• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Three years ago (Wow, has it really been three years already?) esrice and I took one day off during the Christmas break and toured several gun shops around the outside of I-465 in Indianapolis. [Find the thread here.] As soon as that trip was over, we said we needed to do that again visiting another part of the state.

This time around, esrice wasn't available, but Que and Fenway were!

As part of the preparation for the trip, I had a list of 64 gun shops in northwest and north central Indiana. I knew we would only get to visit a small number of shops since most open at 10 am and many close by 6 pm. Add to that the many hours we would be on the road and there wasn't nearly enough time in the day. I whittled the list down to seven shops with three others I'd like to see if time allowed. With the list, some GoogleMaps printouts, and my wife's Tom-Tom we were ready!

My day started very early...just before 5 am. On Thursday I had plowed our lane of the 12" of snow we got the day before so I could make the trip to northwest Indiana.

After picking up Que in Indianapolis, we met Fenway along I-65 north of Indy and headed for Lafayette and points beyond.

1q1z5y.jpg

1. Haley's Lodge - Lafayette

I'm glad Haley's Lodge opens early! We arrived around 8:30 to find a very clean and welcoming shop. It had a hunting lodge feel.

We met the owner and two sales folks; one of which was INGO member Gunsnrose.

The staff told us that they try to help those new to guns to learn what they need to to be responsible firearms owners.

fxc8sw.jpg

1ffna0.jpg

The gun store is part of a larger sales area that includes a safe and lock outlet. The safe sales are a natural match for the gun store. Browing safes are their main line.

xp0ehw.jpg

2. Four Guns - Lafayette

Located across and just down the street from Haley's is Four Guns.

You could tell that the recent run on guns, ammo, and accessories had taken it toll on the shop and workers. The folks we talked with were very friendly and started to apologize for the less-than-full gun display and the cardboard boxes that had just been opened bringing in new stock. We assured them that we had read numerous threads on INGO describing the near panic buying by some people in the last few weeks.

All the AR style rifles on display were consignment weapons. The shop was sold out of their inventory.

i6cxty.jpg

2v3h203.jpg

I'm a reloader so I noticed the powders right away. I always appreciate a shop that carries powder and primers so reloaders don't have to pay the hasmat fee to have it shipped directly to their homes.
    kburq.jpg

We wanted to stop by and meet the owner of Front Toward Enemy Firearms near DeMotte, Indiana however, we weren't able to make contact during our window of opportunity.

Just as we entered Lake county the traffic flow halted due to a a truck accident. We crawled along for a few miles. During this time Que made his first video of the day.

AR15_Crisis_Prevention_Hotline

3. Blythe's - Griffith

This was a fun store with an old-time feel. It's set in downtown Griffith. The store occupies two building that were joined to make a large store. They make use of every square foot available.

There is a huge hunting and archery section as well as a dedicated optics display area, ammo area, and space for long guns and handguns. They are a dealer for Liberty safes and had a large display of safes.

2da0npi.jpg

zxmxw6.jpg

We met INGO member Cyprant who was shopping with his daughter.

1z5qnau.jpg

Jedi is probably well-known to many NW Indiana INGO members. He came over to say hi along with his two children. I first met Jedi when I attended one of the NW Indiana Shoots at Winamac. It was a great time and Jedi is an amazing organizer.

1px7ro.jpg

In the optics area, the store has a nifty rifle stock that allows a buyer to try out the feel of many of the optics before purchase. Here's Que practicing his Appleseed skills!

2btz14.jpg

Lunch - Red Robin in Hobart

I'd never been to a Red Robin restaurant (we don't have them where I live). We shared a tower of onion rings and I downed a BBQ burger! I agree...YUM!

4. Blythe's - Valparaiso

The Blythe's in Valpo is located in a large building that houses several businesses owned and operated by the same family.

The range and gun store are located on the upper level and are accessed by a wide staircase just inside the main doors.

5uo6bk.jpg

The sales area is very large with the handgun, rifle, and accessory areas blending into one another.

We met sadclownwp while we were visiting. He works at the store and I recommend any INGO member look him up if you're in shopping.

Clif45 was also at the shop and spent some time with us.

iqh7ah.jpg

am34aw.jpg

The range is accessed through this side room that has more accessory items. The sound deadening is very effective and you hear little noise from the range and no odors.

35be874.jpg

5. Midwest Gun Exchange - Misawaka

I had long heard about Midwest Gun Exchange. At many of the Indy1500 gun shows, they set up right across from the INGO table. The always arrived at the shows with their signature green table cloths and LOTS of guns organized in neat rows.

When we walked in the front doors of their store, it made sense. This store was a cross between a fancy sporting goods store and a jewelry store! The display cases formed a large central "bullpen" for the sales staff to move around in. Everything was very neat and orderly. Dozens of stuffed wild animals stood guard all around the store.

2cekzso.jpg

hslw2d.jpg

We talked with the manager and assistant manager. They claimed that their stock was way down but they certainly re-arranged the remaining inventory is such a way that it wasn't obvious. Regular shoppers may have known it, but it didn't show to this first time visitor.

55yfn.jpg

It's always fun to shop around guns with Que. He's like a kid in a candy store.

One pistol caught his eye, a Sig .22 in the 1911 format. The salesman had it out of the case in an instant so Que could get the full experience. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this little gem didn't find its way to Indy when Midwest comes to the gun show. :D

2yoe6c2.jpg

Journey Home

It was growing dark as we left Midwest. We wanted to try to make it to ZX Guns in Goshen, but were unable to make contact to confirm their hours.

