• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I've mentioned eating dandelions in a couple other threads, so I'll try to do a short write up here.
    The average family spends $4000 per person per year on groceries. That's ridiculous when you realize that 3 generations ago, grocery stores barely existed. We've long forgotten how to live off the land and buy only what we need from the general store. Commercialization of everything has trained us to think that if it isn't a name brand well advertised product coming of the shelves of a mega chain well advertised supermarket, we shouldn't eat it.
    A few years ago, we decided to grow, hunt, and gather as much food as we possibly could. At first, we would have a little wild food here and there, planted a garden, and raised a couple hogs. Now we might spend $1000 in groceries on our family of 4 in an entire year. Not only does it save us money, but we have noticed drastic improvements in our overall health.
    That's just a little bit of a long rant I could write a book about, but that's not the meaning of this thread.
    picture.php

Dandelions, while a pest to most people, can be an abundant food source for others. This time of year, dandelions appear on our table 4 times a week or more.
    You shouldn't need help identifying dandelions, we all grew up blowing the seeds around the yard, ticking our parents off.
    The entire plant, including the roots is edible, and there are no poisonous look alikes.
    I'm going to focus on eating the leaves and the blossoms.
    The leaves of the dandelion are best before the plant sends up it's flower stalk. They are great sautéed or fresh in salads. I like to cook them up mixed with white rice as well. After the plant flowers, the leaves become bitter and remain that way till after the first fall frost. They can be eaten in their bitter state or they can be boiled to remove the bitterness.
    The flowers of the dandelion are my favorite part. They have a unique flavor that is hard to describe. Cut the flower off just where it meets the stem and pop it in your mouth. Slightly bitter and a little meaty. Eat them raw, toss them in salad, fry them, mix them into any recipe you wish.
    I think dandelions really enhance the flavor of wild mushrooms. I regularly toss a couple dozen or so in the pan with mushrooms.
    picture.php

They also go well finely chopped into bread, biscuit, and roll mixes.
    One of my favorite dandelion treats, and a good way to introduce newcomers to their flavor, is to mix up pancake batter, dip the flowers in the batter and fry them.
    picture.php

Kids and grown ups alike are likely to try these dandelion cakes. I like to eat them as they are, but at the table they are commonly dipped in syrup, honey, dressing, even ketchup. My wife spreads a little peanut butter on them sometimes, but I don't like that as well.

One last note about the dandelion. Although I use them, I don't normally talk about herbal medicines and remedies because it gets too controversial. But here is one that I have used many times with great success.
    If you or your child get stung by a bee, you can quickly begin to relieve the pain by pulling up the nearest dandelion plant and rubbing the milky sap from the root on the sting. For some, this works instantly, for others it only helps a little (but may keep your stung toddler manageable until you can get the baking soda), but I have never seen it have no effect at all.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Ill have to show this post to my wife. we just had a discussion about dandelions yesterday.
    while we where out flying kites with my daughter my wife found a worm and I told her to eat it{which she refused:dunno::):} then we started daring each other to eat things..she told me to eat a dandelion so I did..then another and another. she told me I was gonna get sick:n00b: I told her when I was younger I remember my mom having us kids gather dandelions out of the yard and she would put them in a special salad that she made and that she would also mix some in with drop biscuits etc etc. she said I was full of it:dunno:
    same as clovers..my sisters and I would chew on clovers all the time when we where kids...though I dont ever remember mom using them for anything.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    same as clovers..my sisters and I would chew on clovers all the time when we where kids...though I dont ever remember mom using them for anything.

Man, I have not thought of that in a long time. Used to do that all the time as a kid.

Another one to try if you want something to chew on is honeycomb. That'll give your jaws a workout!:D

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Man, I have not thought of that in a long time. Used to do that all the time as a kid.

Another one to try if you want something to chew on is honeycomb. That'll give your jaws a workout!:D

yep! our neighbor had bee boxes when I was growing up..she use to give us some of the honey comb every now and then...was a great treat!
    we also had honey suckle bushes mixed in with out black berry bushes..we use to eat the heck out of that honey suckle. every time I smell honey suckle it reminds me of my childhood. blackberries..not so much:): it was more a chore then anything. we would be given a couple of buckets and would have to fill em up for family and friends. I loved the finished product but hated picking them..between the thorns and chiggers who wouldnt?:dunno:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have heard of them being eaten but mostly dandelion juice used as a mild laxative. They are supposed to be rich in vitamins A and C. Old timers that tell you things like onions are good for your blood will say that dandelions are good for your liver and kidneys.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    great post and thanks for the info. i've never tried eating them and was just talking about trying them this week as my yard is becoming infested with them. your "pancake batter" idea sounds great, can't wait to try it.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I just walked outside, plucked a flower and ate it. It was really bitter. no thank you.

Sure you didn't eat part of the flower stem? The stems are bitter, but the flowers have just a little tartness, kinda like good spinach.
    Guess it's just a matter of personal taste between good bitter and bad bitter. I'll take good bitter over sugar and preservative filled over-processed foods any day.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    We've made dandelion wine on occasion. It uses the yellow part of the flower, no green to get its color and flavor. We top off with orange juice if needed. It get a pale, yellow green color and tastes like flat Mountain Dew.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    We've made dandelion wine on occasion. It uses the yellow part of the flower, no green to get its color and flavor. We top off with orange juice if needed. It get a pale, yellow green color and tastes like flat Mountain Dew.
    My Grandmother always made a big crock of Dandelion wine every Spring.
    We also ate wilted Dandelion greens with fried bacon a lot in the Spring.
    Mike

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I believe Dole is selling dandelion greens in there prepackaged salads. They sell for about $2.50 a bag. I told my wife but she didn't believe it.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm thinking eating dandelions and clover in the average chemically-treated suburban lawn would be bad, but in the country seems like a good option!

Top Bottom