• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I was in Indy today nead Wishard - an area I'm not too familiar with. I was at a green light waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left from Indiana to 10th street. Lots of traffic. Just as I was about to turn the IMPD squad car behind me beeped his horn and the officer pointed up toward the no left turn sign I had missed. I would have been "easy pickin's" for a citation, but he helped me out instead. Maybe it was the INGO sticker on the rear window;)

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    He had obviously already gotten his quota for the month.

I'd like to make a point here, without starting an all out war, but do you realize that there ARE nice, honorable LEO's out there, who are very helpful, thoughtful, considerate, and caring? They're not all "out to get you" or trying to "fill their quota", they're decent people, trying to make a living, protecting their families as well as providing for them, and helping us as well. I've had several instances where LEO's were MIGHTY HANDY to have around, and it made me feel a lot safer that they were, and are, there when we/I needed them.

There are dick's in every profession, more so in private business than in Law Enforcement. In a private business, they can do, say, act, react, and get away with just about anything else they want to do, and if you don't like it, tough. They order you out of their store. If you won't go, they call the local LEOs to step in, and THEY automatically become the "bad guys", trying to infringe on your rights and freedom. When in all actuality, it's either the shop owner, or YOU that's the problem in the first place. Because if there hadn't been a problem, the LEOs wouldn't have been called in, in the first place now would they?

I am sick to death of people saying "LEO did this!" or "LEO did that!", and bashing them left and right, BUT, when the shoe is on the other foot, and YOU're the one who needs the help, who responds to help you out? Do you bash them then, for helping you? No, you're more than thankful for
    their assistance and help, and can't be nice enough when they do whatever it is you want or are asking them to do.

But if they don't do it according to how you feel it needs to be done, or want it to be done, they're right back in the "bad guy" position again. Could you do their job? Face death every day? Arrest people for child molestation and bring them in unharmed, rather than giving in to your outrage to what they've done and beating the heck out of them because of it?

Could you, or have you, ever comforted an assault, rape, or abused adult or child, and still remain professional, yet caring? Have you ever had to face the parents of some poor child who's just been found dead, and deliver the news in the gentlest possible way? Can you pull your weapon and NOT fire at someone, who's just begging to be shot, but yet remain cool headed enough to maintain your own dignity and defuse the situation?

And last, but not least, can you in all honesty say that you could actually pull your weapon, stare someone in the face, and pull the trigger, because it's the RIGHT thing to do? Have you even been faced with a situation like that? Somehow I doubt it! And if you were, what thoughts would be going thru your head at that precise moment in time? Would it be a "YEA! I GOT THE B******!" or the more professional "God, I'm sorry I had to take that life, I didn't have any other choice. Please forgive me". The officers I personally know, think the latter, and I've seen grown men cry at having to face situations like that on a regular basis, which is why cop "burn-out" is a very real problem.

The officers we have, while not all perfect, are NOT all out to "fill their quota" for the day/week/month. They're there because we need them, because most of the general public aren't responsible enough to govern their own emotions, and control their own lives, let alone the lives of those around them.

In a perfect society, we wouldn't need LEOs, but it's NOT a perfect society, and someone has to do the job, if not for the ones we have now, who? You? I certainly wouldn't take the job, I have enough problems governing my own life, instead of trying to govern everyone else at the same time.

I say "GOOD JOB" to that IMPO, for doing the right thing, and helping someone, who by the way, was thankful for the help, not belittling as to why they got it, and degrading themselves by showing how small and closed minded they are. I prefer to see the good, but I'm just an opinion and viewpoint of one. Or to be more accurate, 1 of 3 in this family.

7th Stepper

Last edited:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Gabriel is an LEO, so he may have been being a bit sarcastic.

Thanks Benny, I didn't know that Gabriel was/is a LEO, but my position still stands. And please take this in the spirit that it's intended, not as an insult, just some advice my mom gave me a long time ago. And in my opinion, she was a very wise woman. "Sarcasm is the poorest form of wit".

She was a school teacher, and head of her Dept, and retired in 1969 when my dad was dying, in order to stay home and be there for me. She raised me from the age of 15, until she died when I was 30, and she always commanded respect thru her actions, words and deeds, not demanded it, just because she thought she deserved it. She didn't give a damn if someone agreed with her or not, abuse was not tolerated, at least not if she was around to see it. And she was very loved and respected by those who knew and loved her, both family and friends. And she always remained true to what she believed in, and felt strongly about.

Besides being a teacher for 37 years (she taught me most of what I know and believe in), she was the President and Founder of the Campbell Senior Center (CA), since they didn't have one, and she saw a need for somewhere, they could all get together and socialize in. She bucked the City Council, and got the Center up and running, and ran it for over 6 years, almost single-handedly. Sure, there were ups and downs, but she overcame them, and never once bashed anyone in her entire life, at least not while I was alive. She believed in fairness, honesty, dignity, and to give "credit where credit is due". She was elected to the City Council after the Center was running on it's own, altho she still went to all their functions, and was on the Board of Directors for the City Planning Commission, and a great many other things. And she directly as well as indirectly, heavily influenced my life, and my views on life. She was honest, and if she was wrong or mistaken, she admitted it, and took the responsibility to make it right, to the best of her ability.

