• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    This space reserved for AAR to come. :D Thanks to TheJoker, lovemywoods, esrice and akaindy for a fantastic day of history, shooting and fellowship. Now, some teaser pics...

spread2.jpg

spread.jpg

DSCN4802.jpg

DSCN4831.jpg

DSCN4832.jpg

DSCN4866.jpg

DSCN4926.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

DSCN4934.jpg

DSCN4999.jpg

DSCN5003.jpg

DSCN4885.jpg

DSCN4820.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here are a few of my teasers. I had SUCH an awesome time today celebrating Memorial Day and remembering those who have fought for our freedom by shooting the very weapons they defended our freedom with (and many others). I learned A LOT.

Way more pictures, video, and commentary to come!

2s9otpy.jpg

sqrvqr.jpg

2dhhgu9.jpg

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    [FONT=&quot]I had a great time today. Many thanks to our host & hostess!

The correct way to pronounce the correct way to pronounce the magazine system of the Steyr-Mannlicher M1895 and the Carcano-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mannlicher 1938 Short rifle[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mannlicher =[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Mann li ch' er

the "ch" is almost a "k", but sounds like Mann lich air [/FONT]

Ferdinand Mannlicher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

akaindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    I had a great time today shooting some nice peices of history and remembering Memorial Day. Thanks to TheJoker, lovemywoods, esrice and shooter521 for a great day of history, shooting and fellowship.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I too had a wonderful day in warm Indiana sunshine with INGO friends! :yesway:

I enjoyed some of the contrasts. Such as shooting a stable of heavy wood and blue steel rifles that go BOOOOM!...to a suppressed bolt action .22 that barely went pfsst...!

Or after many wood rifles, having someone bring out a AR15 and being keenly aware of how different the polymer rifles look and feel by comparison.

Or learning that magazine blocks were included on some military rifles because the 'powers that be' thought that without restrictions, our fighting men would use up too much ammo. But those leaders were willing to arm and send those same men into battle where the decisions they made were truly life and death choices.

Or how much better my aging eyes cope with optics over open sights. :yesway:

lmw

P.S. Without INGO, I would never have met three of the gentlemen with whom I enjoyed the afternoon. Thanks Fenway and the mod team for creating and maintaining INGO! :ingo:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    lovemywoods' Memorial Day Shoot 2011

k02b8m.jpg

I kicked off my Memorial Day holiday with a quiet morning drive down to beautiful Brown County. The anticipation of good company, historical rifles, and great food was enough to wake me up an hour before my alarm went off, so I took my time to enjoy the 50-minute drive. I could tell by the thick morning air that it was going to be getting very hot. I rolled down all my windows and headed for the hills.

Although I arrived an hour before the official start time, lovemywoods had already set up the range and courses of fire for the day. We would mostly be using the 211-yard range that spans the length of his lake. For targets we'd be using an assortment of Bobcat Steel, paper on stands, and a few water jugs. As an added challenge he set out a 1/2lb. container of Tannerite.

Soon I heard the crackling of the gravel drive as TheJoker, shooter521, and akaindy arrived. TheJoker was the only new face to me. He was not only kind enough to provide many excellent examples of historical military arms, but to also share with us the history behind them.

As the rifles and gear were unloaded it became quite apparent that the day would not only be fun, but educational. Wood and steel was the order of the day. The few black rifles present looked like misfit toys compared to the Garands, Enfields, and Mausers.

We broke the day into 3 basic parts: Orientation, Lunch, and Familiarization Fire. We also spent a few breaks zeroing in shooter521's ACR and tinkering with a couple ARs.

Because the range was in direct sunlight and already heating up, we decided to do the Orientation portion back up in the shaded yard by the house. Each rifle was laid out on a blanket and TheJoker went over each one, detailing not only its function and features, but also its history and place in the wars.

7161ceb9.jpg

13fdb8ca.jpg

Here are a few clips of TheJoker discussing some of the rifles.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ieEiSZ4Qag[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p6BVihC0Kk[/ame]

Mrs. lovemywoods was also kind enough to snap a few pictures.

29ef8127.jpg

c64fab3c.jpg

56dd3de8.jpg

9e8de60a.jpg

c5e2e4b3.jpg

aa3abaa8.jpg

af343aa1.jpg

a28aa471.jpg

c4c3c851.jpg

9a2a5b96.jpg

f35dc7b7.jpg

Ever seen a rifle with anti-aircraft sights?!? :rockwoot:
    e30d46ba.jpg

After the Orientation we spent a few minutes before lunch zeroing the Aimpoint R1 on shooter521's new Bushmaster ACR. Its certainly an interesting departure from the AR platform. I'm still not sold on the gas piston operating system, but I did like how everything was fully ambidextrous, even down to the sling swivel mounts and charging handle. I would love to see an SBR'd version.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoJzldya8Lc[/ame]

6749ae21.jpg

e990fc0b.jpg

We also tried our shooter521's new Savage .22 with factory threaded barrel. I can honestly say that it was the quietest gun I've EVER heard.

2252b78e.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY8pp31whE[/ame]

For lunch lovemywoods treated everyone to his famous BBQ ribs along with salt potatoes and beer bread. No vegetables were harmed during this meal. I'm pretty sure akaindy went back for thirds.Unfortunately I didn't remember to snap a picture of our feast.

After lunch we hauled our gear down to the range for the FamFire portion of the day. We used 2 four-wheelers and a big cart because we were too stuffed from lunch to carry everything (ok, we also had a LOT of gear :D).

87b4c693.jpg

4a4f76ad.jpg

Our method was pretty straight forward-- TheJoker would pull out a rifle, give us a quick tutorial on its operation, and then we'd each take a turn shooting it to our little hearts' content.

