Knocking off the rust with shooter521, akaindy, and lovemywoods (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Today's trip to the range was all about knocking the rust off of our individual skillsets.

For shooter521 and akaindy, that meant breaking out the AK-74s and full battle rattle in preparation for Henk Iverson's upcoming AK Operator's Course ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s_nappanee_in_september_10_and_11_2011_a.html ). For lovemywoods and I it meant getting back to basics with pistols, as it had been several months since either of us had shot our Glocks.

We kicked off the day by drooling over akaindy's newly built AK-74, which I immediately dubbed the "AK-15" for obvious reasons. He's done some major work on it and has created something that brings the best of both worlds together for one handy and well-appointed carbine. shooter521's SBR'd 74 is no slouch, and its short barrel and light weight makes it easy to maneuver, without sacrificing accuracy (more on that later. . .) Also pictured is a backup 74 with iron sights.

83b48e37.jpg

441db75e.jpg

98e0cc46.jpg

Do 3 guys really need this much gear? YES!

f2cb6f87.jpg

The guys quickly got to setting up to zero their carbines at 50 yards.

6ee96b6c.jpg

akaindy first installed a new Aimpoint R1.

4f06f04a.jpg

Let the zeroing commence!

c757d732.jpg

3884e78f.jpg

557974f5.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpWlY9twhZo[/ame]

b648e64f.jpg

1df43d31.jpg

637c7f95.jpg

a4092d8d.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU1cvD2SGDg[/ame]

d104be7f.jpg

f16ddaa2.jpg

In an effort to see just how far their AKs could stretch out, they both attempted to hit 66% steel IPSC targets 211 yards away from a seated position. I was impressed with both the shooters and the guns. :yesway:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIGeLsDd-mw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enpWlYA5OnA[/ame]

Later we moved down to the lower range and they geared up in full kit just as they will do in class next month. They quickly found some adjustments that needed to be made, as shooting around armor plates isn't always easy or comfortable.

c6211c34.jpg

We then got the pistols out for a bit so lovemywoods and I could run some Dot Torture drills. I hate these drills but they quickly show me where I'm sucking. This time around was no exception. My lack of regular maintenance training over the past few months was apparent.

To make me feel better shooter521 suggested we try Dot Torture again with carbines. I used my 10.5" Noveske upper on his registered lower. I was very pleased with that performance, and was quickly putting rounds inside the circles with ease.

Although it certainly wasn't expected, lovemywoods offered to whip up some New York strip steaks and fried potatoes for dinner. No one refused it. And of course I took pictures of it. :D

f205f27d.jpg

4f5e9176.jpg

f2cbeeff.jpg

Good weather, good friends, good guns, good gear, and good food-- it really doesn't get much better than that. Makes me proud to be an American! :patriot:

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Evan, next time, just skip all the nonsense. We all know that everyone doesnt go to your dads to shoot.

It's just for the food. Next time just do a full blown "food report" with pics and video of the food being made. That's all we care about :D

Saying that, I'm extremely jealous of the shooting, the guns, the range, and the food ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    And I *did* have to use mah AK... today was a good day. (apologies to Ice Cube)

The rifles are all tuned up and ready; wish I was! :xmad: Accuracy was not an issue (hits on 66% IPSC steel at 211 yards with a 12" barreled AK; I was impressed!), but reloads and general weapon manipulation under time pressure sucked the big one. I haven't taken an AK-specific class since 2007, and haven't been able to get out and focus on running that platform as much as I wanted to this year. So we'll see what happens.

Anyway, just a few more pics to throw in there:

evan_dave_bench.jpg

esrice shoots the "AK-15" while lovemywoods spots for him

evan_aka_ak.jpg

A better view of the "AK-15"

dave_sitting.jpg

lovemywoods prepares for the 211-yard shot :ingo:

evan_sitting.jpg

esrice with the AK-74 on the long-range course

evan_cases.jpg

esrice back in his comfort zone

AK_wheel.jpg

The "gun up against a tire" pic has become a tradition on these outings

aaron_case.jpg

akaindy rocks out with his Glock out

meters.jpg

Spending a gorgeous late-summer day shooting with these guys always pegs my meters. ;)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Ok that's it, fried taters on the table and I was no where around to sample this.:(
    On my fav food list there is 1a and 1b, 1a is properly cooked thick sliced bacon, 1b is some good ole fried potato's.

I have to go fix a bacon sandwich now to satisfy the crave that has been projected into my brain through my eye portals.

Sadly there are no taters in the house.:(

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Wonderful day!

The afternoon was so lovely; I just looked around as the guys were shooting and tried to make a memory for the future. Now I have another memory to add to my 'happy place*.'

My thanks to shooter521 and akaindy for sharing their rifles and for some much needed instruction on my rusty pistol skills.

Without INGO, I would not have ever met these two and many other fine folks! Thanks to everyone who keeps INGO up and running.

(* the place you go during a boring meeting to hang out mentally :))

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    ESRICE, WOW, you guys :rockwoot::rockwoot:Now that is the way to go play:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:
    I am glad to see that there are still a lot of folks that have there own little get together and have fun:patriot::D:yesway:
    Everyone around my area have put there guns away because of the cost of shooting! Our Gun Club as defunked:xmad: I guess playing golf is cheaper:noway:
    AWESOME AK's, wished I lived close I would love to have someone to shoot with!
    Later
    Greg

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Wow, how fun ... and the FOOD w00t . Good for you guys. I love to do that too, but I don't have a cabin so we have to eat at the greasy spoon after we shoot it up. :)

Top Bottom