• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think I finally found a carry rig that works well for my wife and me when we go running. Originally we were using a belly band, but the pistol always managed to work its way up and it finally fell out and slid about 20' across the pavement while my wife was running with it. That was when she finally put her foot down and made me find a better solution.

So here it is... a Crossbreed Microtuck (with a twist)

013975F7-2A8B-4B9D-9E42-7E8437D6A00D-6898-00000901C1FA4DA6.jpg

How am I using a Crossbreed with running pants you ask?

4474794A-E85D-42FF-97F2-B4A14285F0B1-6898-00000901CACAD0B7.jpg

I attached the Crossbreed to the belly band using the screws that typically hold the clips on. It retains the pistol, makes drawing it easier and faster than the belly band, and it doesn't move or bounce while running. With something as small as the LCP you can't even tell its there.

This had me thinking... they also make something called a snapslide. Not too difficult to make one yourself with some kydex and leather. Make something similar and then you could make belly bands or even biking shorts with pockets built in to insert the holster.

This still might be kind of warm when it gets hot outside, so I was thinking of getting my wife one of those 5.11 holster shirts (they just started making tank tops for women) to try out. I'll update when that happens.

I hope this helps out some fellow runners. Or in my case, people who run to avoid a heart attack (I really hate running).

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a runner as well, and this setup looks like it would work pretty well. So far the biggest gun I've worn that isn't irritating by bouncing around or falling out is an NAA mini revolver. But it's better than nothing... I guess.

Da1cop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Are you always wearing jogging pants or shorts? Im wondering how this rig will work for me as I hate running in pants. I like the idea an am going to try it. A female was attacked in our city on a running path last month.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Are you always wearing jogging pants or shorts? Im wondering how this rig will work for me as I hate running in pants. I like the idea an am going to try it. A female was attacked in our city on a running path last month.

That is why I thought the idea of adding a pocket to a pair of tights or biker shorts to hold a Crossbreed Snapslide (or make your own) would be a good idea. My wife found that unless the belly band has a shirt under it, the band has a tendancy to ride up and by the end of the run it has become a boobie band. I don't have that problem because I don't have hips. Building it into tights would solve that problem.

You don't need pants for this setup as long as you don't mind OC or wear a shirt long enough to cover it.

It would be less noticeable with a black belly band.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I've thought about getting a chest rig to run with, and then wear a reflective running vest over it. I'm visible, it's not, and I have easy access to it if needed.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I've used a belly band with a Kel-Tec PF-9 and a Kahr PM9 and didn't have any trouble with it moving up, but the elastic feeling around the stomach got old really quick.

I'd be much more interested in a running holster/shirt...I think maybe a forearm band is the way to go, maybe with just a lightly velcro's closure over a kydex holster or something. I want it off my waist!
    arm_wallet.jpg

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    That is why I thought a pocket in running tights would be nice. Not as hot as a band. The prob is no matter what you do it must be tight or it bounces around. It just depends on where you want to wear a tight garment.

I am going to try the shirts, but drawing from one worries me.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have found some belly bands hold the pistol more securely than others. I use a Galco and have had no issues. I like the belly bands because I can carry SOB.

For me it's a lot more comfortable to jog with the pistol carried SOB because of the center position, there is much less impact on balance than there is with the pistol worn on the side.

That being said, I really like the mod you did to the belly band. Just wonder if it would work if you were to turn it so that the holster was SOB?

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    I have a 5.11 holster shirt and would strongly recommend trying one on before purchasing. I don't think it will hold even a small carry gun securely enough that it won't be bouncing around and bugging you. The pockets are pretty big and will allow quite a bit of movement. My shirt is also quite warm when worn under layers, so take that into account for exercising.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    I would be very hesitant to jog/run do something really physically active while using a holster without some sort of active retention mechanism (level 1).

Guns have this sneaky way of wiggling out and falling at inopportune times. Not my cup of tea.

Top Bottom