I'm moving to AZ. Can I still keep my LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I was just looking at the State Police handgun licensing website FAQ's. It says that I can get a 4 year PP permit if I have a regular place of business or employment in Indiana. I'm MOVING to AZ, but I'm still WORKING for the same company I do now that's based in Indiana, hence.....I'm technically still "employed" in Indiana....even though I'll be living in AZ. So, it looks like technically, I qualify for a 4 year permit. Thing is though, I already have a lifetime LCTH. Anybody have any idea how this will play out? I can and will occasionally be returning to Indiana to work out of the office. However, I will live in AZ and will be dispatched from my home to various clients up and down the west coast.

Gunner72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Not sure about keeping your LTCH. I lived in AZ for about two years. Constitution carry there or at least when I was there in mid 90's

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I was just looking at the State Police handgun licensing website FAQ's. It says that I can get a 4 year PP permit if I have a regular place of business or employment in Indiana. I'm MOVING to AZ, but I'm still WORKING for the same company I do now that's based in Indiana, hence.....I'm technically still "employed" in Indiana....even though I'll be living in AZ. So, it looks like technically, I qualify for a 4 year permit. Thing is though, I already have a lifetime LCTH. Anybody have any idea how this will play out? I can and will occasionally be returning to Indiana to work out of the office. However, I will live in AZ and will be dispatched from my home to various clients up and down the west coast.
    You are required to inform them of your change of address which can be done online, but your Indiana LTCH is a lifetime, not a lifetime unless you move. Your Indiana LTCH is still active in Indiana, but weather another state honors it with you being a resident of another state is questionable. Indiana doesn't offer a non resident, and many think it is invalid if you are not a resident. There are some pretty long threads on this topic on this forum, and as I recall the License is a Lifetime, which is kind of nice.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    You are required to inform them of your change of address which can be done online, but your Indiana LTCH is a lifetime, not a lifetime unless you move. Your Indiana LTCH is still active in Indiana, but weather another state honors it with you being a resident of another state is questionable. Indiana doesn't offer a non resident, and many think it is invalid if you are not a resident. There are some pretty long threads on this topic on this forum, and as I recall the License is a Lifetime, which is kind of nice.

There are a few, here is one where someone had a letter confirming the Lifetime LTCH does not expire if you move out of state. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state-4.html

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Slight correction: Indiana DOES offer a non-resident LTCH, but is very restrictive on issue of it, as the OP noted. Moving out of state makes the Lifetime LTCH invalid for the time you live outside of Indiana, but moving back only requires a notification of the new address to reactivate it. Do feel free to read the other thread. Good luck and as always,

Blessings,
    Bill

There are a few, here is one where someone had a letter confirming the Lifetime LTCH does not expire if you move out of state. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state-4.html

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Moving out of state makes the Lifetime LTCH invalid for the time you live outside of Indiana

There is no legal provision for "deactivating" a LTCH, and moving out of state is not among the causes for revocation. According to ISP, a lifetime LTCH remains valid even if you move out of state. In fact, if you move out of state, change your address with ISP as required, and purchase a new card, they will send you an Indiana LTCH with your out of state address printed right on it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I remembered members here saying they had moved and were told they would be deactivated while not Indiana residents. Perhaps this has changed in ISP procedure; I was basing my comment on that and on IC 35-47-2-4(f)

(f) The superintendent may not issue a lifetime qualified license or
    a lifetime unlimited license to a person who is a resident of another
    state. The superintendent may issue a four (4) year qualified license
    or a four (4) year unlimited license to a person who is a resident of
    another state and who has a regular place of business or employment
    in Indiana as described in section 3(a)(3) of this chapter.

However, that does clearly state "issue", and not "allow to be retained".

Chez (or anyone else,) do you know anyone who has retained an active lifetime LTCH while living outside of Indiana, without a residence here?

Blessings,
    Bill

There is no legal provision for "deactivating" a LTCH, and moving out of state is not among the causes for revocation. According to ISP, a lifetime LTCH remains valid even if you move out of state. In fact, if you move out of state, change your address with ISP as required, and purchase a new card, they will send you an Indiana LTCH with your out of state address printed right on it.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    This is all just an academic exercise. Even though AZ has constitutional carry, they do issue permits for residents who need one because they travel outside the state. I'm planning on getting an AZ license.....and IN does honor that license. When I do return back to IN for a week or so now and then....I won't have a "permanent" address (hotel??), then I'd have to change the address again when I leave. I was just curious if anyone else with a lifetime LTCH had managed to keep it active because they are still employed in Indiana even though they live out of state.

This might be more interesting if I lived just over the border and worked daily in Indiana and needed it to be active all the time.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    This is all just an academic exercise. This might be more interesting if I lived just over the border and worked daily in Indiana and needed it to be active all the time.
    It is an academic exercise, but it is important to keep bad information from spreading. I also believed and repeated a false belief that "it is deactivated when you move out of state and you have to call to have it reactivated" until a person posted here and corrected it. It was a long thread with lots of opinions until someone confirmed that as the law is written, there is no way to deactivate a Lifetime LTCH. It can be revoked if you become a prohibited person such as a convicted felon, but moving in state or out of state does not make the license invalid. In fact, if someone moved to a state that doesn't issue a handgun permit of any kind and becomes a resident, and come back to Indiana for a visit your LTCH is perfectly valid while you are here in Indiana. It would be up to each state if they honor the license. It would certainly be confusing for them because they see your drivers license from another state, and a Indiana LTCH. I figured I would get a Florida nonresident permit just to reduce my chances of getting into a situation in another state that might be confusing enough to the officer for him to arrest me until it is resolved.

Bottom line, the Indiana Lifetime LTCH is a Lifetime license. If you move and change your state of residence, it is still valid and in force for Indiana or any state that honors it. Weather another state will honor it due to your residence being in another state might be questionable.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I remembered members here saying they had moved and were told they would be deactivated while not Indiana residents. Perhaps this has changed in ISP procedure; I was basing my comment on that and on IC 35-47-2-4(f)

However, that does clearly state "issue", and not "allow to be retained".

Chez (or anyone else,) do you know anyone who has retained an active lifetime LTCH while living outside of Indiana, without a residence here?

Blessings,
    Bill

Yes sir. A member of my family now resides in North Carolina with an Indiana LTCH. It has his NC address printed right on it.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Yes sir. A member of my family now resides in North Carolina with an Indiana LTCH. It has his NC address printed right on it.
    Thank you for the information. The question had been resolved in my reading here a while back, but that fact kind of solidifies it. The question would be if you have a LTCH with an out of state address, will the states that honor Indiana Lifetime LTCH treat it the same? I guess time will tell, but it's nice that Indiana LTCH is an actual Lifetime, no matter how many rumors float around that it's going away. :rolleyes:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Update......I've now been in Arizona since the beginning of October. I went to the IN handgun application website and changed my address. https://firearms.ariesportal.com/
    I've been checking it since then and it still has my IN address and a message that "Duplicate Request in Progress".

Anyone have any idea on how long this is gonna take to get processed? I applied for a duplicate plastic license about 3 months ago and got it in the mail in about two weeks. I would think that a simple address change would be quickly taken care of.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Figures......I post a question on how long it's gonna take and I get an e-mail confirmation this morning that it's been approved. Now the question.....do I want to pay for an LTCH with an AZ address or not............

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Figures......I post a question on how long it's gonna take and I get an e-mail confirmation this morning that it's been approved. Now the question.....do I want to pay for an LTCH with an AZ address or not............

If not then why all of this^^^^^^^^^^

Are you ever coming back here????

Top Bottom