Many of the shooting pictures look awfully similar, but here are a few samples to give you an idea of what we shot.

Check out that recoil!
    74855354.jpg

b6a7c245.jpg

508b0e07.jpg

7315179a.jpg

23555544.jpg

ebd6ac14.jpg

d5e5a286.jpg

c74e6b1e.jpg

10ba2b22.jpg

I was so proud of my shot with this Mauser that I had to pose for a photograph. With iron sights, standing unsupported, I hit a 25% IPSC steel target 211 yards away. That would be equivalent to hitting a full-sized IPSC target over 800 yards away. (its the tiny hanging target on the right in the below photos) Truth be told, I was actually aiming for the bigger IPSC target next to it. :whistle:
    fa191f0e.jpg

To get an idea of that range, here is a photo progression.

05cdecae.jpg

e31fe569.jpg

9045d200.jpg

55ffe96a.jpg

2bb8fe21.jpg

efd1a5a2.jpg

7e60aea9.jpg

Mason jar reload, anyone?
    847dcb94.jpg

44416339.jpg

1cd90c03.jpg

77b858ef.jpg

Noticing how light and handy the M1 Carbine was, akaindy referred to it as "yesterday's PDW". I think he was right. shooter521 and I decided to have a little fun and run a mock carbine drill.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwXHbTHsmEw[/ame]

After shooting for several hours in the 90-degree heat, we were all fat, happy, and exhausted. We retired back at the house for cold mandarin orange cake and our Memorial Day Shoot hillbilly finale-- shooting Tannerite from the porch! :ar15:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GORfM4LRPrY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY2J8WrEVxs[/ame]

I'd like to again thank my fellow INGOers for spending their Memorial Day holiday with me and lovemywoods. I had a wonderful time shooting and learning about a generation of firearms that I knew nothing about. I'm again reminded that this is what makes INGO so special-- bringing people together to share our love of firearms of ALL kinds.

j94t9w.jpg

:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Almost forgot. . .

Ever wondered how a sling can help your shooting?

Ever wondered what it would look like for shooter521 to eat his words? :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGYCsbdgDF8[/ame]

(I bet you Appleseeders enjoyed that!)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok, that look's like the most fun ever!!, and if just one of those guns could talk!! especially(spelling?) the Arisaka...loved the anti-aircraft sights!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Wow, Evan; good write-up! I don't have much to add, save my "highlight reel":

Hardest kicking – Steyr Mannlicher M95 ... this is a short, lightweight carbine that fires the 8x56R round (on par with the 8mm Mauser). Big bark, big recoil; it would give the Mosin M38s and M44s a run for their money.
    DSCN4876.jpg

(NOT shooting at aircraft here!)

Smoothest action – Tossup between the Enfields and the Krag-Jorgensen M1898. Enfield gets bonus points for its 10-shot magazine (which is detachable, although the troops of the day did not take advantage of that feature; they reloaded the gun from the top using stripper clips).
    DSCN4976.jpg

Most Interesting History – Tossup between the Carcano M1938 which was an Italian rifle pressed into Finnish service, and akaindy's funky Winchester falling-block .22, which has been in his family for 4 generations.
    DSCN4933.jpg

Most Photogenic - M1 Garand. Both examples present had great finish and character, and that big ol' en bloc clip coming out of the gun makes for a great "money shot". :)

DSCN4818.jpg

dave_m1garand_clip.jpg

DSCN4970.jpg

DSCN4957.jpg

Best of Show - Mauser K98k. Great combination of ergonomics, power, shootability and accuracy. It was one of the few guns with which I could hit the 211 yard steel (the Enfield No. 4, Mosin 91/30 Sniper and my "Recon Carbine" AR being the others).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TuUTdi372g[/ame]

Quietest – Definitely the Savage MkII FV-SR with the Outback II-D, but the Winchester falling block shooting subsonic ammo out of its 24" barrel was a very close second!
    DSCN4822.jpg

Only one of these historical guns I actually want to own – M1 Carbine. I've had the jones for one of these for a LONG time, but have never been able to justify actually buying one. Someday, maybe.

shooter_m1carbine.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wow, Evan; good write-up! I don't have much to add, save my "highlight reel":

I think I caught the general "flavor". You are the "details man". :laugh:

I honestly still couldn't tell you which one was which without my cheat-sheet.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is there a "Jealousy" icon?? :D

LOL. I think there is... :crying:

What did you guys think of the Arisaka? I really like my T-99.

The Arisaka was, IIRC, the only one of the bunch we didn't actually shoot. Partly due to ammo availability and pricing, and partly because the stock has some cracks in it and we didn't want to aggravate that condition.

[STRIKE]FREE REP ALERT!!!

I'll rep the first member who can correctly identify all the rifles present in the very first pic in my original post. Here it is again (clicking on the pic to get the full-size version and zooming in may help); please PM me so as not to clutter up this thread, and be as specific as possible in your answers. [/STRIKE]

spread2.jpg

ETA - since it's been almost 24 hours and nobody has taken me up on my challenge, here's the list...

TOP TO BOTTOM
    M1 Garand
    M1 Garand
    Mauser K98k
    French MAS 36 (Algerian capture)
    Enfield No. 4 Mk I
    Springfield 1903A3
    Carcano M1938
    Enfield No. 1 Mk III
    Arisaka Type 99
    Steyr Mannlicher M1895
    Mosin Nagant M91/30PU

LEFT
    Krag-Jorgensen M1898 (Top)
    M1 Carbine (Bottom)

RIGHT
    Winchester falling block .22 (akaindy would have to provide the exact model)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom