• ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    No idea on the Serpa hate.
    As for a good BBQ holster, you cant go wrong with leather. Currently using a Galco C.O.P.

Do they make one for a 1911 that doesn't disengage the safety? I have one of the Galco for my 92G and Sr9c and really like them. But lately I find myself wanting to carry my 1911. It just seems like meeting an old friend every time I take it out to the range.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My Galco does not disengage the safety. The C.O.P. has a retention strap on it that goes between the hammer and the slide. I have a Galco Concealable for my 226 thats similar, minus the retention strap

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have used a Serpa for EDC since I found out about them.
    The hate comes from those who do not familiarize/practice with their gear.

I agree with churchmouse. Serpa holsters are great if you train with them and use them correctly.

If you're looking at leather holsters, the Galco Combat Master is pretty nice. I use one to carry my full size Ruger SR1911 or Dan Wesson CCO. Both fit and carry nicely in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00121X9ZY/ref=twister_B003UGFHDQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mine is black and I really like it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1911 and leather go together like peanut butter and jelly. Milt Sparks or Mitch Rosen.

I like my Wilson LoProfile.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There's a leather maker around Cloverdale that has made my last few "sunday go to meeting" holsters.
    Beautiful work and as precise as there is around.
    I go through a friend to have these made as I'm not in favor with the old fashioned life styles of the craftsman and his secluded sect.
    I have a few Serpas and they're solid and dependable holsters. I prefer the Raven Kydex holsters though. Well thought out and made for durability and comfort.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A BBQ holster should cost roughly as much as the gun...and I'm only sort of kidding. Leather, dude, leather. Preferably with some tasteful exotic trim.

The problem with the Serpa is two fold. The first is mitigated by the 1911's thumb safety, but in short it's that leaving pressure on the finger after deactivating it can cause the finger to snap into the trigger guard. With a light trigger, that can result in an ND. The second is that the mechanism can get jammed by debris getting behind the button. Small rocks, snow, mud, etc. That could be a serious issue if you get knocked down before trying to draw.

Personally, I would not use a Serpa. There are too many options of similar or better quality that do not run the risk of locking the gun in place for me to bother with one.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I loved my serpa as far as retention and ease of drsw, but I used to conceal and it stuck out too far and printed badly. My EDC is the Galco M7 Matrix which hugs very close to the body.

If I were to buy a tricked out BBQ gun I would go with Kirks elephant and pray that I ran into some PITA people.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John22
    Top Bottom