• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Crosley DNR range review: pics, video

I went to Crosley DNR range today. It's about 10 minutes south of North Vernon, which is about 15-20 minutes straight east of Seymour.
    15df452a.jpg

The dirt road thru the woods is very beautiful and seninc, and it crosses the Muscatutuk River - there was a small boat ramp and fishing spots down there.
    6784233c.jpg

The range was free and there are no ROs present- you are responsible for yourself (imagine that.) There was a shotgun range, and 25, 30, 50, 100 & 200 yard ranges complete with bench rests and a roof overhead. The 25 yd range had moveable stools. There was about 5 people there at all times with some coming and going. (at about 1pm.)
    c183f8c7.jpg

d66e06e9.jpg

46995074.jpg

bc7da359.jpg

You bring your own targets and attach them to existing target boards, which consist of a 5' sheet of cardboard stapled to two 2x4's stuck into the ground.

I brought tape, cardboard, stapler, and paper targets, and recommend you do the same if you go.
    2e3a10ae.jpg

Dislikes: I disliked the fact that the shortest range was 25 yards, and there was a rule posted that you cannot shoot from midrange, you must shoot from the benches. So if you are shooting a tiny carry gun, this makes the range not so useful. No one was there so I shot from 7 yards.
    The target boards (cardboard) were in bad shape... so bring your own just in case, or a box at least so that you can attach your targets to something if needed.

5fae255e.jpg

b2cbf0fc.jpg

709a9009.jpg

the cool old rickety bridge leading over to the range... just listen to it rattle!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8EfDmG58Q]YouTube - Rickety bridge[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HALOzPjLGtI]YouTube - Rickety bridge[/ame]

looking at the 100yd range:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1tCTDKAmOI]YouTube - Crosley DNR 100yd range[/ame]

Shooting on the 100yd range:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QysTjy5WN8]YouTube - KT SU-22[/ame]

Last edited:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Nice pics and review. I've shot there many times with friends. It sucks there are idiots that go there and trash the area though. I'm sure those people's house looks the same.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Nice pics and review. I've shot there many times with friends. It sucks there are idiots that go there and trash the area though. I'm sure those people's house looks the same.

Yeah- agreed. I picked up a good deal of trash while there, mostly old targets. Always leave it better than what it was, I was taught...

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Before I found my local gun club I had some bad experiences there. Was shooting a .22 pistol beside some moron and his kids. His kids muzzled me more than twice and I actually pushed it once with my hand. So instead of getting into an argument with dad in front of his kids, I just left. The 2nd was getting a ticket for shooting past 5pm from a real d____head of a conservation ofc.$120.00 for shooting five mins past five. I understand I broke the rules but gimme a break. It has improved greatly in appearance over the years but too many idiots go there.
    Almost forgot the guys shooting with a cooler full of beer and their kids with no hearing or eye protection.

Okay......done ranting. Glad you had a good time and thanks for the pics.:D

pankake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2010
    SE Indy
    Son and I frequent Crosley, usually on a weekday and often have the range to ourselves, with only another shooter or two that spend a little time there. We'll shoot mid-range when no one is in our lane. It is usually trashy from the the "other targets" others have left behind, and these get picked up when we leave that lane. Now that school has started, I guess I get to shoot solo, except on weekends.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yesterday was my first trip to Crosley. We had a meet, and greet, and that's where we shot. It was a little warm, but there is plenty of shade. I will defiantly revisit.

Top Bottom