• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I am looking for something new for a BUG and off duty weapon. Something small but not too sub compact to wear off duty on my hip if I want.
    I have been carrying a G27 for BUG, but looking to change things up a little.
    I have heard good things about KAHR, and I was looking at the P9. It's light, thin, small enough for ankle carry but works well as off duty hip carry also.
    I also being a Glock guy have been curious of about the G36 with the single stack. The G27 was always kind of chunky for my ankle, this seems to solve this problem.
    Anyone out there got either of these or shot them and have any feedback. I unfortunately have never shot a KAHR so looking for feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    I have the CW9093 model, which is a polymer frame model. It has been perfect. NO FTF, FTE, or Failures of any kind. It is my BUG. I have heard things about some of the other Kahr models, but can't speak to that.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Glock Lover, I've got a G36 that I've put 600 rounds through without any problems and 200 of those were straight out of the box.
    I think the G36 is a nice hip carry gun due to how slim it is and it's weight. IMHO it's too big for a bug.
    I've also got a Kahr PM9 that I really like. When I first got it it sometimes wouldn't go back into full battery but after replacing the recoil spring I've had no more problems with it. The PM9 is one of the two guns that I qualify with my old department. It's small , lightweight and shoots better than I can. I'm not that good of a shot due to nerve damage in my right arm from a spider bite.
    I'm still able to shoot 220's out of 240 using a B-27 target from the 3,7,15,25 yard lines. The Kahr is my summer and vacation, suit and tie carry gun.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Glock Lover, Love my G26, about 2500 rounds through it without a problem, but then it is a Glock. Duh
    Anyway isn't the 26 and 27 about the same size? I don't know if there would be much of a difference in size or weight in carrying a 26 instead of a 27.
    Another one you might look at is the Para Ordnance Carry 9, slim, 24 ounces empty, 8+1, 1911 style.
    It would be nice if Glock would come out with a single stack 9mm on a slimmer frame.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I was trying to make the same decision a while back. I ended up with the Springfield XD9SC. I am very happy with it. On the Kahr I know a guy that has 4 different models, he has never had any trouble from either of them and he shoots them well. After talking with him, I would not be afraid to buy one.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Based on what I have seen in person I would not trust my life to a Khar and will never buy one.

I think this needs some justification. What do you see? Not trying to start anything, but say that about anouther pistol, and get flamed. I have no dog in this hunt, I am just interested.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have seen 3 Khars in person. None of them ran with out problems. I'm sure others on this board have had better experience but based on what I have seen I will not own one.

I think this needs some justification. What do you see? Not trying to start anything, but say that about anouther pistol, and get flamed. I have no dog in this hunt, I am just interested.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have seen 3 Khars in person. None of them ran with out problems. I'm sure others on this board have had better experience but based on what I have seen I will not own one.

What kind of failures? I have seen a number of differt types of pistols run and have problems, I look to the owner for the issues.
    I do not own a Khar, I am just interested in the specifics.

Thanks

Roncho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I have a G22 for home defense and a Kahr PM9 that I carry. After participating in a group training at New Castle a few weekends ago I'm now having some reservations about the PM9.

My wife trained with the Glock while I trained with the PM9. The PM9 comes with a 6 and a 7 round mag. I have read alot of bad press about the 7 round (and it has a butt-extension so it is a little more bulky to carry with), so I only carry the 6. During the training, I had to reload quite often, as I had the lowest capacity gun. To keep up with everyone, I used both mags. I had 3 FTF(ire)s when the instructor borrowed the PM9, checked it out and gave it a lube job. For the rest of the training I had 1 more FTF I believe for a total of 4 altogether. Three with the 7 round mag, and 1 with the 6 (I think). The 7 round mag might need a weaker spring, as the instructor suggested. The first round out of the 7 seemed to be nosediving into the feed ramp.

I have over 1000 rounds through the gun and have had no problems whatsoever on the range, but during training we were drawing from holsters and doing some other drills...a little more realistic than the range. And that's when the failures occured. That's enough to get me rethinking carrying this gun. All I know is, at the end of the day, after about 170 rounds, I had 4 bullets in my pocket that didn't go bang.

So, for me, the jury is still out on the Kahr. I'll try some drills at the range to try and reproduce the problems. If I can reproduce them, I'll try to fix them and see where that leads. If I can't reproduce them, then I'll always wonder when the problem might rear its head. If that's the case, I'll probably sell it and buy another Glock.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yeah the dimensions of the G26 are the exact same as the 27... I just threw it in there to get opinions.

I own or have owned all four pistols mentioned - G26/27, G36 and Kahr P9. They all have their strong and weak points. For a backup gun, the P9 is going to be the lightest and thinnest option. If you thought the G27 was too chunky for your ankle, the G36 isn't going to be much of an improvement (the slide width is virtually the same, and the grip, while thinner, is also longer). IME, the G26 is the most "shootable," followed closely by the G27, with the P9 and G36 tying for third. Reliability-wise, well, Glocks rock. :rockwoot: My Kahr P9 is an early model and had some teething problems, but those got sorted out some time ago and the gun has been very reliable since.

If your issue gun is a Glock, I would stick with that brand for your backup/off-duty gun as well, just to keep your manual of arms and overall "feel" the same. The Kahr trigger, while nice, is a completely different beast than the Glock "Safe Action" and can take some getting used to in order to manage it properly. For that reason alone, if Glock ever makes a small single-stack 9mm pistol, I'll dump my P9 in a heartbeat!

Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    I own or have owned all four pistols mentioned - G26/27, G36 and Kahr P9. They all have their strong and weak points. For a backup gun, the P9 is going to be the lightest and thinnest option. If you thought the G27 was too chunky for your ankle, the G36 isn't going to be much of an improvement (the slide width is virtually the same, and the grip, while thinner, is also longer). IME, the G26 is the most "shootable," followed closely by the G27, with the P9 and G36 tying for third. Reliability-wise, well, Glocks rock. :rockwoot: My Kahr P9 is an early model and had some teething problems, but those got sorted out some time ago and the gun has been very reliable since.

If your issue gun is a Glock, I would stick with that brand for your backup/off-duty gun as well, just to keep your manual of arms and overall "feel" the same. The Kahr trigger, while nice, is a completely different beast than the Glock "Safe Action" and can take some getting used to in order to manage it properly. For that reason alone, if Glock ever makes a small single-stack 9mm pistol, I'll dump my P9 in a heartbeat!

Yeah I wish there was single stack 9mm Glock.
    Appreciate the feedback so far guys/gals!!
    I tend to be a Glock snob cause I love them so much, but want to be open to other options if there is something better out there for a BUG (cause there isn't anything better for a duty weapon :runaway:). Heard good things about Kahr wanted to test the waters, so far I have my reservations. We'll see.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom