• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    hey guy i need help picking a 3-gun shot gun. I really want a versamax tactical however I only have about $900 to spend. Ive looked at the Mossberg JM Pro Tactical however I had a 930 spx in the past and was not really impressed with it. Im considering a steoger 3500, the loading is opened fairly well,comes with a hi vis front site, and ur supposed to be bael to use nova or super nova max extensions with them. What are your thoughts? I want a 24" barrel bur woudl settle for 22"

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Go with the Stoeger 3000. The 3500 is more finicky with light loads. I absolutely love my 3000. It went from just being another one of my guns, to my favorite gun. You won't be disappointed.

ETA: go with the Nordic tube extension. Mine has been flawless. The only problem I've had is a few failures to feed with Winchester white box. It'll eat the federals from Walmart all day though.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just bought a Stoeger M3000 last week. Initial impressions are positive and I think it's a winner over the 930 and CZ 712 in the sub $500 shotgun market. It ran a full box of Federal Walmart shells as fast as I could fire them Wednesday. I'm pretty impressed. Recoil was a little stouter than my Mossberg 930. Definitely go Nordic for the tube but get your barrel nut from MOA Precision. He's over on Enos and based out of Oregon. His nut will not require any modifications to the gun. The Nordic nut that fits sometimes requires some sanding and removing the untreaded portion of the mag tube. He's making quite a bit of stuff for the Stoeger.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    My Nordic nut went right on with no problem. Some work, some don't. Just make sure whichever you go with, you put the nut on first, then screw in the tube. You may need to do some light flaring and polishing on the end of the factory tube though, to help the shells to slide through it. Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you decide on.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My Stoeger 3000 functions fine with the right ammunition. With buckshot, slugs, a #4 high brass hunting loads it works fine. It won't cycle with most promo loads like the Federal target loads. This might be because I don't move when the gun is trying to cycle (Benelli-style actions require a little "give" to cycle properly) with wimpy loads.

If the Mossberg 930 JM had been on the market when I got my Stoeger, I would have bought it instead knowing what I know now about both guns.

The primary advantage of the Stoeger (and of course the Benellis from which it was copied) is that you can make the stock as short as you like. Most other self- loading shotguns have a big rod that protrudes into the buttstock that limits how much you can shorten the stock. The stock my Stoeger was cut down to give me about a 10.5 inch LOP! This is why I do not shoot my Winchester SX2 Practical (my opinion the best gun on the market) very much... stock is too long and it can't be shortened a significant amount.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I would stay away from the 930 JM. They seem to be hit and miss on reliability. I was shooting a Winchester Sx2 practical but switched to a Benelli M2 and I'm in love. I think there was an Sx2 practical for sale in the classifieds you might check out.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    My Stoeger 3000 functions fine with the right ammunition. With buckshot, slugs, a #4 high brass hunting loads it works fine. It won't cycle with most promo loads like the Federal target loads. This might be because I don't move when the gun is trying to cycle (Benelli-style actions require a little "give" to cycle properly) with wimpy loads.

If the Mossberg 930 JM had been on the market when I got my Stoeger, I would have bought it instead knowing what I know now about both guns.

The primary advantage of the Stoeger (and of course the Benellis from which it was copied) is that you can make the stock as short as you like. Most other self- loading shotguns have a big rod that protrudes into the buttstock that limits how much you can shorten the stock. The stock my Stoeger was cut down to give me about a 10.5 inch LOP! This is why I do not shoot my Winchester SX2 Practical (my opinion the best gun on the market) very much... stock is too long and it can't be shortened a significant amount.

Benelli's recoil spring is is in the stock, unlike the stoeger.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I would stay away from the 930 JM. They seem to be hit and miss on reliability. I was shooting a Winchester Sx2 practical but switched to a Benelli M2 and I'm in love. I think there was an Sx2 practical for sale in the classifieds you might check out.

So you went ahead and got the the Benelli? Can't wait to check it out. Hopefully it runs better than your last one haha

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Benelli's recoil spring is is in the stock, unlike the stoeger.

Which Benelli? I'm talking about the M1S90, not the M2 or M4.

Just looked at schematics of the M2. You're absolutely correct --- it has a fairly short recoil spring that extends in the stock. I didn't find the M1 right away. Is it the same as the M2?

Given how short it is (compared to Winchester SX2 or Remington 1100/11-87), it looks like you could shorten the stock about as much as you want. I actually got the idea how to do mine (someone else did the work) based on how some guys were shortening M1S90 stocks ten years ago.

Last edited:

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    If you can't afford a Benelli M2 look at the a Stoeger M3000. I have over 1350 rounds on my test mule. I just added a mag tube and wallowed out the loading port for the first thousand or so rounds. I added a cheek eez and a kick eez pad a Taran tactical safety and I'm gonna add an Arredondo bolt release and a gren hi viz front sight next. It's not an M2 but it's the BEST bang for your buck out there for 3 gun shotgun.

I put 635 rounds of the cheapest ammo I could find thru it this weekend.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    So you went ahead and got the the Benelli? Can't wait to check it out. Hopefully it runs better than your last one haha
    Yeah I did. I didn't like the sights on the Sx2. I felt like I had to aim at everything with it instead of pointing..If that makes sense at all. I still have my other one and I'm going to try and fix it for a back up gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah I did. I didn't like the sights on the Sx2. I felt like I had to aim at everything with it instead of pointing..If that makes sense at all. I still have my other one and I'm going to try and fix it for a back up gun.

