• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I recently purchased a Taurus 445, a 5-shot .44 Special revolver. The 445 was previously produced in a heavier version; this is a new (2011 manufacture) ultralight version that weighs in at only 22 ounces, model 445B2UL (here is a link to the official Taurus page for this firearm).

First of all, let me admit that I'm excited to have a .44 Special. I've carried many calibers, and my usual carry is a .40 S&W. At times I pocket-carry a S&W 442 (.38+P), and I feel it's an excellent weapon at close range. But I have always been intrigued by the .44. I have not personally fired a .44 Magnum, but from what I've read, I gather it's somewhat impractical for self-defense purposes due to the recoil. The .44 Special round is impressively larger than the .38, but should be much more controllable than a .44 Magnum, especially in a small, light package.

Now for the photos:

445Left.jpg

445Right.jpg

445Front.jpg

Sorry about the lint on the grip--the Taurus "ribber" grip is comfortable to hold and absorbs a fair bit of recoil--but it's practically impossible to get 100% of the lint off these things!

Fit and finish is pretty good. The attention to detail is not as high as would be the case with a Smith and Wesson; the blueing is nice, but not perfect, with a few areas, mostly around screws, where shinier metal is showing. But in my opinion, it far exceeds the fit and finish of a Charter Bulldog; I've handled these at gun shows, and felt that they were VERY rough and uncomfortable (the cylinder release, for example, was actually painful to operate on the Charter, but is normal on the Taurus). And S&W doesn't currently make an affordable .44 Special, so I think the Charter is the 445's main competition. The 445 costs a little more (I paid $379.95 at Bradis), but the extra seems very much worth it.

The trigger pull on this 445 is NICE. Double-action is quite smooth and breaks cleanly; the single-action trigger is VERY smooth and crisp. I don't have a trigger-pull gauge, but I'm less interested in the numbers than I am in the feel of the trigger, and this one, out of the box, is impressive, especially for a sub-$400 weapon.

At the range, I used Hornady Critical Defense 165-grain. That's a pretty light bullet for a .44, and the recoil wasn't bad at all--a bit more than .38+P, but much more comfortable than .357 Magnum.

I've not fired many rounds through this revolver yet, but on my first time at the range, shooting without support on a cold, rainy day, with no experience shooting this caliber, I was easily able to keep the rounds within about 1.5 inches at 7 yards in single-action fire. The sights are right on at 7 yards with this particular loading.

With rapid double-action fire, it wasn't hard to keep the rounds in the center area of a piece of paper...say 3 inches. Not great, but with practice I'm sure I could do much better. This is certainly not a target weapon, but its accuracy should be adequate for self-defense. I'll be interested to see how accurate it can be with practice, and maybe in the hands of a better marksman than me.

I purchased an inexpensive holster at Bradis, which is designed for a K-frame Smith, but fits this 445 just fine. It carries well and feels pretty light on the hip. I'm thinking about options for carrying this in a nicer leather holster. I believe anything made for a 2- to 3-inch barreled K-frame should work for the 445.

Overall, I'm impressed. This is a darn good weapon for its price point, and a nice alternative for those who prefer revolvers but want something bigger than a .38 but recognize that a .357 can be difficult to shoot through a platform this light.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks for the nice review; enjoy the gun! We have 445s back in-stock in blue and stainless now; glad to see Taurus helping to keep the .44 Special alive. Now if they'd only bring back the same gun in .45 Colt...

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    my dad has an older production titanium one that is a lighter color blue with the ported barrel. It an awesome gun.
    Good luck with your 44

Those are cool--another two ounces lighter, and an interesting finish. Mine is not ported--with the Hornady Critical Defense, it doesn't need to be, but we'll see how I do with heavier loads.

I just ordered a Lee Loader in .44 Special, and I'm looking forward to trying some of my own reloads in this revolver. I don't do much reloading, but my .357 Lee Loader works great, and you can't beat the price if you're only going to do a few reloads here and there.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    Thanks for the nice review; enjoy the gun! We have 445s back in-stock in blue and stainless now; glad to see Taurus helping to keep the .44 Special alive. Now if they'd only bring back the same gun in .45 Colt...

Thanks again to you guys for good service and a great selection...I might find myself coming back to buy the matching stainless one!

I agree, a .45 Colt version would be very cool. I guess they assume that people will just want to buy the Judge, to have the flexibility to shoot those .410 shotshells. But I'd really rather have that one big bullet, and the Judge is unnecessarily large if one wants to carry .45 Colt.

One question for anyone out there--does HKS make a speedloader that will work with a 5-shot .44 Special? I looked on their website, and the model CA-44 speedloader is supposed to work with the Charter, but the 445 isn't listed. I bought some Bianchi Speed Strips, but using them seems a little awkward.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :yesway: Congrats on the new revolver. Nice piece. I started reloading the .44 SPL this summer and been having a lot of fun with it. Its has ballistics similar to the .45 ACP my favorite. I'm looking for a Taurus Tracker 455 model in .45 ACP with a 6" barrel in stainless steel. But they were discontinued mid 2000's. I'll keep my eyes open for one. TNX for the post. :D

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Been carrying and loading for .44 Spl. since the 80s. In my opinion it is the best CCW caliber around and I've tried a few. When S&W introduced their 696 L frame .44 Spl. I HAD to have one. Walked into the Indy gun show and found one in back in 1996. Oh yes. This gun should have been made 50 years ago. But since the ammo manufacturers won't offer doodley squat in .44 Spl. it did not sell. Handloaders like me though ate them up. Now the 696s are a collector's item and prices have become totally stupid for used ones. If you can find one that some moron didn't try to make a .44 Magnum out of it with handloads buy it. Check the forcing cone carefully though, a lot of idiots have cracked them and now there are no barrels left at S&W for these guns. One last piece of free advice, forget about light loads like the 165 gr. stuff. You want at least 200 gr loads (215 to 225 is perfect) to gain the superior performance that the .44 Spl. is capable of. 240 gr. is just a little too heavy in a snub gun and will shorten its life if fed a steady diet. But a 200 gr. going 850 to 900 fps...it just doesn't get any better. John Browning's original concept for the .45 ACP was going to be a 200 gr. @ 900 fps. Now you can get it in a snub revolver.:yesway:

Top Bottom