better, right? The parents cannot be punished worse than they already are.

There is no "suffered enough" clause in the IPC. If a jury finds that they didn't take reasonable precautions then they should be subject to the penalties associated with the law. They weren't the party injured, the kid was, and he deserves justice.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    This is the kind of "internet advice" that causes problems. People read the "begging" thread and think it's a good idea, yet don't know/understand the basic safety rules associated with firearms and accidents (negligence) happens.

I don't want to say: I told you so…..but I really think we ought to put those rules in every OP before we recommend being ready to let loose a round in milliseconds.

...I don't even know how to respond to the kind of...Well,just let me say that some folks should keep themselves from expressing uneducated ideas on the internet,...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    All guns can do this. I know I have been yelled at over this but this is what happens when we do not respect firearms and think that they are not dangerous.

Eez gon, eez not safe.

Guns belong in holsters on belts. If it is not there, lock 'em up if you have kids.

Yes, but some guns are more vulnerable to impacts than others..
    use of a manuel safety when around kids may give one extra time to react if a kid does touch a gun..
    I carry a Sig, but when a relative got into shooting I purchaseda 3rd gen S&W for them because they had kids.. The safety & mag disconect gives an extra layer of time if a kid is around..

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Go ahead and say it. There are many more gun owners than fully trained and responsible gun owners. One in the pipe with kids around is no better than leaving a baby in a hot car in the parking lot while you shop for ammo at Wal-Mart.

Stupidity knows no bounds.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ...I don't even know how to respond to the kind of...Well,just let me say that some folks should keep themselves from expressing uneducated ideas on the internet,...

"Tis better to be silent, and thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." -Author Unknown

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As long we understand that the gun that Steve Malloy dropped which killed him had a manual safety and that the 3rd generation S&W auto can be fired with the magazine out.

We, as a culture, are too quick to deny the fact that guns are dangerous. This attitude leads to a familiarity which leads to contempt which leads to serious bodily injury or death.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    As long we understand that the gun that Steve Malloy dropped which killed him had a manual safety and that the 3rd generation S&W auto can be fired with the magazine out.

We, as a culture, are too quick to deny the fact that guns are dangerous. This attitude leads to a familiarity which leads to contempt which leads to serious bodily injury or death.
    This. Always this.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The fact that a 3 year old gained access to a loaded firearm should REQUIRE charges be filed against whomever was the child's guardian at the time.

I understand it's a great tragedy, but it could not have been possible if not for negligence.
    Sad, but false.

Not everything in life is predictable or preventable. As gun owners, we should understand this better than anyone.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

:+1: Thanks Dan, for putting the nauseating feeling I had into words.. Rep inbound

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    11/16/13: Fayetteville police said a 4-year-old boy playing with a loaded handgun shot and killed himself Saturday morning. Police responded to a home in the 1600 block of Stanford Court just before 10:45 a.m. Investigators said Killian Perez got the loaded handgun from on top of a refrigerator and shot himself. Police said Killian's father, 32-year-old Jeffery David Perez, was home alone watching the 4-year-old and two twin babies while the mom was in Durham visiting a family member at the hospital. Detectives arrested Perez and charged him with involuntary manslaughter and failure to secure a firearm. He was taken to the Cumberland County Detention Center but has been released on his own recognizance. Perez is a soldier in the United States Army, stationed at Fort Bragg. This is the second fatal accidental shooting among children in Fayetteville since October. Last month, a 2-year-old girl found a gun under a couch in her family's living room.
    You do realize how many children have died this year in firearms related "accidents", don't you?

Internet wisdom…..may you be luckier than your IQ would generally infer.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There is no "suffered enough" clause in the IPC. If a jury finds that they didn't take reasonable precautions then they should be subject to the penalties associated with the law. They weren't the party injured, the kid was, and he deserves justice.
    The kid deserves justice? He is already deceased. He cannot get justice any more.

Too many people want people prosecuted for every bad thing that happens in this world. Some times bad things happen to people. We don't need to put another person in jail every time something does.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You do realize how many children have died this year in firearms related "accidents", don't you?

Why don't you share with us? While you are at it add how many children died in accidents in total.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Manatee, I agree with your earlier posts wholeheartedly... Accidents happen unfortunately.. They same ones that want prosecution from the gov would scream about any attempt to circumvent the 2A by the aforementioned gov entity.. No further punishment to the parents could be handed down than what has already been served.!!!!!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Why don't you share with us? While you are at it add how many children died in accidents in total.

If you're bright and frisky, google it yourself. They are not hard to find.

If you're saying that you shouldn't be responsible for the firearms you own, particularly when children are present, then there is nothing more that needs to be said.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I find it incredibly funny, if not ironic, that you claim such personal wisdom and yet are blindly believing what the media is telling you and how they're interpretting it.

FWIW, I have yet to see ONE media report that is not worded in such a way to mislead your thought to something which is false.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    11/18/13: Alaska State Troopers say 6-year-old Marcus Savage is in stable condition at an Anchorage hospital after shooting himself in the stomach with a .22 caliber pistol. According to trooper dispatch, the Kwethluk child was playing with the loaded gun Monday morning when it discharged, hitting him in the abdomen. The boy's father, 36-year-old Evon Savage, contacted troopers, and the wounded child was flown to Anchorage.

Nelson, MT 11/18/13: A 14-year-old boy was shot accidentally with a .30-06 caliber rifle while traveling in a vehicle, Sheriff Leo Dutton reported on Monday. The shooting, according to Dutton’s early evening email, was reported by the boy’s father at about 4 p.m. The teenage boy and father had been hunting in the Nelson area. The gunshot wound is reported to be in the upper left shoulder, and the bullet exited the shoulder, according to the sheriff’s email. MORE: According to Sheriff Dutton, the teen had not been hunting before. He used a magazine drop to unload the weapon. It became apparent later, however, there was still one shell in the chamber.

There are many many more. You can believe that the media gets them all wrong….but it's evident that SOME gun owners don't pay attention and aren't very adept at implementing the basic safety rules of firearms ownership. When a child is involved, I blame the adult.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom