• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Years ago, I used to do machine rest (Ransom Rest) testing of ammo in my pistols at 50 yards. I found out that Green Tag didn't shoot as well as CCI SV in my pistol. OTOH, CCI Pistol Match shot 10 shots under an inch! One thing is certain is that different .22 caliber guns like different ammo and even the same ammo may shoot differently by different lot numbers. These days of amped up production, some people complain about QC or lack thereof, with the ammo that used to shoot very well before COVID. The only way to find out how different .22 caliber ammos shoot in your gun is to find a way to reliably compare them in YOUR gun. Most premium ammo, like Eley, RWS, Lapua, SK Jagd, etc. will give pretty consistent performance, but you may find that a cheaper brand will actually group better.

Guy on rimfirecentral.com posted about a buddy giving him a box of Norma Tac22 for his CZ 457. It shot groups with all hits touching, so the gent ordered a few bricks. The lot he got grouped like shotgun patterns. :n00b:

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Guy on rimfirecentral.com posted about a buddy giving him a box of Norma Tac22 for his CZ 457. It shot groups with all hits touching, so the gent ordered a few bricks. The lot he got grouped like shotgun patterns. :n00b:

Different lot numbers from same brand/model could not perform the same.
    Rarely they do, though and when it does you better stock up !

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood

I believe it. Crazy how that works isn’t it ?!

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    In the good ol days, there were probably 20 different varieties of 22lr ammo on the shelf at any givin time. Nowadays, it's hard to find 5.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have a CZ MTR Varmint with a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 SFP scope (no longer produced but still available for around $300 new) which I feel is a good setup for fixed range bench matches. I put a YoDave trigger spring in this winter and have yet to test that other than one quick range visit on a windy day. My rifle consistently shoots about 0.5 Moa groups at 50 yds with SK Rifle Match. It does not like Eley of any flavor and Lapua Midas I found one lot that was great out of 5 tested and was never able to get any more. Center X groups better at times but is a little inconsistent in my rifle at hitting POA. I plan on trying some SK standard Plus as practice ammo if I can get enough to test.

I started competing in ARA benchrest factory class this past summer (I am not very good but have fun) and hope to get out a lot more this season. Whatever you end up doing make sure she is able to have fun.
    1677111819561.jpeg

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    I have a CZ MTR Varmint with a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50 SFP scope (no longer produced but still available for around $300 new) which I feel is a good setup for fixed range bench matches. I put a YoDave trigger spring in this winter and have yet to test that other than one quick range visit on a windy day. My rifle consistently shoots about 0.5 Moa groups at 50 yds with SK Rifle Match. It does not like Eley of any flavor and Lapua Midas I found one lot that was great out of 5 tested and was never able to get any more. Center X groups better at times but is a little inconsistent in my rifle at hitting POA. I plan on trying some SK standard Plus as practice ammo if I can get enough to test.

I started competing in ARA benchrest factory class this past summer (I am not very good but have fun) and hope to get out a lot more this season. Whatever you end up doing make sure she is able to have fun.
    View attachment 257632
    Beautiful rifle! She loves it so far. Only been to one small comp but she had a blast and we learned a lot. Thanks for sharing !

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

View attachment 257632
    An MTR , a decent copy of the metallic silhouette ANSCHUTZ. This rifle will shoot, trigger goes from 1 Oz. Up to a heavy 9 Oz., adjustable sear (2 stage) , even cheap Sk yellow box will hold under MOA. Resized_Resized_20180125_090304(1).jpg

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    In the good ol days, there were probably 20 different varieties of 22lr ammo on the shelf at any givin time. Nowadays, it's hard to find 5.
    You've never been to my store, have you?

We have so many different varieties of .22 LR we don't have room for them all on the shelf. We probably have close to 20 different types of CCI alone!

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    An MTR , a decent copy of the metallic silhouette ANSCHUTZ. This rifle will shoot, trigger goes from 1 Oz. Up to a heavy 9 Oz., adjustable sear (2 stage) , even cheap Sk yellow box will hold under MOA. View attachment 257659
    An MTR , a decent copy of the metallic silhouette ANSCHUTZ. This rifle will shoot, trigger goes from 1 Oz. Up to a heavy 9 Oz., adjustable sear (2 stage) , even cheap Sk yellow box will hold under MOA. View attachment 257659
    Man those are pretty rifles. I’m kicking around a cz 457 rifle now. Just got a new scope for her rifle. Gonna see how she does now and decide if I need to get her a different rifle or not. We shall see.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I honestly don’t even know what is available these days for match 22 ammo. As has been said many times, different rifles will like different ammos, but in general, I have had the best luck with Eley ammo for top end accuracy. I forget which one was tightest in my Savage MkII and my old Remington 514T, but I do recall their ‘Practice’ ammo was about 90% as accurate at about 60% of the cost, back in the day.
    for more ’readily available’ 22 ammo, I have found most every gun to shoot pretty well with CCI Standard Velocity. I have also heard many times that Stand Vel is Green Tag with a different label and lower price…

The Eley Practice 100 is made on the same machines as Tenex. The QC separates the rounds into Tenex, Match and Practice 100. Practice 100 has performed pretty well for me at $10/50 rounds but the more expensive Eley Team is $12/50 and shoots mediocre for me with a CZ 457 MTR.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Great thread lots of good advice! Couldn't agree more with trying the different flavors out there.

Something I'd like to add.... When testing different loads, shoot 5 or 10 rounds BEFORE shooting a group you judge from.
    Here's the proof. My rifle consistently shoots sub optimal groups the first few rounds after an ammo switch.
    20230223_002540.jpg
    Here you can see Eley Tenex and SK yellow. Both types with acclimated and non acclimated groups. For me anyway, its a big difference.

CCI standards are probably going to be your friend for practice.

Then use its preferred match load for when you need to max accuracy.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Great thread lots of good advice! Couldn't agree more with trying the different flavors out there.

Something I'd like to add.... When testing different loads, shoot 5 or 10 rounds BEFORE shooting a group you judge from.
    Here's the proof. My rifle consistently shoots sub optimal groups the first few rounds after an ammo switch.
    You need to foul the barrel, a perfectly clean barrel does not shoot as well as a seasoned barrel.
    Shoot 5 to 10 shots after switching ammo , then shoot for groups.
    Cold bore will also your point of impact

Ski5252

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2023
    Greenwood
    The Eley Practice 100 is made on the same machines as Tenex. The QC separates the rounds into Tenex, Match and Practice 100. Practice 100 has performed pretty well for me at $10/50 rounds but the more expensive Eley Team is $12/50 and shoots mediocre for me with a CZ 457 MTR.
    I have several different elegy’s coming. Gonna try them out and see.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I've seen your prices at the gun shows, no thanks.
    Considering that it costs between $1,500 and $3,000 to set up at a show, some of our prices are a little higher at shows (usually about $1 per box). We are also WAY cheaper than the other vendors at the gun show, sometimes 1/3 of the price that they are asking. Many of the gun show vendors buy ammo from us to resell.

You must be able to buy ammo at distributor prices, because I usually have a similar price or lower than places like Rural King, Midway, etc. I sell multiple pallets of ammunition every month, so I'd say not many people have the same opinion that you do.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom