• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well, I picked it and the Hi-Point up from Bobcat yesterday(always good to chat with Kimball and fam). First impressions, is, it’s actually smaller than I thought it was going to be. The fit and finish seem to be fine. It fits my hand OK. The single action is crisp and clean, and the double action is long as expected, and a tiny bit gritty, but not anything I would not expect from the first few trigger pulls.

I’ll run a couple hundred rounds of ammo of various kinds through it this weekend and report back.

Oh, and the Hi-Point is an absolute brick. But it has a surprisingly smooth trigger.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well, I picked it and the Hi-Point up from Bobcat yesterday(always good to chat with Kimball and fam). First impressions, is, it’s actually smaller than I thought it was going to be. The fit and finish seem to be fine. It fits my hand OK. The single action is crisp and clean, and the double action is long as expected, and a tiny bit gritty, but not anything I would not expect from the first few trigger pulls.

I’ll run a couple hundred rounds of ammo of various kinds through it this weekend and report back.

Oh, and the Hi-Point is an absolute brick. But it has a surprisingly smooth trigger.
    The TH10 what I've seen on Guntuber channels and read is they are fine running 40 Short &Weak type 10mm. But when you run full power 10mm loads they start having problems. Underwood, Buffalo Bore 200gr I've noticed the ones I've seen on Guntube and also read about.
    So if you are planning on using something like that I'd be real interested in hearing how it does.
    Also many of them admit to not cleaning off the Taurus shipping oil which might have contributed to some of the failures.
    Why people don't disassemble, clean, and lube foreign made guns before shooting them is beyond me. I did that with all the G2 and G3 series I've bought, and they have been great.
    I have yet to see one that isn't covered in oil or thick lubricant of some kind. Usually the internal parts.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also many of them admit to not cleaning off the Taurus shipping oil which might have contributed to some of the failures.
    Why people don't disassemble, clean, and lube foreign made guns before shooting them is beyond me. I did that with all the G2 and G3 series I've bought, and they have been great.
    I have yet to see one that isn't covered in oil or thick lubricant of some kind. Usually the internal parts.
    What you find on most new firearms, both domestic and foreign products, is NOT a lubricant.
    It is more likely a preservative of some type. It may look and act like a lubricant at first, it will collect carbon, unburned powder, dirt, and dust... and eventually it will gum up.
    I've seen some turn to what looks like shellac.
    This crap can and will cause all sorts of headaches if not removed before use

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I stopped by the local place yesterday that had told me they were getting one of these in. Turns out they did...and had already sold it. He said the guy who bought it was so happy with it that he came back and ordered a TH9 as well. He said the guy claimed it was accurate and he had zero reliability problems...no telling what ammo he was shooting, though. He said they're ordering another one, and took my number down to call me when it comes in. I may not buy it, but I'd still like to give it a look.

I'v been casually watching reviews on these online, and it seems that they are starting to get out there. I've never researched a Taurus handgun before...doing so has definitely exposed a completely different demographic of gun reviewer, which has been interesting, and at times a little disturbing, lol.

Two things seem pretty consistent across the board, though:

1. Everybody hates the mag release. It's too stiff and the ambi-button causes unintended mag drops. Taurus should have made it reversible not ambidextrous.
    2. The gun has issues with hot loads and heavy bullets, which IMO is the only reason to own a 10mm. If I wanted a .40 S&W I'd just get a .40 S&W.

The former I think could be pretty easily worked around. The latter is a concern. I still like the concept, and part of me wants to take one on as a project to see if I can make it better, but I don't really need another one of those in my life right now, nor do I feel like throwing away $400. If they sold for $250 like the TH9 it would be an easier pill to swallow.

@shibumiseeker, have you had a chance to shoot yours yet?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I stopped by the local place yesterday that had told me they were getting one of these in. Turns out they did...and had already sold it. He said the guy who bought it was so happy with it that he came back and ordered a TH9 as well. He said the guy claimed it was accurate and he had zero reliability problems...no telling what ammo he was shooting, though. He said they're ordering another one, and took my number down to call me when it comes in. I may not buy it, but I'd still like to give it a look.

I'v been casually watching reviews on these online, and it seems that they are starting to get out there. I've never researched a Taurus handgun before...doing so has definitely exposed a completely different demographic of gun reviewer, which has been interesting, and at times a little disturbing, lol.

Two things seem pretty consistent across the board, though:

1. Everybody hates the mag release. It's too stiff and the ambi-button causes unintended mag drops. Taurus should have made it reversible not ambidextrous.
    2. The gun has issues with hot loads and heavy bullets, which IMO is the only reason to own a 10mm. If I wanted a .40 S&W I'd just get a .40 S&W.

The former I think could be pretty easily worked around. The latter is a concern. I still like the concept, and part of me wants to take one on as a project to see if I can make it better, but I don't really need another one of those in my life right now, nor do I feel like throwing away $400. If they sold for $250 like the TH9 it would be an easier pill to swallow.

@shibumiseeker, have you had a chance to shoot yours yet?
    What you outlined is why I wouldn't buy the TH10.

I could grind off the magazine release I don't use. But it's inability to handle full power 10mm loads is a huge turn off.
    Maybe when they release the 2nd generation of it with these things fixed I'd be more interested. I also think they need it optics ready which it does not have at this time.
    It's 2024 handguns should come optics ready from the factory. Then leave it up to the customer if they want to use one or not.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Maybe when they release the 2nd generation of it with these things fixed I'd be more interested. I also think they need it optics ready which it does not have at this time.
    It's 2024 handguns should come optics ready from the factory. Then leave it up to the customer if they want to use one or not.
    I am an optics guy, and do have several handguns with them installed, but on this particular gun I'm ok without it, and I'd actually rather they leave it off if it'll keep the price down.

My use-case for a 10mm is for backpacking and backcountry camping. I'll be putting on miles out in the elements, so the smaller and simpler the better. In fact, one of the primary appeals of the TH10 is its smaller size and weight relative to most other 10mm handguns, and I wouldn't mount an optic even if it was equipped to do so. I don't want the electronics or the bulk.

But like you said, none of that matters anyway if it doesn't work with proper 10mm ammo.

Top Bottom