Did you look at the SX2 Mk I or Mk II? The Mk II has the ghost ring sights which are not great for this application, but the rear sight on the Mk I folds down so it's just like using a bead on a your grandpa's goose gun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you can't afford a Benelli M2 look at the a Stoeger M3000. I have over 1350 rounds on my test mule. I just added a mag tube and wallowed out the loading port for the first thousand or so rounds. I added a cheek eez and a kick eez pad a Taran tactical safety and I'm gonna add an Arredondo bolt release and a gren hi viz front sight next. It's not an M2 but it's the BEST bang for your buck out there for 3 gun shotgun.

I put 635 rounds of the cheapest ammo I could find thru it this weekend.

Mine won't do that!

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Did you look at the SX2 Mk I or Mk II? The Mk II has the ghost ring sights which are not great for this application, but the rear sight on the Mk I folds down so it's just like using a bead on a your grandpa's goose gun.
    I have the MK I which is what I was using. I still felt like i was aiming having to look down the cantileaver mount. I know a few guys that have the FN SLP with the same set up and they like them.. just not for me I guess.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been running a Benelli M2 for the past few years. It ran great as long as you didn't cheap out on ammo. It did not like the Wal-Mart stuff (more on that later). I have had a lot of issues with it not cycling all the way or stopping mid way in chambering the next round. Ever since I switched to Winchester AAs, it's been flawless (seriously, not 1 issue). I just ordered a new Beretta 1301. I'm a huge Beretta fan as I've been hunting with them for several years now and they don't disappoint. This may or may not be above your price range. For the money, it sounds like the Stoeger is a decent deal. If you're up in the Lafayette area any time, I'd be happy to host a range visit at Wildcat and let you try them out. I could probably get ahold of an Mossberg 930 and an FN SLP also if you'd like.

On a slightly different subject, no matter what you go with, I'd highly suggest Winchester AA ammo. ESPECIALLY if you go with an Inertia Driven shotgun. My experience suggests that the quality is much higher than the Wal-Mart bulk stuff and you can easily sell the nice AA hulls to a reloader afterwards. AND, during the Winchester AA rebate times, it actually CHEAPER than Wal-Mart!!! Just my .02. I buy 3 or 4 cases (what ever the max is for the rebate) each time the rebate begins.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have the MK I which is what I was using. I still felt like i was aiming having to look down the cantileaver mount. I know a few guys that have the FN SLP with the same set up and they like them.. just not for me I guess.

Interesting!

My Mk I had the cantilever mount milled off of it before I got it.

I've been running a Benelli M2 for the past few years. It ran great as long as you didn't cheap out on ammo. It did not like the Wal-Mart stuff (more on that later). I have had a lot of issues with it not cycling all the way or stopping mid way in chambering the next round. Ever since I switched to Winchester AAs, it's been flawless (seriously, not 1 issue). I just ordered a new Beretta 1301. I'm a huge Beretta fan as I've been hunting with them for several years now and they don't disappoint. This may or may not be above your price range. For the money, it sounds like the Stoeger is a decent deal. If you're up in the Lafayette area any time, I'd be happy to host a range visit at Wildcat and let you try them out. I could probably get ahold of an Mossberg 930 and an FN SLP also if you'd like.

On a slightly different subject, no matter what you go with, I'd highly suggest Winchester AA ammo. ESPECIALLY if you go with an Inertia Driven shotgun. My experience suggests that the quality is much higher than the Wal-Mart bulk stuff and you can easily sell the nice AA hulls to a reloader afterwards. AND, during the Winchester AA rebate times, it actually CHEAPER than Wal-Mart!!! Just my .02. I buy 3 or 4 cases (what ever the max is for the rebate) each time the rebate begins.

If it's running, you'd better go catch it! Hah! I crack me up!

What size and weight of shot do you use?

When I started shooting 3-gun, #4 was the minimum size that was allowed because the smaller shot splashed back from a lot of the targets we used during courses of fire (both steel and bowling pins). It was also helpful in dropping heavier steel plates. I never had trouble with high brass #4 shot, which I shot for pretty much every 3-gun match I did between 1996 and when I quit going. It definitely takes down the steel.

Somewhere along the line, things flip-flopped and clubs have maximum size shot you can use.

rhino out!

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    If it's running, you'd better go catch it! Hah! I crack me up!

What size and weight of shot do you use?

When I started shooting 3-gun, #4 was the minimum size that was allowed because the smaller shot splashed back from a lot of the targets we used during courses of fire (both steel and bowling pins). It was also helpful in dropping heavier steel plates. I never had trouble with high brass #4 shot, which I shot for pretty much every 3-gun match I did between 1996 and when I quit going. It definitely takes down the steel.

Somewhere along the line, things flip-flopped and clubs have maximum size shot you can use.

rhino out!

I think the AA's I'm using are the Supersport 7-1/2s. They make lighter load AAs, but I wanted the extra assurance that the Benelli would run with them. I have this unjustifiable idea that part of the reason I was having issues with the cheap Wal-Mart stuff was a steel hull vs brass hull and the way it expands and contracts in the chamber. If the steel hull does not contract as fast in combination with the fast Inertia cycle, maybe the Benelli pulls on the hull two quickly, dragging the still expanded steel hull against the chamber wall, and doesn't have the gas to help push it through?

Top Bottom