• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    As the weather gets cold and we all bundle up in heavy coats, I'm wondering what methods people use to carry.
    I've thought of using a shoulder holster, but I'm not sure how comfortable that will be for carrying in the car. Also I'm worried how quickly I will be able to draw if I have to.

What methods do people use for winter carry?

David D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2013
    New Albany area
    For me, colder weather allows me greater flexibility to conceal a firearm on my side, or in a shoulder holster. If I were in an uncomfortable situation, I would also pocket carry in a coat pocket.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I usually use a shoulder rig in colder weather & find it to be very comfortable for most anything. I OC if not wearing shoulder holster.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Horse hide holster(s) in my coat pockets, one for Glock, other side mag pouch and flashlight. Other coat has inside pocket on left side I use. Transfer to belt holster if I know I will be taking the coat off.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I stay IWB no change here. I agree it could allow for a wider range of options but I feel staying with a consistent carry method is better for training and muscle memory if you get use to one way it's going to be a lot easier to quickly react with a fast smooth draw when adrenaline takes over. :twocents:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I stay IWB no change here. I agree it could allow for a wider range of options but I feel staying with a consistent carry method is better for training and muscle memory if you get use to one way it's going to be a lot easier to quickly react with a fast smooth draw when adrenaline takes over. :twocents:
    <><><><><><>THIS<><><><><><>

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN

Oh I agree there.. but there is something to be said for having much more clothing to move out of the way to get to the weapon.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    The only thing that changes is my OC becomes CC when my coat is on. Still at 3:00 on the strong side.

I've tried a shoulder rig before. However, when I took my coat off after entering Walmart INGO members started taking pictures of me. Then they started threads to make fun of me. It was just like when I tried a drop leg when my shoulder was messed up and my normal holster wouldn't work. :laugh:

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    I'm almost always open carrying, but now i'm just throwing a jacket over,or a hoodie so no real change there. I try to pick the best clothes that won't get in the way if i ever have to draw. I have one particular pullover hoodie that no matter what i do,makes for very uncomfortable carrying with my serpa holster at 3 o'clock. i'm sticking with zip up hoodies as they feel better,keep me warm,and still cover my sidearm.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm also a fan of carrying the same way as much as possible. Glock 19 in a Safariland ALS holster OWB at 8 o'clock (I shoot left-handed). I usually cover it up if what I happen to be wearing covers it up, which means I CC more in winter. But I really don't give a damn if it shows or if it makes the sheeple nervous. Like ATM said, "The herd is stupid and spooks easily". Maybe more encounters with good guys wearing guns will calm the herd down.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No change to my primary, although I'm more inclined to add an extra gun in a coat pocket during the winter.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I usually switch over to pocket carrying my .44 Special in the winter. Have to switch to a new jacket this year, (the old one bought the farm) so, I'll have to see if that holds true.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I switch to a JFrame in my pocket during the winter. I prefer to carry a full size 1911 during the summer.

Top Bottom