• ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Background, Reason for Attending, Course Selection
    I’ve been interested in taking an “advanced” driver course for some time now. I have committed a fair amount of time and money to firearms training. I have committed some to medical training. I’ve spent some time learning empty-hand skills. None of that training really addresses the time when I am statistically most at risk: While driving my car. There were 21,626 total violent crimes in Indiana during 2011 vs 188,132 motor vehicle accidents in the same year. (I made no attempt to compare injuries, narrow it to accidents with injuries, remove less-violent crime like larceny and theft, etc. I’m using broad numbers just to make a comparison.) I have a fairly long commute at about 70 miles one way, and do a fair bit of travel for work. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. All of the above leads me to believe my risk of injury or death is probably much higher from a car accident than a violent encounter with a bad guy.

I am not a professional driver, I do not do executive protection work, I’ve never been a police officer, and I was not in the military. As much as I would love to learn counter ambush techniques, PIT maneuvers, evasive driving, and how to spot a tail, if I’m honest with myself, I really have no practical need for those skills. Those kind of classes typically range into the thousands of dollars, and that stretches my training budget a bit. I really wanted to take my girlfriend and my brother to the driving class as well, but neither has the financial resources to do it on their own. So I decided to pay their tuition to the course and that also made the longer, and more expensive (probably more fun) programs a no-go.

I was looking for a course that would address my needs as an average Joe on the road. I had heard of VDI through some folks at Tactical Response, and also from AARs posted online. It was a little out of the way (NJ), but I could not seem to locate anything local that fit the bill. Other schools were about the same distance, at the same or higher cost, but did not have endorsements from people I’d trained with.

The Basics
    School: Vehicle Dynamics Institute
    Course: Accident Avoidance
    Date: October 25, 2014
    Duration: 9 Hours
    Location: Old Bridge Township Raceway Park 230 Pension Road Englishtown, NJ 07726
    Instructor: Dan Donza
    Assistant Instructor: Owen
    Students: 12 students. Three women and nine men. Three students were teenagers who had been driving less than one year. The following INGO members were in attendance: Jackson, jason, BLOOVMAN (He just happened to be in the same class. We didn’t know he was going to be in attendance.)
    Cost: $425.00
    Stated Objectives:

1. Learn crash avoidance techniques.
    2. Be smoother with a car.
    3. Learn to operate at 70-75% of vehicle capability (where most people use 30% of that capability).

Related Threads

1. Tactical/Offensive driving classes?
    2. Vehicles and Defensive Tactics

Summary

This course teaches basic car control techniques and runs through a few drills to reinforce those techniques. Overall, we felt the course was worthwhile and provided good information and valuable experience. It is rare to get an opportunity to test your driving skills in a safe way under the watchful eye of a knowledgeable instructor.

Details
    We arrived at the training facility around 0730 for a 0800 advertised start time. The course was to be conducted in the large, flat parking lot of the raceway park facility. VDI was running three classes that day. The class running next to us was Immediate Action Driving Skills. I never heard what the third class was. The class started off a little slow and we didn’t get started until 0830.

facility_zps33e74341.jpg

The class began with introductions. None of the students had any significant driver training. Three were teenagers who recently started driving. Most of the folks were from the local area, New York, New Jersey, a few from Pennsylvania. Dan Donza was the lead instructor for our class. He served 14 years as an NYPD driving instructor. Our assistant instructor, Owen, had served in the US Navy in various roles and several deployments to the Middle East.

After introductions, Dan explained some of the class objectives and started in on the classroom lecture. He explained that VDI’s primary business was teaching high-risk personnel (executive protection, military, and law enforcement) how to deal with ambushes and difficult car situations. He went on to say that vehicle accidents have many of the same elements and issues, such as limited time and space to deal with the problem, and the same tools (from a car/driver perspective) with which to deal with those issues.

The lecture continued with some general topics on how to drive more smoothly, where to look, and the three primary inputs we have to the car (brake, throttle, steering). Dan told us about “g’s”, which is a measure of a specific car’s ability to maneuver and handle turns. He also discussed how the average driver uses, or is capable of using, about 30% of the average car’s ability. The objective of this course was to get closer to 70% of the car’s ability. The lecture talked about timing, speed in feet per second, reaction times, mechanical delay, and other factors that would affect handling of the vehicle. He also covered tires, tire inflation, and the impact of both on car handling and maneuvering.