And whatever she thought of a person, she had no problem saying it to their face, not behind their back, and appreciated those around her who helped and served the community. You have to admit, there is an awful lot of cop bashing on here, and in my opinion it's shameful the way they're prejudged and treated. There's always someone who over steps their bounds of authority in every profession, but to bash them all, and lump them all into the same category, is in my opinion, very unfair.

As I stated, I have a lot of respect for LEOs, and have been friends with, worked with, and socialized with plenty of them, and as a whole, I find them to be a very responsible, level headed, warm hearted group of people. Who if you need it, will give you the shirt off their back. I was in EMS for about 20 years before I was forced by my disabilities to retire. And I still keep in contact with several of them, even tho I haven't seen them in almost 20 years. LEOs, Fire Fighters and EMS are like an extended family, we all take care of each other, or at least we try to, and as with any family, take on one, you've just taken on the rest. I hold LEOs in high regard, some more so than others. But as I said, that's just my opinion, anyone else is free to have theirs as well. I couldn't do their job, I have neither the self control, nor the personal fortitude to handle that huge amount of stress on a daily basis. And I respect them all the more because they can, and do.

Regards
    7th Stepper

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    That was nice of him to handle it that way instead of a ticket. I can say that I have dealt with Avon police a couple times since moving over here and have been pleased. There are always good and bad in everything. Glad you shared a good experience.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I was in Indy today nead Wishard - an area I'm not too familiar with. I was at a green light waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left from Indiana to 10th street. Lots of traffic. Just as I was about to turn the IMPD squad car behind me beeped his horn and the officer pointed up toward the no left turn sign I had missed. I would have been "easy pickin's" for a citation, but he helped me out instead. Maybe it was the INGO sticker on the rear window;)

good for the LEO and yes I am about to be picky but you couldn't have been at 10th in Indiana at wishard in Indy because both roads at that intersection has left turn lanes.

Google Maps

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    good for the LEO and yes I am about to be picky but you couldn't have been at 10th in Indiana at wishard in Indy because both roads at that intersection has left turn lanes.

Google Maps

Yep, you got the right intersection. 10th coming from the east doesn't have a turn lane. from the overhead view, it appears that the other three approaches to the intersection do have a turn lane.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Ahh, my old stompin' grounds. You could have tossed a rock from that intersection and hit my old work and house. IMPD are alright for the most part. :)

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    That's really cool, good on him for actually helping you. I was picked off in this same manner by a cop in Illinois once.

I have never forgiven Illinois.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Question to LEOs on this thread. Do you really have a quota. We don't. I give each officer a list of minimum expectations each year but no quotas. They have things that they have to do and in the form of traffic enforcement they are told to write when they feel necessary. Now, saying that there are many other things that they can do besides write tickets. Written warnings are just as equal. We have too many things thrown into our faces on a daily basis to work traffic regularly.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Question to LEOs on this thread. Do you really have a quota. We don't. I give each officer a list of minimum expectations each year but no quotas. They have things that they have to do and in the form of traffic enforcement they are told to write when they feel necessary. Now, saying that there are many other things that they can do besides write tickets. Written warnings are just as equal. We have too many things thrown into our faces on a daily basis to work traffic regularly.

I haven't been in this thread, but I'll go ahead and answer. :D

No quotas here either. I also don't have assigned goals of making a certain number of traffic stops either. I try to do what's in the best interest of the community. I try to patrol alleys and check businesses at night. During the day I park the car in a school zone or near a park to save some gas and keep an eye out for speeders. I've gotten to know folks and they let me know about certain things that arise. If something needs to be addressed, it'll be addressed.

Doty

At peace
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Its awesome that you didnt get a ticket. I actually had an IMPD officer drive a about a mile or so to find a tow truck that got lost trying to find me waiting by my non working car. He alone changed my perspective.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I haven't been in this thread, but I'll go ahead and answer. :D

No quotas here either. I also don't have assigned goals of making a certain number of traffic stops either. I try to do what's in the best interest of the community. I try to patrol alleys and check businesses at night. During the day I park the car in a school zone or near a park to save some gas and keep an eye out for speeders. I've gotten to know folks and they let me know about certain things that arise. If something needs to be addressed, it'll be addressed.

Most of the "expectations" I have in the officers are turning in reports on time and things that they should already know. As you pointed out there are times to write tickets and a time to patrol.

We do a yearly grade on each officer. I have to take in account of the number of dispatched runs they receive and how busy they are. They could have a low number of tickets but a high numeber of assigned runs. I am also capable of bringing up how busy they are on an hourly basis. Last year our officers in my sector were busy about 45 minutes per hour. We had no down time. Sucks when you are hungry. Take care.

Top Bottom