• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I am starting to look at .22LR semi-auto rifles.

I was looking at the M&P 15-22 and I like.

To me there's lots to consider. Price being a big factor for me. Future add-ons. Quality. Reliability. Etc...

So... opinions?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hurry up and make 50 quality posts.

If you like the M&P 15 then get it by all means it is sweet and so is the colt.

Semi auto 22's to me mean one of two guns the ruger 10-22 and a marlin model 60. I will have a marlin model 60 available soon in the classifieds. You could shoot for a year or two in ammo with the price difference in the marlin as compared to the smith or colt in price alone and the marlin will most likely group better.

Bumsi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Mc Cordsville
    If you are not limiting yourself to the AR-15 style then I would go with a Ruger 10/22. It is customizable and mine has lasted me over 20 years with tens of thousands of rounds downd the barrel. Also, it is less than half the cost of the other two mentioned.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    :+1: Ruger 10/22. Great 22 to start out with and hundreds of options if you want to customize and build what you want. If you want a AR style go with the Colt

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cool as the AR look alikes are, they are nowhere near "best values." You are paying a lot of money for the looks. There are a number of .22s available for a good bit less money that are more accurate, more reliable, and less finicky. If future add ons are important to you, there really isn't a better choice than a Ruger 10/22. I don't think there's a gun on the market with more accessories and choices available. Value wise, the Marlin Model 60 and Model 725 are more accurate than the Ruger and cheaper, and the Mossberg Plinkster (a 725 copy) is also an outstanding choice.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Ruger 10-22, Marlin 795 and 60 are all good choices, Ruger being the most customizable. I'm getting great service from a new Remmy 597 with the current factory 10 rd mags and aftermarket hicaps. Having great luck ( 0 jams ) with some $7.99 Eagle 30 rd mags from CDNN. Maybe 1000rds so far. I agree , the AR types look cool but at a high price.

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Ruger 10/22! It's very reliable and affordable. Out of the box it's not as tacticool as the AR style rifles. But, there are plenty of aftermarket parts to make a very unique and accurate rifle.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Ruger 10/22! It's very reliable and affordable. Out of the box it's not as tacticool as the AR style rifles. But, there are plenty of aftermarket parts to make a very unique and accurate rifle.

Gotta second (third, fourth, whatever) that opinion.....inexpensive, reliable, and lots of custom stuff available.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I would not buy a AR lookalike 22lr.

I have seen too many returns.

The best AR looking 22, is a AR with a 22lr upper.

If you go traditional, which I would reccomend anyway, a ruger 10/22 would probably be the most enjoyment over your lifetime, its fun to customize, easier to use for appleseed than any other type.

Dont quibble over "well this 22 is 30 dollars cheaper". Just buy the one you like, the ammo is cheap, and enjoy it.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I own the M&P 15-22, it was on sale at Midwest Gun in Mishawaka for $369. I believe that price is good until Tuesday if you are somewhat local to them.

From what I saw when I was researching the AR style 22s, is the Colt isn't even made by Colt, its made by a company that is primarily in the airsoft market and Colt just buy it and puts their name on it.

I haven't had an issues with my 15-22, when looking around online I knew it wasn't perfect, but I really cant complain about mine. Pretty much any issues that there were have been taken care of.

Ruger also sells a "tacticool" version of the 10-22 as well, but its more expensive. But by the time you buy a 10-22 and spend all the $$ on the accessories to get it to look like an AR, you are better off just buying a 15-22, Colt, or even the Sig 522.

Check out this forum for info on the 15-22
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Wow... great info!

I was definitely looking at the Ruger 10/22. Most of you backed up my thoughts on it. Sure the 15/22 is very cool but it's bigger $$$ more $$$ to make it the way you really want. Thanks for making good sense. :D

Then how about these questions...
    Which version of the Ruger 10/22?
    and...
    What are must haves for the Ruger 10/22?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Wow... great info!

I was definitely looking at the Ruger 10/22. Most of you backed up my thoughts on it. Sure the 15/22 is very cool but it's bigger $$$ more $$$ to make it the way you really want. Thanks for making good sense. :D

and...

Answer to question one is "any version you like" and the answer to question 2 is

Magazines, bullets, and a 1000 round trigger job.

After that you will know which direction you want to take it.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Well... perhaps I should state the questions more clearly then. ;)

Which version of the Ruger 10/22 is better for upgrading/modding?

What are the must-have upgrades for the 10/22?

Thanks in advance!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Wow... great info!

and...

If you plan on doing add-ons and mod's, go with the little carbine with standard barrel. Super cheap and very accurate right out of the box...for less than $175. Must have are whatever you must have to achieve the look or goal you seek. As for mine, I just did minor adds with a 3x-9x 40mm scope with sight-thru rings, Tapco Intrafuse stock, stubby grip and two Butler Creek 25 rd mags. It's now highly versatile to target shoot, hunt squirrels, plink the hell out of all the raccoons that get try to get into the chicken coop or horse barn and just plain looks and is fun to shoot. Using the standard barrel, CCI Stingers are the best loads I've found to use in mine.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well... perhaps I should state the questions more clearly then. ;)

Which version of the Ruger 10/22 is better for upgrading/modding?

What are the must-have upgrades for the 10/22?

Thanks in advance!

Extended mag release (so you don't have to jam your finger in to release)
    Nylon bolt buffer (stock it a steel pin)
    Auto Bolt release (one handed operation vs. 2 in stock mode)

After that, triggers, sears, hammers, it's endless and addicting.

Top Bottom