Before moving out to the cars Dan went over the safety protocols and we all signed safety waivers. He then diagramed and explained the first exercise on the white board. This would be the basic class format. We’d have an explanation and discussion of the exercise in the classroom then go out to the cars to do it live. Once out in the lot he demonstrated proper seat position, hand placement on the wheel, foot position on pedals, etc and we were broken in to pairs and assigned to a vehicle. The girlfriend and I were put in vehicle 4, a used Crown Victoria police car. Jason and my brother elected to run the course in a ¾ ton Chevy Suburban. Each car was issued a radio with which to communicate with the instructor.

Sedan_zps6f2e51fc.jpg
    SUV_zpsfadd3d28.jpg

Exercise 1: Slalom Course (4 cones)
    The first exercise we ran was a four-cone slalom course. The objectives were to help students understand timing, weight transfer, and relative speed. The cones were spaced at 60 foot intervals. We performed several iterations of this exercise at increasing speeds between 28mph and 34mph (SUVs ran slightly slower on each exercise). Each exercise was done at a very specific speed. One instructor would stand off to the side and observe and/or coach over the radio while the other operated a radar gun to check our speed. The goal was to maintain an even speed through the maneuvers, stay close to the cones, and not hit any cones. Maintaining an even speed required accelerating through the exercise where it felt like slowing down was the right way to go. It was interesting, but after one or two runs it seemed pretty easy even at the highest speed. The biggest takeaway was that I needed to use more steering input than I expected to complete the exercise correctly.

Exercise 2: Brake and Turn
    After lunch (provided by VDI), we came back to the classroom to discuss the second exercise. This exercise involved driving toward an array of cones set up with a lane that curved off to the right and a solid barrier of different colored cones at the back of the curve. There was a signal light set up just before the exercise area. For the exercise we would drive at the cone lane getting up to the prescribed speed. When our vehicle was a given distance from the obstacle the instructor would turn on the signal light which indicated we needed to brake hard (as hard as we could) and curve to avoid the obstacle (staying inside the curved lane). The cars were outfitted with a g-force meter to measure the amount of g’s present during our stop. Higher g’s indicated that we’d reacted faster from throttle to brake, and stopped faster. The cone lane measured our ability to control the car through the hard braking and avoid obstacles. This exercise was done at speeds between 36 and 44mph.

Exercise 3: Evasive Lane Change
    The third and final exercise was called an Evasive Lane Change. This consisted of a set of cones indicating an entrance gate, a large array of cones laid out about the size of a car directly in the path of travel, and an exit gate opposite the car-sized obstacle. Two signal lights were placed at the entrance gate which the instructor used to signal the direction you should swerve just before you entered the obstacle. So the driver would drive toward the entrance gate, just before s/he was past the signal light (nearly to the obstacle) the instructor would signal indicating to swerve to the left or the right, and the driver would need to react by swerving in that direction around the car-sized obstacle, and back in to the original lane and out an exit gate (opposite the entrance gate). This was done at speeds between 28 and 32mph. I've included a crude diagram of the exercise below. The red cones at the top and bottom are the entrance and exit gates for the exercise. The yellowish-green cones at the bottom represent the placement of the direction signals.

exercise_3_zpsdbf51a5e.png

When everyone had completed the last exercise at each speed we went back to the classroom for a quick wrap-up. Each student received a certificate of completion and a Res-Q-Me tool to take home.

Thoughts and Conclusions

Overall, we all thought the course was worthwhile and provided solid information. The exercises reinforced the concepts and provided some skill advancement. It is rare to get an opportunity to drive this way, and receive input from experienced instructors on how to improve or maintain better control of the vehicle. The primary take-aways included required steering input, accelerating through maneuvers rather than braking to avoid a collision, hand position on the steering wheel, appropriate tire pressure, and seeing the differences between the SUVs and the sedans.

There were a few things we saw as down sides to the course. There was significant down time. With 12 students in 6 cars, each student was only in the driver’s seat half the time. Each exercise was run one at a time. So even when we were in the driver’s seat, we did more waiting and watching than driving. We estimate we only spent about 10% of the class actually driving. The rest was spent waiting, watching, or riding. Each driver performed each exercise an average of four times. So 12 exercises per student for the day. Each lasting about 30 seconds makes for about 6-10 minutes of actual driving time for the course.

