• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I admit up front that I have not had the time to research this as thoroughly as I would like. I will also admit that a book written by someone formerly from the liberal Huffington-Puffington Post should be suspect simply due to those credentials. However, he does make some good points that agree with observations I have been making, especially watching the coverage of the warrentless searches by highly militarized LEOs in the immediate aftermath of the Boston Bombing.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

In a troubling new book called Rise of the Warrior Cop, Balko tackles a subject of growing controversy in communities across the United States: the militarization of police forces. Drones, enormous armored transports, Army-issued helicopters — equipment manufactured for and used by the U.S. military in times of war is finding its way more and more into the SWAT teams of police departments across the country.

"This is just gear that was not designed for use in a civilian, domestic environment. It was designed for use on a battlefield," Balko says. "When you put on garb that was designed for a soldier to wear, it can and often does give you the mentality of a soldier or encourage you to assume that mentality."

Here is a link to the article:

In Rise of the Warrior Cop, Radley Balko tackles the dangers of militarized police units run amok on U.S. soil | City Limits | Nashville Scene

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    "This is just gear that was not designed for use in a civilian, domestic environment. It was designed for use on a battlefield," Balko says. "When you put on garb that was designed for a soldier to wear, it can and often does give you the mentality of a soldier or encourage you to assume that mentality."

Hmmm i have a hard time believing that anyone, civilian or cop in a civilian domestic environment would have "gear that was designed for use on a battlefield"...but then i went to INGOs "accessories and gear" sub forum and bought what i wanted in the classifieds. ssssshhhhh don't tell anyone.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Absolutely correct. That's why we need to ban assault weapons. As soon as anyone touches one, they instantly assume the mentality of a solider on a battlefield. Not ever a very good soldier, one that just wants to go to the nearest mall/movie theater/school and start mowing down non-combatants. Right? Who's with me?

Army issued helicopters!!! AHHHHH, PANIC!!!!

1965 HUEY GUNSHIP UH-1E MILITARY BELL AIRCRAFT HELICOPTER UH-1 UH-1H 204 m998 in Aircraft | eBay Motors

Oh, right, you can just go to eBay and buy one if you have the cash. No background checks or nothin'. You'll be enjoying the smell of napalm in the morning as soon as the check clears!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I will also admit that a book written by someone formerly from the liberal Huffington-Puffington Post should be suspect simply due to those credentials. However, he does make some good points that agree with observations I have been making, especially watching the coverage of the warrentless searches by highly militarized LEOs in the immediate aftermath of the Boston Bombing.
    You really shouldn't comment on Radley without knowing anything about him. He is not a former writer for Huffington. He is a current writer for Huffington and reports on police excesses and militarisation, among other things. He's a former writer for Reason and Cato, among other places and frequently appears on numerous TV shows, like Stossel and other Fox affiliated shows. He's been around for many years doing what he does and he does it very well. He is an exceptional writer and has been instrumental in freeing at least one person from an unjust prison sentence in Mississippi. Huffington has a number of writers on their staff from a wide variety of backgrounds and outlooks, unlike other sources you have cited. Radley is also a Hoosier and quite proud of it. I'll take his word over many other people who you've linked to. At least he does his research.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    Almost done with work for the day. Started off rough..my M113 had to be jumped, then I didn't restock my .50 from last night's shoot. Got to work, then my Predator Drone's feed crashed, so I just could not surveill my local dopehouse. FINALLY, to top it all off, the g-damn MRE's for my Code 3 were dated pre-Desert Storm.
    Some days it just sucks to be a Warrior Cop.
    :rolleyes:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Almost done with work for the day. Started off rough..my M113 had to be jumped, then I didn't restock my .50 from last night's shoot. Got to work, then my Predator Drone's feed crashed, so I just could not surveill my local dopehouse. FINALLY, to top it all off, the g-damn MRE's for my Code 3 were dated pre-Desert Storm.

Should have called. There's room in the Apache.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

Were you camping in Chino last night ?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...ts-fired-over-loud-music-at-chino-campground/

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    FINALLY, to top it all off, the g-damn MRE's for my Code 3 were dated pre-Desert Storm.
    ... and worst of all, the entire lot was #9 from the 1st generation. Now that's just cruel.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

I hate it when my night starts off like that.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Absolutely no tech/equipment should be available to police any more easily than they are available to the average, individual citizen. Other than that, go nuts.

Agreed, 'shall not be infringed' should be applied as written to everyone including (but not limited to) the police.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Anyone can be better equipped than the police. I could break it down but it would take forever. Back when i was racing i went up to the fastest guy with all the sponsors and money and told him how envious i was of his success and hoped to be him one day (i was 16). I was shocked when he said he was envious of me. He went on to say that he could only use what he was told to use even if he knew there was something that could make him faster/stronger/better. A free agent can go out and buy the best gear by the best manufacturers that is years ahead of its competition. He said that sponsors only slow you down.

This rings true for police and military who are subjected to the lowest bidder standard and are confined by General Orders in its use.

As a citizen you can go get a class 3 lic, buy an uparmored hmmwv, a minigun, a noveske full auto m4, Penetrator ammo, some crye precision breathable and waterproof clothes, body armor, ops core helmet, some comm gear that doesn't require a repeater to transmit, and a helicopter to airlift you to wherever you want to go.

Airlift yourself to the police department and you can no longer use any of that. after a year of training you get an unarmored police car, a vest that's expired, and a glock handgun (even though you shoot better with an M&P). If you want a rifle you have to wait until there is a class, then if you successfully complete it you get issued a 1968 20...ft long barreled converted to semi auto m16 with a 2 point canvas sling. You'll then get issued ammo that has the consistency of sugar cubes.

Good news though is that you get to feel like a warrior trampling rights of citizens and stringing their ears through your canvas sling.

Top Bottom