• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-jibber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    Brownstown
    Hey all, I'm trying to restore my dads first shotgun for Christmas. The problem is, I can't find parts for this thing. It really needs a new forearm and stock. Both are cracked extremely bad and I'm just not capable of repairing them. Anyone know where I could pick them up at or even possibly have them made? Thanks in advance

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd recommend finding a real gunsmith who could make you a set of stocks for it.

It's not cheap, but that's going to be your only option, unless you want to take a crack at it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm seeing plenty of "character", but no huge cracks and gets you 1/2 way home with a spare barrel to boot (a couple of guys on eBay are asking more than that for just the barrel... also dawns on me that one of the eBay guys may have more parts)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/88133332

---

Personally, I'd probably take a stab at filling/gluing/clamping the cracks and then clear epoxying over it to seal it for the remainder of time. Restoring a gun that is worth $100-$200 is going to be a losing proposition in every way except sentiment. If I were your Dad I'd value it even more if it came from your own labor, even if it turned out kinda "meh" in the end.

Conversely, you can always back burner this idea until next Christmas and take your time shopping around. Parts guns are clearly out there, just not in droves.

P-jibber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    Brownstown
    Sentiment is the ONLY reason that I'm even doing this. I don't know why but, he loves this old thing. It hasn't been shot in over 20 years but he still gets it out and cleans it every so often. Thanks for the link on gunbroker. I may as well give it a shot on fixing the wood. Worst I could do is make it a little better than it is.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Good luck with it! There are lots of woodworkers here on INGO who may be able to lend some advice. I'm a hack, at best.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Have you checked at Numrich? They sell a LOT of oddball stuff.

Indeed they do... Picked up a sight ramp for my 1930s Marlin Ranger from them some time ago that replaced a penny and string my Grandpa had been using since probably the 1960s.

...I couldn't resist the fun of looking... They have just about everything else for both double and single "Nitro" shotguns, but not stocks. They do have a fore end listed, but sold out. Not sure if it would be for a single or double.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1530750

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And to put a finer point on my last post. If you find it at Numrich, seek them out on Ebay. They tend to sell a little cheaper there vs their website. (for the same item... they double post their stock both places)

I think I saved $5 and got free shipping when I bought the same used Mossberg stock via ebay vs their website.

dennismassie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    I have my great grandfather's Nitro Hunter. 12 gauge, 30" full-choked barrel. Stock and forend are worn, but solid. The bore is rough at the breech, due to the corrosive nature of powder and primers in the early 1900's, but she's still a shooter.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom