• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Nice cheap home defense option, but I'm not sure a ten dollar discount will entice people to go through the trouble of waiting and driving to a particular FFL...least not for me. :twocents:

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    How do you plan on a $50 discount? Isn't the transfer fee per each? Also, Shipping? Sure you will save a couple of dollars shipping 10 or so of them to the same FFL, but I don't think you will get the price anywhere near $100 per handgun.

I would be for it if they were $125 including transfer.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    How do you plan on a $50 discount? Isn't the transfer fee per each? Also, Shipping? Sure you will save a couple of dollars shipping 10 or so of them to the same FFL, but I don't think you will get the price anywhere near $100 per handgun.

No I'm pretty sure its $50 per transfer not per gun.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN

so Im thinking if we bought over 5 guns it would be $140 + about $10 for the shipping and ffl so you would have about $150 in the gun all together

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    so Im thinking if we bought over 5 guns it would be $140 + about $10 for the shipping and ffl so you would have about $150 in the gun all together

How would you plan on splitting the FFL fee? Has the FFL already approved of this idea? Do they already charge less than 10 dollars for a transfer, that you could get the transfer AND shipping for 10 dollars? I think your math may be a little bit off on only adding 10 dollars.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    How would you plan on splitting the FFL fee? Has the FFL already approved of this idea? Do they already charge less than 10 dollars for a transfer, that you could get the transfer AND shipping for 10 dollars? I think your math may be a little bit off on only adding 10 dollars.

the transfer is $50 at the local dealer.
    split that by 5 people that is $10 apiece.
    I do understand you still have to add shipping.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    the transfer is $50 at the local dealer.
    split that by 5 people that is $10 apiece.
    I do understand you still have to add shipping.

I'd be somewhat interested if the total cost were about 140, but I'm still not convinced here.

Even if the dealer cost if 50 per order of guns, you're not asking him to do multiple guns on one call, you're asking him to do 5 guns for 5 people on 5 calls (assuming no one buys 2).
    But if he's in for it, then cool....just sounds unlikely.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I'd be somewhat interested if the total cost were about 140, but I'm still not convinced here.

Even if the dealer cost if 50 per order of guns, you're not asking him to do multiple guns on one call, you're asking him to do 5 guns for 5 people on 5 calls (assuming no one buys 2).
    But if he's in for it, then cool....just sounds unlikely.

Why wouldn't one person buy the guns and sell them ftf to every else?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I was hoping to split the ffl fee and shipping so its more like a $50 discount.

Okay, I see here...so $50 dollar savings compared to
    $150 price for (1) gun
    $10 shipping
    ~$40 transfer

So its a good idea and deal if your FFL will work with this plan, and if people can't find another FFL who does a 10-15 dollar transfer.

Is that right?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Why wouldn't one person buy the guns and sell them ftf to every else?

Because in announcing that that is the intention, it has become a straw purchase.

If you were just buying 5 and then suddenly realized you needed to sell 4 to make ends meet, that'd be one thing (legally, but it may still be a contention if found out.)

I know this deal is not worth it, but I appreciate you looking into it.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Because in announcing that that is the intention, it has become a straw purchase.

If you were just buying 5 and then suddenly realized you needed to sell 4 to make ends meet, that'd be one thing (legally, but it may still be a contention if found out.)

I know this deal is not worth it, but I appreciate you looking into it.

is that not what everyone at a gun show is looking to do?
    Buy a gun there and sell it before you leave for a profit?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Here it is spelled out conversationally.

ATF Online - Training - Firearms - Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide Learning Theater - Straw Purchase Attempt Transcript

This is the relevent part:
    Not always. A straw purchase is a purchase in which the actual purchaser uses someone else — a.k.a. the “straw person” to make the purchase and complete the paperwork. Generally straw purchasers are utilized because the actual purchaser is not eligible to conduct a transaction because they’re in one or more legally prohibited categories, such as being addicted to a controlled substance, being a felon, being underage, and so on.
    However, a straw purchase occurs even when the actual purchaser is not a prohibited person. The crime committed is knowingly making a false statement on the Form 4473 indicating that the straw purchaser is the actual purchaser, when this is not the case.
    Felons, who are also prohibited from conducting a firearms transaction, will sometimes attempt to obtain guns this way, because they wouldn’t pass the NICS background check and could not truthfully fill out Form 4473. If, however, Bobby was with his father or other legal guardian, and his father was legally eligible to obtain the handgun as a gift for Bobby, his father would fill out Form 4473, undergo the NICS check, and assume legal responsibility for the transaction and the gun. Bobby’s father could truthfully complete the Form 4473 to indicate that he is the actual purchaser because he would take title to the weapon and then transfer the firearm to Bobby as a gift.
    You'd be breaking the law because to pass the background check you would affirm that you were the intended owner (purchaser) of the firearms, when in fact you were planning to FTF them to 4 other people

Top Bottom