So we set the Tom-Tom to take us toward Indy and settled in for a long ride. It got pretty quiet in the car for awhile as I recall.

A surprise pop-up snow shower slickened the roads north of Indy, but we made it safely to our meeting spot, said our good-byes and headed for home.

This was a fun day and one I'd love to repeat, but headed in another direction next time. Perhaps south, or west, or northeast? Who knows. But any day spent in the company of friends and gun stores is bound to be a good day indeed! :)

Last edited:

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Great report. Those gun stores make me very jealous that we don't have anything like them down in the southeastern corner of the state.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Thanks for sharing the day road trip thru the NorthWest side of Indiana gun shops. Good pictures of gun shops along with the inside views for a reason to make our own road trips. Jedi will never be the same after posting his picture here. 2013 will be here soon and Jedi is already getting the NWI INGO Group ready for the summer Meet and Shoot at the Winamac Range. Come see how the NWI INGO Group has a fun day for season four at the range.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I work almost right across the street from Midwest. Wish I would have known when u guys were coming, I would have met up with you :rockwoot:

Very nice AAR for sure. (I was just past midwest at the Honda dealership just up the street FYI)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Midwest used to have a series of double sided floor displays back between the back case and the circular displays. So there used to be a couple hundred more long guns on display than there are now on those racks. Then as you go in the door and go to the left the shotgun ammo that is there now, used to be 4-5 times larger with rifle and pistol calibers stacked up as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A Little More

One of the things I found very interesting is that all the shops we visited seemed to stock many of the items most of us order online. They had lasers, scopes, red dots, hunting gear, etc. And I'm not talking about the stuff that we buy just to last until we can find something better. They had top-of-the-line stuff like Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech sights; Benchmade knives and real quality safes. I know in the future, I will be making the drive instead of ordering online.

Each shop was very welcoming and I had the opportunity to talk to a couple of the shops about the price increases. The shops are not going up on prices just to be opportunistic. Many sold out of their inventory on the first day of the run and due to price increases from their distributors, they had to increase their prices, as well. This is just my personal assessment, because I noticed the larger the store, the lower the price seemed to be. I guess the larger stores can absorb the increase by buying volume.

By the end of the day, I was pretty exhausted. I really didn't want to make the last stop, but when I walked in, I was reinvigorated. That place was the biggest and nicest shop I've ever been in. I felt as though I walked into a high-end automobile showroom. The place was full of guns of all types, but the manager said their inventory was down and they usually had rows of guns on the floors. And the prices were outstanding!

I can't wait to roll to souther Indiana to see the shops down that way.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    One of the things I found very interesting is that all the shops we visited seemed to stock many of the items most of us order online. They had lasers, scopes, red dots, hunting gear, etc. And I'm not talking about the stuff that we buy just to last until we can find something better. They had top-of-the-line stuff like Aimpoint, Trijicon, Eotech sights; Benchmade knives and real quality safes. I know in the future, I will be making the drive instead of ordering online.

Each shop was very welcoming and I had the opportunity to talk to a couple of the shops about the price increases. The shops are not going up on prices just to be opportunistic. Many sold out of their inventory on the first day of the run and due to price increases from their distributors, they had to increase their prices, as well. This is just my personal assessment, because I noticed the larger the store, the lower the price seemed to be. I guess the larger stores can absorb the increase by buying volume.

By the end of the day, I was pretty exhausted. I really didn't want to make the last stop, but when I walked in, I was reinvigorated. That place was the biggest and nicest shop I've ever been in. I felt as though I walked into a high-end automobile showroom. The place was full of guns of all types, but the manager said their inventory was down and they usually had rows of guns on the floors. And the prices were outstanding!

I can't wait to roll to souther Indiana to see the shops down that way.

Southern Indiana rocks! :rockwoot: Umm I may be biased. :bacondance:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    MIDWEST was incredible. I can only imagine what the inventory looks like during non-panic times. I had never seen anything like that shop.

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    Nice report ! Sux I missed you guys I ended up getting my son for the weekend and I didnt think he would wanna spend a few more hours at the LGS because thats what we did the other weekend!

I <3 Guns !

manygunsmike

dascollector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    There are two other stores I'd recommend if you're doing the rounds up here again sometime.

1. Granger Guns. Steve runs a small store, sort of hidden in the back of a low-slung shopping area. He has a much smaller selection than Midwest does, but he knows his stuff, he carries reloading equipment and materials, and he prices better than Midwest does in many cases. Better than that, he's the sort of guy who will tell you that you probably don't want the $100 version of something when the $50 version will do what you want - even if it reduces his profit. He gets as much of my business as I can give him. Warning: his dogs are often there, and if you're allergic or don't handle dogs well, you may want to avoid the shop. Really, they just want a treat!

2. Kempf's Gun Shop in Michigan City. I've only been in a couple of times, but they had one of the best selection of reloading gear that I've seen in the area. Not as many firearms, but really good for reloaders.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    MIDWEST was incredible. I can only imagine what the inventory looks like during non-panic times. I had never seen anything like that shop.

Another nice write up! Thanks for taking the time to do it.

I really like Midwest gun Exchange. It's my 'go to' gun store. I love the layout, especially how they hve the handgun section set up.

BTW, in the second to last Midwest picture has an INGO member in it. His name is Adam and his INGO name is General Carver. He's seated at the table facing the camera, helping someone with paper work. He's very nice and knowledgable young man.

Top Bottom