Porter County Morgan Township Shooting on property.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So i see there are a ton of people asking about shooting on there property. I am in the same boat. But im trying to get specifics on my area. I live in Porter County Morgan Township unincorporated Valporaiso IN. I am straight south of Valpo about 2 1/2 miles south of route 30 and about a mile south of Division street. I have 6 plus acres. Does anyone live in this area that presently shoots on there property and can you give me some guide lines for shooting in this area. ive scoured the internet with no specific laws i can find.
    Thanks ahead of time.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    welcome to INGO.

I grew up in Kouts and my family is still there even though I'm 3 hours south.

I think you'd probably have to have some loads of dirt hauled in to make a backstop to shoot into...and it would depend on if you were in valpo city limits(I doubt it from where yous aid you are). Is there houses behind you directly? Are you in a housing development with large lots or are you just on 5-6 acres in the middle of a corn field or on the edge of it?

I would also call the county sheriff and ask about any ordinances or anything.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    There is a subdivision directly to the south. The access road is to the north a home to the east and then a set of woods to the west. But the west side is a large drop down to a creek and there is a home and a street after the creek. I own that property so i was thinking of shooting at the bottom of the area into the side of the hill my hose resides on. Shooting North would be the ideal way but the road is right there so not so sure. I have contacted my local police and they said it should be fine just expect complaints from the neighbors. So i think ill get a police to come out first and give me the OK. Just wondering about distances and what not. My address is still a Valpo adress just unincorporated. I think im going to post a pic of the property to get some better feed back. Thanks for the quick reply. And yeah Kouts and Hebren are south of me.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    If you could post a pic of the overview that would help. Distance does not really matter its the height of the hill you are shooting into.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Let me know if you can read the pic i just did. The hill is on the west side of house and it is a substantial drop id say about 2 story drop. It would be nice to shoot west except with the drop if i missed the burm the bullet would have a large distance to travel. And i dont like the idea of shooting towards my own house LOL. Shooting North would be the best cause of the amount of open land past the street. But because of the street i dont think that is ok.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Thanks for posting it in a better section was not sure where it should go. Also i just signed up for this sight how can i become a more active member in the INGO? Do you all get together and what not. Im just moving to this home so im new to the area as well.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Looks like you can shoot into.the.hill.towards your own house. If it is a 2 story house size hill, you can't miss.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I feel like if you had a really good backdrop to shoot into you might be okay since you have 6.5 acre. It's a bummer that you are surrounded by streets and houses though. Maybe you could make a berm and then just call the sheriff's office to come out and get their opinion. They would be the ones ticketing you if there was a complaint after all.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Yeah that is what im thinking of doing. I just dont want to build the thing facing north and then the cops say no way cause of the road. It would suck to have to move it after i have a truck dump it there. Thanks for the replys.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I live pretty close to you, pretty much due West in Porter Township. I shoot on my property all the time. I had one visit from the Sheriff's department, after a farmer neighbor called them because I was shooting with some friends. The Deputies came over and said they had reports of shooting. I told them yep, we were shooting over there and pointed to my berm. They asked if there was any chance of missing, and I said nope. They said "Ain't nothing wrong with shooting" and left.

So, whatever you decide to shoot at, make sure you can't miss it. The size of your berm and the distance you are shooting from both play big parts in this.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks for posting it in a better section was not sure where it should go. Also i just signed up for this sight how can i become a more active member in the INGO? Do you all get together and what not. Im just moving to this home so im new to the area as well.

NWI INGO gets together once a month at Winamac DNR.
    See my signature for the upcoming events. Our next meet & shoot is on SAT, 14 SEP 2013.
    Yesterday we had a Meet & Eat near Bass Pro.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Thanks i think ill just build a big burm and call the local police to check it before i start shooting. i was worried about the direction with the road to the north. But i think if the burm is good enough i should be fine. Does the law say not to shoot towards a road way or just not into a road way. And where can you find these ordinances i have looked all over online and cant find nothing. I wont be able to attend that Sat i have work hopefully the next one. Thanks for the replys.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    I might have to hold you to that LOL. It will be a while i have a honey to do list that is about 2 years in the making before i can get to dumping tons of sand on my property LOL. Great movie BoonDocks. My wife would not be happy if i spent my free time shooting when there is stuff that needs to be fixed LOL.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    I might have to hold you to that LOL. It will be a while i have a honey to do list that is about 2 years in the making before i can get to dumping tons of sand on my property LOL. Great movie BoonDocks. My wife would not be happy if i spent my free time shooting when there is stuff that needs to be fixed LOL.

Haha I can relate lol. Yes the saints movies are awesome a number of people on INGO I know enjoy them.
    Best of luck with the berm let us know if need anything.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The law prevents you from shooting across a road. It wouldn't make sense to not be able to shoot towards a road. Because there is a road in every direction, some are just further away than others. An indoor gun range is going to have a road on the other side of the wall too.

Just make sure you make a good enough hill that there is no chance to miss and hit a car. You do this by creating a crescent shaped berm and standing between the points.

Top Bottom