AK-47 - Current Quality, what's out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Ok guys, I know there have been TONS of discussion topics and threads on what AK-47’s are top quality and what you should look for. However, I can’t seem to find those discussions in one place. Also, the market seems to continue to change, so if the threads are old, they may no longer apply. Essentially, I don’t want to be annoying by starting another thread, but I don’t seem to be able to find what I’m looking for. The bottom line is that I’m frustrated by the seemingly endless amount of scattered info out there, but no real place to get an overall grasp. The threads I’ve seen on here are ok, but the ones like “show and tell” are really more about telling what you have, not what makes something good or bad. So, my purpose is two-fold. First, to provide a thread aimed at discussion on quality AK-47’s. Who makes them and what makes them top-quality. Thus, I'd like to know the why behind things, not just that it's good (which is still helpful, but I'd like to know the details).

Second, as the first specific topic, I am in the market for one either now or very soon. I purchased a Polish Milled at the last Indy and love it. However, I went with the intention of getting something to make tactical and “battle ready.” I was not able to bring myself to “mess it up” by changing everything on it (it really is a classic beauty). Also, on a more practical note, I really wanted a buffered stock tube and they don’t seem to offer them for milled receivers (I’m not scared of recoil… I eat 50 cal for breakfast and Mosins for brunch, but want one anyone can shoot accurately). So, I’m curious what should a person be looking for, for a mid-to-top-quality AK-47 stamped? Below I’ll list the items that I’ve already purchased to make this thing tactical and battle-ready. I have an ok budget, but of course would like to save where possible.Also, if you notice something missing, let me know!

Things I’ve already purchased:
    Midwest Systems Quad-rail Hand guard
    Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope (purchased as package with above)
    Primary Weapon Systems FSC47 Flash Reducing Compensator (if you don’t know this one, you should)
    MAKO recoil-buffering buttstock (6-pos AR style - Mako Group SBT-K47FK-BK)
    Hogue Rubber grip with storage
    Black Jack AK-47 Recoil Buffer
    EMA Tactical AK Mag Release
    Osprey bi-pod grip (I’m debating a fixed bipod later)
    A sling I don't have a clue how to use. I bought it at the indy thinking it'd be easy to figure out... well, it's not (and I can't remember who I got it from)!

Things I know I want in the new AK:
    7.62 chambered, no question
    Stamped AKM
    Ribbed cover (though I could always purchase later)
    Double-arm trigger pull
    Mag guide
    And then, I’m torn between a chrome barrel or the classic steel. I understand the chrome barrel should be less maint and durable, but some say steel is more accurate… input?
    I’m also torn between a laser and scope later, as opposed to the red dot

So, thus far, I have found a few possible contenders:

First is the IO Inc AK47 C Liberty Rifle (AK 47 Assault Rifle Sale)
    The benefits here is that it’s pretty basic, so I’m not double-purchasing items and at least claims to be high-quality and has a limited lifetime warranty

Second is a basic “sporter” from the following company (SPORTER Rifle 7.62x39 BLACK POLYMER)
    The benefit here is similar to the liberty but a little more expensive and no lifetime warranty

Third is the Hellhound (hellhound-fixed stock)
    The benefit here is that It already has the rail system installed and comes with the scope mount. But, that means I’d have to unload the Midwest system I already purchased. I also think the connection of the gas tube is rather ugly on this one.

I have also considered a WASR. I have a friend with a pretty decent tactical wasr and despite their bad press and bashing, the thing is a work-horse. I’ve considered getting one, but it’s not quite as accurate as I’d really like. At the same time, I’m not sure that even in a battle setting, I’d be trying to pick someone off over 100 yards away. At the same time, I’d like to know that I could ;).

So, please share your thoughts!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a WASR with a crappy Tapco folding stock. I have put nothing else into it other than several thousand rounds, and it has never failed me. If I were trying to knock a man down at 100 yards, I could easily do it with that rifle, with open sights. If SHTF, that rifle would be with me. If I wanted to tacticool something, I would probably get an AR. :twocents:

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I have a WASR as well. It's seemed to do me well for the price. Only had a jam issue because of one of the magazines. Last round is too loose in the mag.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I know what you're going thru. There's so many AK's it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    I'll only mention what I have real, hands-on experiance with, which any of them would be good options.

