• ...and so much more!
  • sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Here is the original thread for the class which occured on March 15, 2014:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...l-protection-march-15th-columbus-seymour.html

Late last year I had a weekend off so I decided to partake in one of (ingo member) VERT's NRA Basic Pistol classes.

The class was a 4 hour class/range course that went over basic pistol safety, functions, operation, target etc.
    Overall I enjoyed the class. The instructor Nate was able to dedicate much needed personal attention to several of the class attendees that were starting out. The class was also helpful and interesting for the more experienced attendees (never can have too much knowledge).

So with that said I had a hunger for the more dedicated NRA Personal Protection in the Home class that was also conducted at SandCreek Conservation Club near Elizabethtown, Indiana.

Knowing that I usually work Saturday's I was not able to RSVP a spot in the class. Low and behold I did get the Saturday off. So that morning I drove down to the Conservation Club and located Nate (VERT) who welcomed me into the class (around 8am).

Equipment you will use:
    1. Coffee and a donut (or breakfast).
    2. Bottled water or Gatorade
    3. A pistol, 2 magazines, 100-150 rounds ammunition
    4. Holster, magazine carrier, belt
    5. Appropriate clothing for outdoor weather: For this day a warm hat, fleece, and pants sufficed. Sunglasses were nice to have.

The classroom is a "no live rounds" clean/safe environment.

The facility has a nice climate controlled, well lit classroom. The instructor came prepared with many props as well as the presentation via PowerPoint.

The instructors for the day were Nate Kemp, Craig Hetiseimer, Assistant Instructor Bryon Gilbert.

Class began at or around 8:30am. Most had started reading and signing the paper work a little earlier than that.

Craig was one of the first presenters with the safety protocols in case of a negligent/accidental discharge requiring medical evacuation.

Nate presented much of the NRA curriculum as well as hosted several of the discussions. The other instructor Craig Hetiseimer was focused more on the handling and operation of pistols, as well as the marksmanship aspect.
    The class went over the NRA Basic Safety procedures for safe firearms handling. Many of the presentations deal with the use of firearms for self defense in the home.

The legal presentation was given by Sgt. Bryon Gilbert of Charlestown PD. He went over use of force and the definitions of 'reasonable' force. Also very good question and answer session, as well as open discussion.

The course is split into about half classroom presentation and the other half range session.

My thoughts:
    The instruction is very professional and safe. I was a very attentive listener and I could not find any "holes" in their instruction. I consider myself a experienced intermediate shooter and consider the class; time and money well spent.
    The course is an enjoyable experience for shooters as well as those who are just starting out in the world of firearms.

If you are on the fence on taking this course; DO IT!

ETA: this class is a qualifier for the Florida CCW permit application.

Instructor Craig Hetiseimer range time:

The low ready position:

Firing from cover:

Instructor Nate Kemp admiring the nice group produced by a G19!

1911 group produced by Churchmouse

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I always thought this class was poorly named. It is part of the requirement for your MI CPL. (Concealed Pistol License) It is solid information, but classes of this type can really be made better by good instruction and you had a couple of great ones. Nate and Craig are terrific guys. They have always been true gentlemen from the little bit that I have been around them. I know for a fact that they are knowledgeable and good shooters, even if they choose the 1911 as their platform.:D Thanks for the report and glad you had a good time.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Great pictures and thank you for the kind words. We have a great time with this course.

FYI that 1911 group was shot by none other then INGOs Churchmouse.

Cedartop. dontfeed :laugh: We all know you are a secret 1911 guy. The Well Armed Woman met today at Sand Creek. My wife shot her M&P and said it is OK but still a bit hard for her. Then she demanded my Wilson Combat, it was like a light bulb went off. I then loaded up the 9mm SW1911 and that was the ticket. She immediately asked for a 9mm Wilson. I told her the local shop has a 9mm Nighthawk, to which she replied that she liked the name. Hmmm......... Time to trade in more polymer?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for posting the review. It sounds like a good class. I will have to look for it the next time around.

September 13th. We do this course twice a year at Sand Creek. 8 - 12 people is the class size. Sgt. Gilbert will be back and we have another Instructor, Gordon, who is exceptional working with newer shooters. We work hard to make this course interesting for the experienced shooters and still introductory enough for the novice. Our target audience is couples.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    She immediately asked for a 9mm Wilson. I told her the local shop has a 9mm Nighthawk, to which she replied that she liked the name. Hmmm......... Time to trade in more polymer?

This sounds like some fun... I wouldn't mind a 1911 in 9mm, myself. Sadly, I don't know that I have enough polymer to trade in! :(

Let me know when you start looking to move some of your polymer... Might have an interest... :n00b:

Top Bottom