• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    After shooting 200 rds I wanted to field strip and clean my new pistol. No problem taking apart but when I removed the bolt a small piece (metal chip) fell out also. After insepcting the bolt it looks like a small chip had come off the recoil spring assembly at the end of the spring guide. I have photos that should help explain. I reassembled the pistol and it seems to function properly but I have not shot it any more. Is this a major problem? Can that spring and/or guide be replaced by me? and if so where is the best place for parts or repair if I can not do it.

picture.php

picture.php

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    broken metal pieces found in any firearm, or other machine for that matter, are a problem. the ruger you have is over engineered, but i would return it, or at least contact ruger, and get a replacement piece. it will likely run just fine as it is, but i do not recommend firing that pistol until you secure a new piece.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Do not fire the gun with that piece broken.

Contact Ruger via phone tell them your recoil spring assembly, Ruger part# KA-57, broke after 200rds fired, they will more than likely send you out one for free.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Do not fire the gun with that piece broken.

Contact Ruger via phone tell them your recoil spring assembly, Ruger part# KA-57, broke after 200rds fired, they will more than likely send you out one for free.

Thanks for the info....is that an easy piece to replace? Its a little more disassembly then the "manual" sugest. I only field stripped it to the manufactures recommendation. I found the part for about 7.00 but would feel more comfortable if I had some instructions on how to replace.

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    I have a friend that the same thing happened to return it or call ruger they will replace the part or the gun. Give them a call don't fire the weapon until it is fixed by competant gunsmith.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Called Ruger 1st time answering machine, left message. I have no patience when it comes to new guns so I called back 15 minutes later, a live person answered took my name and address and said part is on its way no charge. Oh yea and even I can replace it...lol...

Thanks Everyone for the advice....Darn I have to wait now....and all I have to do is walk out my back door to shoot.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    easy

The part you are refering to is very easily replaced by you. If you run into any problems with it check out Rimfirecentral.com. It is a website dedicate d to rimfire and it is amazing what some of the guys can do with their firearms as far as modifications.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The part in question is very easy to replace. Ruger will more than likely send you the whole assembly, it is just a matter of compressing the spring a bit to remove the old assembly, and then the same to install the new. VERY easy fix.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Got the part today easy replacement. Going out back to shoot it now. If I don't make back soon.....well you know. Do not send help :D

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I am glad you got the gun fixed quickly. I had a guy trying to sell me another one of those if you are looking. Your experience with that one made me shy away from buying it.

Plus the fact that you can't customize them with different grips.

Top Bottom