A Chinese AK variant. These can be found in excellant conditition and are very robust and reliable. They sometimes aren't cheap, it depends on who has it. Look for one that does not have the slant cut @ the rear of the receiver. Also look to see that the muzzle is threaded. Many times the muzzle nut is tack welded on. It is a simple task to cut the weld and clean up the affected area. I have found some that the muzzle nut had not been tack welded. Chinese AK's take a double hook trigger. In fact the original Chinese FCG are some of the best so don't throw away or give away your Chinese FCG parts. The Chinese stamped receivers are thicker and you will have to do more work fitting the buttstock but it is worthwhile.
    Arsenal SGL21. A very solid and reliable AK, well-built with excellant parts. There's not a lot I can say about them except I'm sure you would not be disappointed with one. One warning. The finish they put on them does not tolerate harsh cleaners such as brake parts cleaner ect. If you buy one be sure to check into what you should and should not use as a cleaner.
    WASR. Hand pick one. I'm sure you've heard that countless times. The only real complaint I had with mine was that they (Century) had welded the gas piston to the carrier instead of pinning it. I replaced the carrier and piston and now I'm happy with it.
    I know nothing about the Royal Tiger guns you linked, or the other one either. Maybe someone will come along who does have some experiance with them.
    I looked at the Royal Tiger site and bought a new-in-the-wrap HK-made MG42 Lafette tripod with optic and illuminator. I would not have found it without you, and I owe you one. Thanks.
    If I can help you with your AK quest let me know.
    BTW I am not an expert. I just know what my real life experiances have been.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I haven't came across a bad AK yet! :D If your going to change all the stuff on it anyways I would suggest a WASR. They're about the cheapest you can buy and the several examples I have played with have shot great. Some have mag wobble, canted sights, just pick it up and check it out before you taek it home. My :twocents:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have ready many times the differences between the lower and upper priced AKs are mostly cosmetic. All of them are typically reliable and have similar accuracy. I don't know how true this is, but I do know that for my purposes a functional, non-canted WASR fits the bill. I spent about $375 on it and bought another gun with the difference in price with an Arsenal. $0.02

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I have the Yugo M70ab2 and it is my favorite rifle of all my guns. It has the black polymer furniture on it and a folding stock. The only mod i added to it was a cheek rest on the folding stock (which makes it look even cooler). Everything about it is well made. This one is a keeper.

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Krebs Customs is where my dream AK would come from. I've got a tacticool WASR and the thing is a machine. I've put over 1000 rounds through it and other than 2 fail to feeds out of the first magazine ever run through it in 4 degree weather on new years day after I bought it, it's been dead nuts reliable. With a co-witnessed red dot it's fast to acquire and recoil is manageable with the recoil buffer.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Ok guys, I know there have been TONS of discussion topics and threads on what AK-47’s are top quality and what you should look for. However, I can’t seem to find those discussions in one place. Also, the market seems to continue to change, so if the threads are old, they may no longer apply. Essentially, I don’t want to be annoying by starting another thread, but I don’t seem to be able to find what I’m looking for. The bottom line is that I’m frustrated by the seemingly endless amount of scattered info out there, but no real place to get an overall grasp. The threads I’ve seen on here are ok, but the ones like “show and tell” are really more about telling what you have, not what makes something good or bad. So, my purpose is two-fold. First, to provide a thread aimed at discussion on quality AK-47’s. Who makes them and what makes them top-quality. Thus, I'd like to know the why behind things, not just that it's good (which is still helpful, but I'd like to know the details).

Second, as the first specific topic, I am in the market for one either now or very soon. I purchased a Polish Milled at the last Indy and love it. However, I went with the intention of getting something to make tactical and “battle ready.” I was not able to bring myself to “mess it up” by changing everything on it (it really is a classic beauty). Also, on a more practical note, I really wanted a buffered stock tube and they don’t seem to offer them for milled receivers (I’m not scared of recoil… I eat 50 cal for breakfast and Mosins for brunch, but want one anyone can shoot accurately). So, I’m curious what should a person be looking for, for a mid-to-top-quality AK-47 stamped? Below I’ll list the items that I’ve already purchased to make this thing tactical and battle-ready. I have an ok budget, but of course would like to save where possible.Also, if you notice something missing, let me know!

Things I’ve already purchased:
    Midwest Systems Quad-rail Hand guard
    Vortex SPARC Red Dot Scope (purchased as package with above)
    Primary Weapon Systems FSC47 Flash Reducing Compensator (if you don’t know this one, you should)
    MAKO recoil-buffering buttstock (6-pos AR style - Mako Group SBT-K47FK-BK)
    Hogue Rubber grip with storage
    Black Jack AK-47 Recoil Buffer
    EMA Tactical AK Mag Release
    Osprey bi-pod grip (I’m debating a fixed bipod later)
    A sling I don't have a clue how to use. I bought it at the indy thinking it'd be easy to figure out... well, it's not (and I can't remember who I got it from)!

Things I know I want in the new AK:
    7.62 chambered, no question
    Stamped AKM
    Ribbed cover (though I could always purchase later)
    Double-arm trigger pull
    Mag guide
    And then, I’m torn between a chrome barrel or the classic steel. I understand the chrome barrel should be less maint and durable, but some say steel is more accurate… input?
    I’m also torn between a laser and scope later, as opposed to the red dot

So, thus far, I have found a few possible contenders:

First is the IO Inc AK47 C Liberty Rifle (AK 47 Assault Rifle Sale)
    The benefits here is that it’s pretty basic, so I’m not double-purchasing items and at least claims to be high-quality and has a limited lifetime warranty

Second is a basic “sporter” from the following company (SPORTER Rifle 7.62x39 BLACK POLYMER)
    The benefit here is similar to the liberty but a little more expensive and no lifetime warranty

Third is the Hellhound (hellhound-fixed stock)
    The benefit here is that It already has the rail system installed and comes with the scope mount. But, that means I’d have to unload the Midwest system I already purchased. I also think the connection of the gas tube is rather ugly on this one.

