• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I've done this many times and never had any major issues. Thought I would share a little on my latest experience.
    The wife and I had planned a trip to Vermont for our 25th anniversary. First thing I always do when traveling is pull up my CCW app on my smartphone and check the gun laws in the state(s) I'll be in. Great, user friendly app, BTW.
    So, Vermont is a Constitutional carry state and therefore honors Indiana's LTCH. No problem there.
    We flew on American Airlines so when I arrived in Indy, I hit the kiosk and got our boarding passes and then proceeded to check the baggage. Declared the firearm to the agent. She never missed a beat. She started to ask the questions required and I quickly answered. "It's unloaded, in a locked hardsided case, ammunition is in the original manufacturers packaging and is under 11 pounds" She smiled, politely, and said you've done this before. I signed the declaration that it was unloaded, opened the suitcase and placed it on the case and away we went. She did tell me to check in with a TSA supervisor at the passenger screening, which I had never done before. He asked how long ago I had checked my bag. When I said 30 minutes, he said, "Oh, you are good to go, thank you"
    Only problem came up when we landed in Washington DC. They did not have an open gate for us, so we sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes. This caused us to miss our connection by 5 minutes and I had to wonder if our luggage had made it on the connecting flight or if it would follow us onto our rescheduled flight an hour later.
    My gut told me that it was transferred to the original plane and I pictured it going around the baggage claim carousel for an hour.
    When we arrived in Burlington, I went to the American counter and they had our bag behind the counter.
    On the return, when I hit the kiosk, it sent up a flag and said to see a ticket agent about the firearm and it printed a paper stating such. I went to the counter and presented the slip of paper. The agent glanced at it and the set it aside and proceeded to print out our boarding passes. When she said, "you can set your suitcase up here", I asked when I needed to sign the firearms declaration?
    She gave me a quizzical look and said, "you have a firearm in your bag?"
    Yes, that's why I handed you the printed paper. She quickly got back on track and all went smoothly there. Burlington airport is so small that she had me wait around for a few minutes while the TSA cleared the bag, right there.
    All in all, it was an easy process, as usual. Pocket carried a Taurus 738 TCP the entire trip but other than being in some very rural areas where a mad cow or rouge Maple tree may have been our biggest threats, my Spider senses never went off once.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I've always had good and friendly TSA folks when it comes to checking firearms - at worst, I've had one or two with short tempers...probably at the end of a long shift.
    The airline folks, on the other hand, aren't always as friendly OR knowledgeable about their own procedures...

Anybody else see this trend?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    From what I've seen, the TSA has set standard, across the board but the individual airlines can add to the standard.
    For instance, Frontier Airlines wanted a handgun locked in a hardsided case and then placed in a hardsided, locked, piece of luggage.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have seen this. The @$÷₩&!! steward we had from Houston to McAllen looked at my dad's oxygen generator like a dog looking at a record player. He wasn't sure his airline allowed it. When I informed him we'd flown his airline from Indy to there, and asked him how he thought the generator had gotten there if I hadn't already cleared it with them first, the snippy little bastage informed me he'd HAVE to check with the captain. Dumbass.
    On the other hand, McAllen TSA snatched that same generator up and gathered around it like fat kids on a cake. Probably wouldn't have been tactically sound if it had been of a nefarious nature. It's a smaller airport.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    My experience is almost exclusively with United Airlines, but it has been very smooth. Even when coming from overseas.
    Unloaded firearm and factory packaged ammo (with signed declaration), inside a locked hard-case that TSA cannot open, inside a locked suitcase that TSA can open = never had a problem.
    (I also use a bicycle cable lock to lock the hard-case to the frame of the suit case).
    YMMV.

Top Bottom