If there had been additional instructors to allow us to run two groups in parallel, or fewer students to allow VDI to squeeze in an additional exercise or two, we’d have felt like we got more value for the time and money spent. We don’t want to come off like the course was poorly managed. In fact, we felt the instructors did a great job with the time and resources available. Exercises were set up while we were in the classroom being briefed. They moved students through in an organized manner saving time where they could. At no point did we feel held up by the instructors methods, but with the number of students and cars, the downtime could not be avoided.

The only other downside is that we didn’t feel like we hit the top end of our ability, or really learn our limits. Exercises were conducted at relatively low speeds and after a couple iterations didn’t seem too difficult. We went in hoping to have an opportunity to learn more about our limits. However, we understand this is not a racing class, and it is open enrollment. The intent is to teach the principles, and to do so safely. However, this is another area where we’d like to have seen a little more and learn a little more about ourselves as drivers.

Overall we feel the course was worthwhile and provided a valuable experience. If this class were local, I’d say it was worth every penny. As it was, it required 20-some hours of drive time for the round trip and a hotel stay for four people. When you add that in, the value proposition shifts the other way a bit. I will say the VDI instructors were professional and knowledgeable. The course was well-run and the exercises were informative. If I could find a local class like this, at a similar price point, I would probably attend periodically just to keep up the skills and get the experience.

I would also say, based on my experience in this class, I would recommend VDI’s longer format classes. If the travel time and costs were defrayed over a three day course with 3-4x as many exercises and drive time, it would have seemed much more worth the effort. I did talk briefly with a gentleman from the Immediate Action class, who had previously taken the Protective Driver course, and he highly recommended both.

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    It looks like I didn't get any video of the second exercise. It was right after lunch and I think we just forgot. Here are a few vids of the other two exercises we did in the vehicles. I've thrown in a few different views so you can get an idea what we did in the class. I also tried to show the sedans and the SUVs.

Exercise 1, third person, SUV:
    [video=youtube_share;VR8bTtF4JJg]http://youtu.be/VR8bTtF4JJg[/video]

Exercise 1, first person, SUV:
    [video=youtube_share;lKpaoZGYPdE]http://youtu.be/lKpaoZGYPdE[/video]

Exercise 1, another view:
    [video=youtube_share;HwMVKPf7-_E]http://youtu.be/HwMVKPf7-_E[/video]

Exercise 3, third person view:
    [video=youtube_share;WqTTqCtYeQA]http://youtu.be/WqTTqCtYeQA[/video]

Exercise 3, first person view:
    [video=youtube_share;URn9alzJCWo]http://youtu.be/URn9alzJCWo[/video]

Exercise 3, SUV, from the side:
    [video=youtube_share;r1xbFl1x_HY]http://youtu.be/r1xbFl1x_HY[/video]

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for the review Jackson. I did not get to a driving course this year though I had wanted to. One of the issue's with driving courses may be similar to gunfighting courses. The cool stuff you are only going to do either in class or when you need it for real, which is not desirable. Did any of the staff give pointers on how to keep your skills fresh without going to a racetrack (or severely breaking the law)? The only professional driving instruction I had was at the Police Academy. For a few years I got to use it a lot. Now of course it has been many years since I had to use extreme driving skills. No doubt my skill has diminished. Like the self defense world though, much of the solution lies in being observant of what is going on around you.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Thanks for the review Jackson. I did not get to a driving course this year though I had wanted to. One of the issue's with driving courses may be similar to gunfighting courses. The cool stuff you are only going to do either in class or when you need it for real, which is not desirable. Did any of the staff give pointers on how to keep your skills fresh without going to a racetrack (or severely breaking the law)? The only professional driving instruction I had was at the Police Academy. For a few years I got to use it a lot. Now of course it has been many years since I had to use extreme driving skills. No doubt my skill has diminished. Like the self defense world though, much of the solution lies in being observant of what is going on around you.

They really didn't give any pointers on how to practice the skills. As I mentioned, the class really only went through three exercises. There was some talk among other students about the idea of setting up cones in a large, open, empty parking lot. All of the exercies we did were performed under 50mph, and could reasonably be done in a parking lot without really breaking the law too badly (tresspass, and maybe the speed limit if one is posted in the parking lot).

