• ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Hey everyone-
    Decided to do an AR build (Poor Man's Style).
    Wanted to keep costs down to a minimum, so here she is...:D

Specs:
    DPMS Sportical 5.56
    Typical AR platform

Things it DOES NOT have:
    Dust Cover
    Forward Assist
    Shell Deflector
    Chrome Lined Barrel

Things Added:
    Levang Comp
    Badger Ext. Latch
    Hogue Grip
    Magpul CTR Stock
    Harris Bipod

Glass:
    Center Point Adventure Series 4x16, 40mm

For all purposes, I wanted to keep it pretty simple and cheap, so I went with a basic AR platform, and cheap glass. Now before you start ripping into me about what a cheap skate I am-I just want to say that this build serves its purpose and doesnt break the bank.

I was initially worried being a "Left Hand" shooter that the brass would end up hitting me, not the case. The Sportical ejects the brass far away from the shooter and there is really no need for the forward assist-have not had any issues, a dust cover would be nice but really isnt neccesary.

Had time today to go out and try out the scope I had just purchased, a Walmart Special-
    I was shooting either Remington or American Eagle 55gr. FMJ
    Here is my target, 10rnds/100yds

Conclusion, there are alot of threads about what is the cheapest or best AR to buy/build, I believe its all personal preference. Yes you can spend a fortune if you want, or you can go cheap. I wont sit here and bash anyone because of what they bought/built/own.

My setup works for me, now initial costs werent bad if your looking to pickup one of these AR's.

Cost:
    DPMS Sportical: I got a deal on this, retail they run around $699 give or take, I right around $599-not bad being new.
    CenterPoint Scope: (Walmart Special) $69

All the other add on's are just personal preference, but I had most of that stuff from other AR's of mine. Just a note, the Sportical does not come with any sights-you get a hard case and (2) 30rnd mags/cleaning kit.

I use 20rnd Pmags with ranger plates, works good with a bipod. So I can say that this is a cheap and great shooter!
    Thanks for looking! :D

Last edited:

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Great project! Good cost control on most all and I'll bet it will shoot a 5.56 down-range about as accurately and quickly as if you had spent twice that.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Nice AR. I'm particularly interested in the upper receiver. Looks very sleek and smooth without the fwd assist and shel deflector. Is that part of the DPMS sportical package?

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Yes, comes as a complete rifle, not sure if it is available seperately, but DPMS is just a phone call away. The one time I contacted them, they were very pleasant and helpful.

I am very happy with the overall project, cost and the performance.
    I to really liked the "smooth" look of the upper. The gun sat for awhile and thats why I think I recieved a great deal, I just think for most AR builders/owners that the lack of forward assist, shell deflector and dust cover turned them off to the gun.

I know the 308 version is pretty much identical in design with the smooth upper, again no dust cover, shell deflector or forward assist!

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Hey thanks for all the compliments! Love to tinker, and if I can save a buck here or there, well...why not. I have a family to worry about, so money is always an issue. But...I am pleased! :D

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Who cares how little you spent - that is a great group! Is that the best one of the day or a typical group?

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Its hit and miss, I usually can shoot tight groups, now throw in a BBQ and beer the night before, well...not so well. (Beer's Fault)

Its funny though if you think about it, my parents were never outdoors people or into shooting(owning guns). I really never shot anything until 91 when I joined the Marine Corps, and thats where I learned to shoot!

Hooked ever since, I love achieving those type of groups. and thats what I strive for!!:rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Build looks great! It's also very cool that you spent 1/2 of what a typical carbine would cost. If you had to guess at the original purchase price of the other items you already had on hand, what do you suppose the TOTAL price would be as it sits?

You've appointed it very nicely. Its obvious you let your mission drive the gear train, which is important.

Top Bottom