A single tip is enough to get you put on a Terrorism Watch List; 440,000 on the list

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Officials say they have made it easier to add names to their terrorist watch list and "improved" the government's ability to thwart an attack in the United States. One single tip can get you placed on the terrorist's database. They admit that at least 440,000 American citizens are suspected terrorists at present.

Terrorist watch list: One tip now enough to put name in database, officials say

440,000 Americans??? Where is this going?? :n00b:

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    I know im on it. Well come to think of it i might just well be on that list. I meet a lot of the right wing extremist, things they tell you to be on the look out for.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It is a sad commentary on the state of affairs of a nation when it's citizens come to fear it's own government as an enemy within. :xmad:

I guess 'Preserving the Constitution' has been a duty left soley to the technicians at the National Archives in a literal sense, because it sure doesn't seem like it's an active function of government anymore. :(

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Officials say they have made it easier to add names to their terrorist watch list and "improved" the government's ability to thwart an attack in the United States. One single tip can get you placed on the terrorist's database. They admit that at least 440,000 American citizens are suspected terrorists at present.

Terrorist watch list: One tip now enough to put name in database, officials say

440,000 Americans??? Where is this going?? :n00b:
    The end of the same paragraph reads:

The vast majority are non-U.S. citizens.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    One single tip can get you placed on the terrorist's database
    of course the tips are put in a database, where else should they keep them? Post-it notes on some fat dudes monitor?

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Just posted this in another thread, but it's apropos here:

...and yet, we have members on this forum who believe that if a person is on a terrorist watch list, that is sufficient cause for them to be imprisoned, tortured, and/or executed without any kind of proof or due process.

The bar for declaring someone a 'terrorist' is getting lower all the time...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The end of the same paragraph reads:

Hmm... Good catch. I thought that I had previously read that the "total" watch list was much larger than that. Okay, I did. This article came from early in 2009.

Terrorist watch list hits 1 million - USATODAY.com

This source says the list is 1,000,000 total, with about 95% of the people on the list being foreigners. Which means 50,000 Americans could be on the list, if that source is correct.

Either way, sources are saying that (at least) tens of thousands of American citizens are suspected terrorists. That is troubling in itself.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hmm... Good catch. I thought that I had previously read that the "total" watch list was much larger than that. Okay, I did. This article came from early in 2009.

Terrorist watch list hits 1 million - USATODAY.com

This source says the list is 1,000,000 total, with about 95% of the people on the list being foreigners. Which means 50,000 Americans could be on the list, if that source is correct.

Either way, sources are saying that (at least) tens of thousands of American citizens are suspected terrorists. That is troubling in itself.

I was listening to a talk show the other day and they said 400,000 were on the terrorist watch list but only 5% of them were on the no fly list. He was knocking the .gov for not even being able to correlate the 2 lists. I don't remember if it was Wilkow, Rusty Humphreys or a sit in.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I was listening to a talk show the other day and they said 400,000 were on the terrorist watch list but only 5% of them were on the no fly list. He was knocking the .gov for not even being able to correlate the 2 lists. I don't remember if it was Wilkow, Rusty Humphreys or a sit in.
    Having a record in the "terrorist watch list" doesn't mean you are even a person of interest. Think of it like a point system, each record is worth a certain amount of points. Bought some guns? 3 pts. Didn't watch the state of the union address" 2 pts. etc.... When you get to 10 points you get a "prize" someone physically reviews your record and bumps you to the new improved no fly list.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Having a record in the "terrorist watch list" doesn't mean you are even a person of interest. Think of it like a point system, each record is worth a certain amount of points. Bought some guns? 3 pts. Didn't watch the state of the union address" 2 pts. etc.... When you get to 10 points you get a "prize" someone physically reviews your record and bumps you to the new improved no fly list.

If your guess is correct, the system is still evil.

No judge, no jury, no way to face your accuser. They just start stripping people's privacy and rights based on stupid little "terror tips."

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    If your guess is correct, the system is still evil.

No judge, no jury, no way to face your accuser. They just start stripping people's privacy and rights based on stupid little "terror tips."
    I agree, now I have to get back to reviewing records.... How do you spell your last name? Please speak clearly...

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Even if it is 50,000 American's on that list... percentage wise thats .016% Im perfectly willing to believe .016% of the population are nutbags who if given the right motivation are capable of committing terrorist acts.

Do I think its right? God no, but do I think that its flawed because there are over a million people on it... not sure about that. I think the US numbers might be right on though.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Im perfectly willing to believe .016% of the population are nutbags who if given the right motivation are capable of committing terrorist acts.
    First you must define "terrorist acts". Then you must leave that definition in place and not just change it to suit your current needs. By current definition, belief in and adherence to the COTUS is enough. If one wants to find terrorists they need not look any further than congress. Why must those willing to fight for what they believe be labeled "nutbags"? I personally am willing to believe that "given the right motivation", 100% are "capable of committing terrorist acts" additionally, if the terms of being a terrorist are changed to let's say anyone that breathes without asking permission first........you get it yet or are you not capable of critical thinking?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    ...you get it yet or are you not capable of critical thinking?

Oh I get it. We are all one step away from being labeled as terrorists. Hell as you put it, many of us probably are now. And yes, the term nutbag probably shouldn't have been used, but I stand by my original point. In a country with 300 million plus people, there have to be 50,000 willing to inspire mass terror to achieve their goal.

Top Bottom