• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I used all my google-fu and I couldn't find a good answer to my question so I'm asking the magic 8 ball that is INGO. Are there any rules prohibiting one from carrying a firearm in a Bloomington park? I've seen two specific web pages that address firearms. The first place was under "shelter reservation policies" on Bloomington Parks and Rec's website and it simply states "City Ordinance prohibits alcoholic beverages, drugs, fireworks and firearms on City property." Parks and Recreation Registration, Reservations, and Tee Times

But then I searched Bloomington municipal code and the only gun provisions in the code were preventing a citizen from discharging a firearm within the city (with the exception of self defense) and one saying you couldn't carry on Lake Lemon. Bloomington Municipal Code

The way I'm reading it I can carry because the Parks and Rec rule is referencing a city ordinance that doesn't exist. Anybody know of any other [STRIKE]liberal agendas[/STRIKE] rules or laws that would prohibit carry in a park owned by the City of Bloomington?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess I assumed you could. I'd say if it's in the PR of Bloomington and there's a sign to the contrary, it'll come down to how much do you want to fight about it? Sounds like a good time to CC.

I'll try to look something up...

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    I have looked in the past for any references in either Bloomington Muni code, or Monroe county code. The only one I ever found was the prohibition against discharging within the city limits. I have however seen signs posted at all parking areas for the rail trail prohibiting firearms on the property. Of course my memory of those signs tends to get a llittle fuzzy while I'm actually out there - must be all the sun.;)

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    THINK OF THE CHILDREN MAN!!!!:runaway:

Thats why I need to carry! Population control.

And to GodFearinGunTotin, the way I read that code it says "counties, municipalities or townships cannot regulate possession of firearms except on land they own". So they are allowed to deny people the right to carry in a city park, but I can't find any local ordinances banning firearms.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Thats why I need to carry! Population control.

And to GodFearinGunTotin, the way I read that code it says "counties, municipalities or townships cannot regulate possession of firearms except on land they own". So they are allowed to deny people the right to carry in a city park, but I can't find any local ordinances banning firearms.

Thats the way i read it too. Probably didnt word as well as i could have.

The other thing i was getting at as since they had signs posted, i was wondering, did that have the same weight as law. Im betting they do, but ill defer to somebody more knowledgable than me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just for grins, I looked in their ordinances and did not see anything other that what you already noted.

There is a note that the Parks Department my set "administrative rules", but I can't find them listed anywhere online.

However, I did see the following note here:
    http://bloomington.in.gov/media/media/application/pdf/2720.pdf
    The possession of,
    concealment and/or use of firearms is strictly prohibited in all city parks, department owned green space,
    facilities and programs. Persons possessing concealed weapons permits shall store the weapon unloaded,
    out of sight, and have it placed within a locked vehicle.

It does not reference any ordinance, and I can't find one myself. Either there isn't one, or it is simply a park "rule" - enforceable only as trespassing.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Interesting thread. My wife and I always look around when we drive thru Lower Cascades, and usually spot at least one incident of something transpiring that looks to be illegal/shady. but at least we know that the guys we see don't have guns, cause those guys always play by the rules! :rolleyes:
    Not sayin' wether I have ever carried down there.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Interesting thread. My wife and I always look around when we drive thru Lower Cascades, and usually spot at least one incident of something transpiring that looks to be illegal/shady.[/COLOR]

You should drive by the playground around midnight when it's warm outside. You can [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] smell all kinds of illegal activity.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    Interesting thread. My wife and I always look around when we drive thru Lower Cascades, and usually spot at least one incident of something transpiring that looks to be illegal/shady. but at least we know that the guys we see don't have guns, cause those guys always play by the rules! :rolleyes:
    Not sayin' wether I have ever carried down there.

Schafe there nothing shady in lower cascade park. Leave the gay community a lone. I-70 rest stop is to far away. LOL. Lower cascade is for gays and Bryan park is for street thugs. carry cc and go about your business. Interesting thread though. Even about lake lemon. Im still looking for info on that. My father lives on the lake and I know he carries when he is fishing. Haven't had a chance to ask him what he knows about laws/policy's are for this lake.

Last edited:

nk1124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bloomington
    Schafe there nothing shady in lower cascade park. Leave the gay community a lone. I-70 rest stop is to far away. LOL. Lower cascade is for gays and Bryan park is for street thugs. carry cc and go about your business. Interesting thread though. Even about lake lemon. Im still looking for info on that. My father lives on the lake and I know he carries when he is fishing. Haven't had a chance to ask him what he knows about laws/policy's are for this lake.

No kidding on the Bryan park thing. I used to play tennis on those courts till the lights shut off because the gf at the time couldn't play under the sun. That was before I read about all the shooting goin on there a couple years back. No more night tennis for me now.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Lower cascade is for gays and Bryan park is for street thugs.
    I thought Mayor Kruzan stopped all that?.... No? I guess the townsfolk just need to vote him in again, so he can have another shot at it. Lets see what was that definition of insanity again?....Never mind. :):

Top Bottom