I would really like to go back for their three-day protective driver course. It is a prerequisite for the Immediate Action curse. The Immediate Action course looked like what I'd really like to do. It seemed like counter ambush type drills including pushing dead cars, PIT maneuvers, avoiding the PIT maneuver, backing exercises, etc. I am very confident those drills would require much more space and a couple cars you didn't care too much about to try out.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Excellent write up. It's a shame you didn't get more wheel time.

I've been looking for a good basic driving class and it looks like this one doesn't fit the bill, especially with it being all the way in NJ.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Excellent write up. It's a shame you didn't get more wheel time.

I've been looking for a good basic driving class and it looks like this one doesn't fit the bill, especially with it being all the way in NJ.

I found it pretty hard to find a good driving class in the area. You can see in one of the linked threads that Cedartop had also been looking for a driving class in the area, but he could not locate one either.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Man, those pot holes alone are a road hazard.

Wasn't just the potholes, there was plenty of screws, bolts, and other metallic debris out there too. Nobody got a flat though. We did have a good chuckle about the pothole when we were lining up in the suburban for our first exercise. 10 feet to the right or left and there wouldn't have been any potholes before the first turn in. We didn't notice it too much after that.

I really should have gotten a picture of the front tires of that suburban. All of the crown vic's had relatively fresh tires, but you could see the belt in some spots on our fronts.

When talking with Dan, he said they typically get 16 classes out of a set of tires, and waaaay less than 1k miles. I'd be surprised if they get over 500 miles per tire. Even though we put less than 10 miles on them, there was noticeable degradation on the outside edge at the end of class.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    FYI, the Sport Car Club of America (SCCA - The Sports Car Club of America - Home), sponsored by TireRack usually has these types of car control events all over the country.

There are multiple ways to get involved:
    Specifically targeted at teen drivers, once or twice a year - Street Survival (Tire Rack Street Survival | "Teaching Your Teen Driver to Survive Behind the Wheel" ~ $75) involves both classroom instruction about vehicle dynamics and safety, followed by hands-on driving instruction very similar to what's described above. Sometimes they'll have a local FD bring a truck out to practice wet-skid avoidance/correction. Often they'll have a tractor-trailer to demonstrate the lack of visibility from inside the cab.

For everyone with a car, some low-CG trucks/wagons/cross-overs, usually 8-10 times a season - Solo2 or Autocross (The Sports Car Club of America - About ~ $35-$60 depending on local rates) - these are run typically in open parking lots with traffic cones defining the course. Cars compete against a clock with safety in mind. There's far less instruction, but you'll be able to get as much assistance as you like, as long as you're comfortable asking for it. When you register, tell them you've never done this before and see if there's a Novice Chief/Instructor available. Everyone else was new once, and most of them will gladly help you and ride along to provide feedback. You'll learn a ton about what you and your car can do, and what happens when you try to make it do something the physics won't allow.

Often there will be autocross driving schools specifically to help get you up to speed (Starting Line, Evolution Driving School, Local Novice schools). I STRONGLY recommend them as you'll get far more seat time, as well as high-quality instruction to help you do things you might not have thought possible in a vehicle. But don't let their timing cause you to wait for one. If you think you might want to try it, sign up and attend a regular event. Don't be shy and ask for help.

Again, the best part about these events is that they're relatively low cost, frequent, and fairly close by (especially in the Central/Northern part of IN, but they are nation-wide).

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Hey rosejm, thanks for the info. That looks like really cool stuff. I don't know that I have a vehicle that would be appropriate to take to one of these. I have an older SUV. I'm going to look in to the TireRack class though.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    From the TireRack driving program FAQ:
    What is the minimum and maximum age a student can be to participate in a Tire Rack Street Survival school?
    Licensed or permitted drivers, ages 15 to 21 are allowed in the program.

Looks like I don't meet those requirements. Sounds like a great program for teenagers and young adults, though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I used to work for the big evil companies we would go to these types of classes every two years. Take our company trucks and run the courses. One outfit even had a special car with dual rotating axels to simulate skid recovery. First time I attended one of these we managed to roll a trailer while attached to the truck. Yep if you pulled a trailer you were supposed to bring it along. Second time I went my company vehicle was a short bed Dodge 2500 with a V10 engine. I came close to messing myself at one point, not sure the instructor didn't. Both times somebody brought a rental car and we disabled the antilock brakes by pulling the fuse. Thrashing cars you don't own yourself on the company time. Good times, ahhhh good times.

Top Bottom