I have also considered a WASR. I have a friend with a pretty decent tactical wasr and despite their bad press and bashing, the thing is a work-horse. I’ve considered getting one, but it’s not quite as accurate as I’d really like. At the same time, I’m not sure that even in a battle setting, I’d be trying to pick someone off over 100 yards away. At the same time, I’d like to know that I could ;).

So, please share your thoughts!

Most of the things you got are pretty good. Get rid of the EMA mag catch, It's a bit awkward and doesn't fit very well with some AK mags, especially steel with the rib on the back. I'm not sure what you mean by double arm trigger pull, but if you mean a double hook trigger, it's not necessary. As far as I know the Chinese AK's (Mak90) are the only one that come from the factory with a double hook trigger. A double hook trigger will require modification to fit in many AK receivers. Go with a chrome barrel. The non-chrome lined barrels are mostly US made and sometimes inferior quality. As far as the accuracy issue, it's not even something to consider on an AK. You should watch some youtube videos slow motion of AK vs AR being fired. When the AK is fired the barrel looks like it's made of rubber, the way it flexes. So the durability vs accuracy argument with an AK chrome lined barrel is heavily weighted towards durability, especially since some of the AK ammo on the market is corrosive.

As far as the IO (all the rifles you have listed other than the Wasr are made by IO) AK there are many mixed reviews. They are luck of the draw but nothing that can't easily be fixed (which is good since their customer service isn't very good). The benefit is that the IO is an American rifle. WASRs are good for the money in the AK world but you have to hold it and check it out before you buy one due to mag fit and cant issues with the FSB and gas block. One benefit of the WASR is the things you've already bought should fit. If you bought a Mak90 you would have some fitting to do to get you're parts on it (stock, handguard, etc.). A Romanian Sar-1 would be a good choice, if you can find one since for the most part it hasn't been molested by Century and has the traditional mag dimples. The down side of a Sar-1 is you would have to thread the barrel for a flashider and it has no bayonet lug.
    Try to stay in the $350-$450 range, since you've already spent quite a bit in after market parts, and if you sold the rifle you'd never get your money out of it.:twocents:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ok, here is my opinion. Take it or leave it, but Im more of an AK purist.

If you want one of the best built box stock aks out there, its hard to go wrong with an SGL-21 from Arsenal.

BUT, if you want an AK to hang all that stuff on, buy a wasr and be done with it.

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    Thanks for all the responses thus far guys. I had to step away for a few days b/c family emergency, but I'll read through these in the next day or two max (didn't want to post and run )

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    I know what you're going thru. There's so many AK's it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    I'll only mention what I have real, hands-on experiance with, which any of them would be good options.

A Chinese AK variant. These can be found in excellant conditition and are very robust and reliable. They sometimes aren't cheap, it depends on who has it. Look for one that does not have the slant cut @ the rear of the receiver. Also look to see that the muzzle is threaded. Many times the muzzle nut is tack welded on. It is a simple task to cut the weld and clean up the affected area. I have found some that the muzzle nut had not been tack welded. Chinese AK's take a double hook trigger. In fact the original Chinese FCG are some of the best so don't throw away or give away your Chinese FCG parts. The Chinese stamped receivers are thicker and you will have to do more work fitting the buttstock but it is worthwhile.
    Arsenal SGL21. A very solid and reliable AK, well-built with excellant parts. There's not a lot I can say about them except I'm sure you would not be disappointed with one. One warning. The finish they put on them does not tolerate harsh cleaners such as brake parts cleaner ect. If you buy one be sure to check into what you should and should not use as a cleaner.
    WASR. Hand pick one. I'm sure you've heard that countless times. The only real complaint I had with mine was that they (Century) had welded the gas piston to the carrier instead of pinning it. I replaced the carrier and piston and now I'm happy with it.
    I know nothing about the Royal Tiger guns you linked, or the other one either. Maybe someone will come along who does have some experiance with them.
    I looked at the Royal Tiger site and bought a new-in-the-wrap HK-made MG42 Lafette tripod with optic and illuminator. I would not have found it without you, and I owe you one. Thanks.
    If I can help you with your AK quest let me know.
    BTW I am not an expert. I just know what my real life experiances have been.

Thanks for the input, hadn't thought about the Chinese. Glad I was able to help, though completely unaware... have fun and if you ever want a shooting buddy or just someone to watch you use that thing :popcorn:. I'm a sniper at heart, but there's still something about total destruction :D

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    You can also pimp your wasr by sending it off to jim fuller at rifle dynamics. His work is impeccable.

Rifle Dynamics 07 FFL/SOT - Las Vegas | AK Rifles

He goes over the gun from head to toe and makes it better than anything store bought.

You can also buy an sgl as they're great straight from the factory.

SWEET link, thanks :rockwoot:. That looks like a serious contender. I love precision. Do you know if the sgl is compatible with most of the standard AK stuff... I thought they were a different platform. BTW, nice to see you on here... met you at the last Indy

Top Bottom