• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am planning to purchase a safe during black Friday this year. I cannot go too large due to limited space and having to move the safe down steps. I am also restricted due to price. I am trying to decide between the following safes:

Liberty Centurion Voyger 25 gun from Cabelas for $499
    Field & Stream Pro 32 from Dick's currently $699
    Cannon Challenger 24 gun from Tractor Supply currently for $499
    Winchester 24 Gun from Tractor Supply currently for $699

These are the safes that are in the prices range. I am currently leaning towards the Winchester due to it being the heaviest, has largest and most locking bolts. Second in line is the Field & Stream. Looking for thoughts and opinions on these 4 safes. I wish I could afford a better safe but cannot right now. Thanks!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Take the time to watch this. It really is informative and should help you make the best decision..

[video=youtube_share;ltK-bDbADa8]http://youtu.be/ltK-bDbADa8[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It is an excellent video but unfortunately these safes are not in the price range at this time.

There's nothing wrong with a more economical import safe. They serve a purpose and will keep most thieves out no problem.

I do however think it's important to understand what you need/expect the safe to do. Before seeing the video I didn't understand the difference between a composite door and a thinner, but stronger steel plate. To most, thick means better, but clearly that isn't always the case.

If you just plan to store a couple guns and some ammo then the lower priced safes work great. If you have tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of stuff to protect, you'll probably want to pony up for something better. Especially if you travel or work a lot and aren't home all the time.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Out of your list the Winchester is my choice - Liberty usually makes good safes but thier cheaper models are just to thin

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    What makes the Winchester worth an extra $200?

I hope that the difference will only be $50 or so more for the Winchester during Black Friday. I don't know if this makes it worth the difference or not, but is has 12 1.25" locking bolts. The Field and Stream has 8 1.5" locking bolts. All of the others only have bolts on one side. The Winchester is heavier but according to the video weight doesn't necessarily matter.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    About 18 years ago I picked up a cannon fire safe. I am very happy with the quality. It has an S&G mechanical lock. I have seen considerably cheaper safes that have S&G locks on them and they are no where near the quality. Just like safes, there is a difference in the locks, even the same type and brand.

My preference is the mechanical. I only have two pieces of electronics that still work after 30 years. Mechanical safe locks from the 1800's still work.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    What makes the Winchester worth an extra $200?

It has 12 bolts and heaviest - I have a differing opinion - heavier means harder to move but harder to pickup and - walk out with - heavier means more material to get thru to get whats inside - in my book when it comes to safes heaver is better -

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When I bought my black friday safe several years ago the decision was simple. Manual lock, not electronic.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    When I bought my black friday safe several years ago the decision was simple. Manual lock, not electronic.

I keep going back and forth about the lock. I am more concerned about an electronic failure than the amount of time it takes to get into the safe.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I keep going back and forth about the lock. I am more concerned about an electronic failure than the amount of time it takes to get into the safe.

I have an electronic lock. Not worried about at all. If it fails, I can pop it off and use the key in less time than someone can spin up their combination.

As far as the quality of the safe and how well it defends your firearms, I look at it this way; I don't own many guns and other than the ones handed down to me from my dad, they are not all that valuable. I don't advertise to anyone that I even own a gun. My neighbors don't have a clue that I have guns in my house. Most break-ins are by two-bit criminals that according to statistics are in the home for less than 5 minutes. I think people refer to this as "smash and grab". I have my safe hidden.

So, I bought mostly because I got a screaming deal on mine. I was going to just build a gun "vault" in my closet. If someone does break in, and they do bother to look around the house and not just grab by tube style TV, lol, and they find my safe they might try to push it out the door, but unless they have some friends they probably won't get it in their getaway vehicle.

It's just a risk I am willing to take. You should purchase a safe that makes you comfortable and not look at the price. Some are just not comfortable with anything but the absolute best safe money can buy. If you buy a cheaper safe and still worry, then it wasn't worth it.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have an electronic lock. Not worried about at all. If it fails, I can pop it off and use the key in less time than someone can spin up their combination.

I inadvertently let the battery die on my safe earlier this year. I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get into it with the key (which is something I should have tried when the safe was new so I knew how to do it while the batteries were still good).

Top Bottom