• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I know many of you will be out hunting for the fruit of the gods over the next few weeks, but most of you will limit your searching to nothing but those elusive morels.
    Indiana woodlands offer an abundance of food and flavor just waiting to find it's way into your stomach.
    Most people are so afraid of being poisoned that they are unwilling to try any wild food that is not a morel. The truth is though, very little of Indiana's wildlife can poison you, and most of what is safe to eat does not have a poisonous look-alike.
    Here is one of my favorite wild flavors that i would encourage you to gather and try during this year's mushroom hunting season.
    Wild Leeks:
    picture.php

Wild leeks are found in nearly all woodlands, are safe to eat, and provide more flavor than anything you will find in a grocery store.
    This time of year, wild leeks resemble clusters of lily's without a flower. As long as you're in the woods and not in a ditch, field, or rail bed, these little clusters will be wild leeks.
    Singly, wild leeks look like the stalk of a green onion, but with 2 to 5 wide grass like leaves.
    If in doubt, pinch of a piece of the leaf and chew it up, if it tastes like a green onion with a hint of garlic, you've a wild leek.
    To clean your wild leaks, run them under water, rinsing off any dirt they have collected. Running your fingers from the leaves to the bulb will remove the thin outer skin. Then cut them at the roots just like you would a green onion.
    Wild leeks can be used in any dish that calls for onions or garlic, but use sparingly because they are very potent. Normally 2 wild leeks will replace the flavor of a whole small white onion.
    Personally, I love the strength and flavor of wild leeks, and will eat them whole and raw alongside my supper.
    In the early spring, wild leeks are very potent in flavor, some people find them too strong to eat. If you love onion flavors but found them too hot, wait till later in the spring. In late April, the bulb will start to swell and the flavor will become much milder and pleasant enough for most onion lovers.
    Tonights wild leeks prepared for eating:
    picture.php

Although wild leeks are deemed safe to eat, I can not guarantee in any way that your body will accept them as food. Just like any new store bought food you try, wild food has a small chance of causing upset stomaches or unforeseen allergic reactions.
    When trying any wild food for the first time you should only consume a small portion, wait at least 24 hours and if you have no adverse reactions, try a larger portion.

Last edited:

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up on these. they are all over my woods. Never thought about tasting them before

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Cool, so you can eat a wild leek.... replacing a small onion... Just curious, does your wife deny kissing you after you've been chew'n a leek?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I pulled some up today. They are all over right now and ready. We always called them ramps.

Only way I can stand to eat them is to trim up the green tips and use them like you would chives. Any more than that and it seems every thing taste like onions for a week.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I pulled some up today. They are all over right now and ready. We always called them ramps.

Only way I can stand to eat them is to trim up the green tips and use them like you would chives. Any more than that and it seems every thing taste like onions for a week.

We call them ramps as well, but some people refer to wild garlic as ramps and that makes it a little confusing.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    Back home in PA every spring they have Ham and leek dinners. If you like any type of cooked greens, here is a way to prepare leeks that will solve the strong taste and smell.

Get yourself a ham bone and cook it like you were making bean soup. After it has cooked for a while add the cleaned leeks and cook until they are tender. Dish them up..add some butter salt and pepper...delicious.

Like any cooked greens they cook down to nothing so it takes alot.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Perhaps "ramp" is an older name. I remember my grandmother would use them and some thick bacon when see cooked green beans. It has been a long time since I tasted something that good.

NRA Lifer since 1971

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We spent the day at Clifty Falls today, and thanks to this thread we were able to identify and note that leeks are all. over. the. fricking. place. down there.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We spent the day at Clifty Falls today, and thanks to this thread we were able to identify and note that leeks are all. over. the. fricking. place. down there.

Pretty soon you'll be able to find some mint or spice bush for tea to go with them.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I had never heard of a "ramp" until last week. Apparently over here in Ohio the have a big ramp festival every year. I am going to have to see if I can find some now just to say I did.

Top Bottom