• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I am looking to get my first AK here in a few weeks. I have had my mind set on an underfolder due to the compact package that it offers, and the fact it just looks cool. My friend is telling me to get a fixed stock because it will be more accurate and comfortable to shoot.

You guys that have one, the other, or both, what do you think? Pros, cons, etc.

Thanks for the input!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    There is a third option, the AK102 type stock, which is a side folding "fixed" stock, so you get the best of both worlds.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I like the look of an underfolder also but own fixed stocked models. The one thing I noticed when holding an underfolder in a shooting stance was the metal stock pressing intio my face. Could paracord it I guess.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Underfolders are cool as heck however they are a bit different to shoot but not too bad overall.

A full stock or side folding 100 series is about as good as it gets.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Underfolder AKs are among the coolest among AK lovers and most hated firearm by the antis.

If you must weld your cheek to a rifle to shoot it, the underfolder might not be for you. I learned long ago to shoot "off cheek" because there are some weapons you should not weld your face to, like pistols....

As for accuracy, they are no better or worse than a fixed or side folder. By coincidence my most accurate AK variant is a Norinco 84S-1! (5.56x45 underfolder)

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    My favorite drop in folding stock is the Romanian/Polish/East German wire stock. It folds to the right so it allows use of the side rail if you like that. Also the curve in it allows operation of the bolt and safety while folded.

The new AK-100 series are the best overall IMO but require the trunnion and receiver to be specialized for it so it isn't drop in.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a Romanian and yugo UF, both are wrapped in paracord, and aren't bad to shoot. a little less comfortable than a fixed stock IMO, but when I go to the range, I leave the fixed stocks at home. UF ak's are crowd pleasers and a lot of fun! Some complain of UF stocks being wobbly, I haven't noticed it in mine. If I had to pick only one ak, it would be my yugo UF. My side folder romy is wrapped in paracord too, I would say it is a pretty sweet setup too, but would still take my UF. Good luck man, can't go "wrong" either way!

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I meant to get an underfolder when I went in to pick mine out, but they all seemed loose to me. So I got fixed stock.

Maybe I'll get an under-folder later; who knows?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Go ahead and get the underfolder. Anybody that likes AK's needs to have one. You can get the full stock and sidefolder versions later. Go for it.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You can mount a side folding stock to almost any rifle if you buy an internal receiver block and an ace stock.

Of course if you want a REAL compact AK, get a draco and sbr it.

mine :)
    picture.php

You can go even shorter with a mini draco, but they weren't out when i made mine or i may have gone that way. Regardless I really like the ace side folding stock for compactness so that gets my vote.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    AK folding stocks in general are great at folding, but suck as a stock. The Century Series solid sidefolders are the best of the breed (save maybe for some of the ACE configurations), but all a folding stock is really good for is reducing the amount of space needed for transport and storage. Function-wise, a fixed stock (or better yet, a collapsible) is the way to go.

My :twocents:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My first AK was a WASR 10/63 which I immediately converted with a Tapco sidefolder. About 8 months later, I bought a WASR 10/63 underfolder. It has become my "carry gun" and is the one I shoot the most. I haven't noticed any difference in accuracy (which may reflect my marksmanship more than the weapons' accuracy). My underfolder has some _slight_ play in it, as I've been assured that most underfolders do, but I actually find it easier to get down low enough to use the sights correctly with the underfolder than with my sidefolder. I've wrapped both sides of the stock tubes with paracord, which makes for a tight fit when it's folded, but allows me to use both sides for shooting. I've got red dot sights on both rifles, but where I put a quadrail on my first one, I went "minimalist" on the other, keeping the the lower wooden forearm and adding an Ultimak gas tube and a nice 3-rail accessory that mounts in front of the handguard.
    WASR1063Underfolder001.jpg

WASR1063Underfolder006.jpg

Last edited:

Farley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Bartholomew County
    I love my AK underfolder!!! I've never had a problem with comfort although I could see if you were at the range ALL day it might get a little uncomfortable. I don't regret getting the UF v/s fixed stock at all and as others have said it comes with some major cool points. Oh and did I mention it will fit into a tennis racket bag. The only major difference I've noticed is mine didn't come with scope mount on the side, which creates somewhat of a problem if you want to scope it because there aren't a lot of other options (at least that mount securely). Then again I didn't buy it to be accurate I bought it to be reliable and that she is!!

:ar15:

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Yeah, I wasn't real sure if I really wanted an AK and so I got a CIA underfolder....I love it. A few weeks back we had some friends get together and shoot. The full auto AR and my AK underfolder were the hits. It is a cheeeeaaap rifle that is reliable. My :twocents: is to tell you to buy whichever, you can't go wrong.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I too had to have an underfolding AK back in the day. Still have it a Chinese type 56.
    Used it alot but it sits in the safe now as I learned long ago that the full stock or side folding stock is better on YOU after thousands of rounds of 7.62x39.
    Trust me, you want something that looks cool, carries easier, get the downfolder. You want something for rugged use over a long period of time, choose a fixed or sidefolder.

Top Bottom