• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Been looking to trade in my Sigma. LOL yea yea I know. I was looking at a Glock 22 but fell in love when I held the Baby DE. Anyone own one, shot one, comments, complaints?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I hear nothing but good about Glocks. And after watching some guy on you tube with a full auto put 298 rounds down range and still working.... But I really like the look and feel of the BDE. The one i looked at was a semi-compact .40. I think i'd rather have the 9mm but I wanna hear from someone who owns one before I make a decision

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    [sarcasm]The Desert Eagle sure is the Pinnacle of reliability.[/sarcasm]

This might just be me, but in a hand gun I might one day have to use to possibly protect myself or my wife from harm. The last thing I want is a hand gun that I'm not 100% certain will go bang with a boring monotony.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm so glad I found these Forums. I've learned more here than by reading anything in the state/federal laws, asking in a gun store where all they wanna do is sell you something, or even on the ranges I've been to. I'm also looking forward to training and help train my youngin's in firearm safety. If I am going to own one (like everyone should) then they should know about them how to safely handle them and how to go about acting and reacting should they find one somewhere other than my home.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Didn't know they made polymer DEs.

I didn't either til I checked out the vid of the wife with the DE that smacked her face! I started reading up on them and asking around. Haven't heard one bad thing about them. And it fits my hands well and the trigger is SOOOOOOO much better than this sigma! I like the sigma, but I can't get past the trigger issue.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The Reviews of the Baby Eagle read like it's a CZ/EAA Witness knock off/clone

at a higher than CZ or EAA Witness price..... Not sure what prices look like in the real world. Just what I've been reading since the "Baby Eagle" I'm not very familiar with at all. I know the full fledge Desert Eagle is not known to be real reliable.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    First off, I was referring to the full sized Desert Eagle, which is a completely different pistol than the Baby Eagle. My comment was based primarily on the few Military/Ex Military friends I have. However browsing through Google resulted in a number of decent resources.

However This link had the following to say.

Pistol technical reliability is named by later numbers: .357 Magnum model's recoil spring takes 5000 rounds while .50 AE approximately 3000. After firing such quantity of rounds it takes to replace ejection spring and ejector both. Barrel takes approximately 100 000 rounds. Such numbers are quiet usual unfortunately the "Desert Eagle" is considered as not enough reliable of another reason. Pistol's unique technology and powerful cartridges both cause a number of failures. Furthermore failures are more problematically to eliminate comparing with other ordinary pistols.
    Unfortunately the "Desert Eagle" Self-loading Pistol failed to achieve reliability required for a combat pistol. Police forces rejected this pistol of it's too large dimensions, heavy weight and low magazine capacity. Also used by the police forces in an urban area it becomes dangerous for civilians as bullet proofing target has enough energy to hit the other. The same reasons made it unpopular among the special forces. It is an expensive weapon. As a result it's maintenance is also quiet expensive.
    Replacing springs at 3000 - 5000 rounds means practicing with the pistol gets expensive as you get to include spring replacements into your ammo costs. The failure clearing drills means skills learned on the DE don't translate to other Auto Loading Pistols, and vise versus. Not something I'd be looking for in a Defensive tool..........

Regarding the pistol you asked about specifically.....

Reading about the Baby Eagle, it sounds like the average gun magazine review guy (who I believe about 28% of what they write) say the pistol should be fine for Defensive use. Since it looks like it relies heavily on the CZ / EAA Witness polymer framed pistols it's got a good pedigree......

I'd really put a lot of thought into something Shay said at the New Castle training a few weeks ago though. "I wish people would bring pistols to these classes that run." When asked which pistols run he responded simply "Glocks, Sigs, and HKs"

Do other pistols work? Sure. The above three have a track record that's pretty hard to argue with though.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    My brother in-law bought a 9mm Baby Eagle back in the late 90's (maybe?) and it was not reliable with anything we feed it. He had sold his Glock a few years earlier and was regretting it big time.

My advice is to buy a Glock also. Some hate, most love the Glocks but noone can argue their reliability and durability.

If I am not carrying a Glock 19 then its probably a Kimber .45.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I liked the article, cougar. I think I'll go with the eagle. I'm getting a Security job and they provide glocks until i get my permit so we'll see how i like both! LOL Thanks so much guys

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Just traded my Sigma for a Semi-compact BDE. Gotta wait til the 9th. :( Oh well. It's worth the wait. I highly recommend AAC Guns in Moorseville. Great prices and selection and Excellent customer service.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm getting a Security job and they provide glocks until i get my permit so we'll see how i like both!

So when you get your permit they will take away your Glock? I'm lost. . .

On a side note, people who work security qualify for Glock's LEO discount. Therefore IF you like the Glock and IF you want to carry one (which I think you should, IMO), you can purchase one from a LEO Glock Dealer with 3 15rd magazines for $398. All you need is a letter of employement on company letterhead. Just FYI.

(see how I threw in those acronyms for ya?? lol)

LEO = Law Enforcement Officer
    IMO = In My Opinion
    FYI = For Your Information

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LOL No they don't take it. It's just there for those who don't carry their personal. As soon as I get my permit I'm carrying my own because it's the one I'll train with, and the one I will be depending on on a daily basis.

As for the Glock. Thanks for the heads up, i was unaware. See how informitive these forums are?!?! LOL And I can figure a few out, but I just wanted to be sure... :p Others like, IMHO, FTF, FTE, I had no clue! I opened that thread because maybe there were more clueless people out there than me on the acronyms! Again tho, thanks.

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i own a 2nd gen Glock 22 and a 9mm Baby Eagle. i have NEVER had any problems with either firearm whatsoever.

last summer i ran the baby eagle through Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol class. it was about 750rds over 2 days in 95+ degree heat. i chucked it on the ground a good 6 times and the gun never malfunctioned once.

now you do have to get by the fact it is a DA and very similar to a Beretta 92 with the slide-safety/decocker. of course the glock doesn't have that to fiddle with but i don't mind either and practice drawing with both firearms.

the first thing everyone says when they pick one up is, "wow, this thing is heavy". well yeah, it is. but it really helps with recoil.

Top Bottom