• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Forgive me if this has been brought up many times in the past but I'm curious about how many of you adjust your carry method from Summer to Winter. This probably applies more to OCers since you are probably now beginning to wear a coat even in your vehicle. For example, if you are right handed and carry strong side do you switch to cross carry for an easier draw while walking or at least driving. Just curious.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I switch over to my pocket gun and carry it in my vest. Don't want to hassle with getting to it past the coat. Easier to just reach into my pocket and grab it. I prefer that, in some ways, too.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Winter time, I always wear a long sleeve shirt, most times a hoody. Since I CC, it's always over my gun. But, when I wear a coat, my shirt is tucked in behind my holster. And my carhartt coat is loose enough to get to my gun quick and easy.

And I'm able to cover my gun with my short before I take my coat off. So I never OC :D

FYI, my EDC does not change with the seasons.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Winter time, I always wear a long sleeve shirt, most times a hoody. Since I CC, it's always over my gun. But, when I wear a coat, my shirt is tucked in behind my holster. And my carhartt coat is loose enough to get to my gun quick and easy.

And I'm able to cover my gun with my short before I take my coat off. So I never OC :D

FYI, my EDC does not change with the seasons.
    I figured most people wouldn't change their EDC. I've been cross carrying on my left side so long that it doesn't matter Winter/Summer, OC or CC. It works beautifully, is easy to draw with a seat belt on, doesn't require two hands to sweep a coat aside and, I believe, is easier to retain in a struggle leaving my right hand free to punch or scratch.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    edc is my g19, kinda hard to cc in the summer but during winter i love it, i myself am right handed and keep it on my right hip. but when driving its between the seat and center console

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Winter carry, I am more likely to wear a shoulder rig for my 1911, but still usually carry IWB in the same holster I would any other time of the year. The one change I do make is if I have a coat on I will keep my 442 in my side pocket for a quick contact break shot. I used to carry my LCP like this, but the hammerless revolver is less prone to malfunction when fired from a pocket.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I never OC anyway but I especially like winter because my coat offers me that ability to easily conceal just about anything I want. Hell I could stash a Serbu Shorty and a full size 1911 LOL...

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I carry my J-frame as a BUG in my coat pocket more often. Im more likely to carry OWB instead of IWB.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have come to appreciate a cross draw rig if I am in and out of a vehicle all day (most days). In warmer months I keep my shirtail out to cover (I am not a slave to fashion) and when it's cool enough to wear a jacket or coat I may still go cross draw or use a shoulder rig. Generally I feel that shoulder rigs basically suck but sometimes it's nice to get the gun out of your waistband. A good shoulder irg like a Galco also allows you to carry a bunch of reloads on the other side (just one less thing in your pockets or on your belt). If I'm not driving all day or having to sit a good IWB rig works for me. I tend to carry medium to large frame revolvers 90% of the time.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    The only thing that changes for me, for the most part, is I Wear a Winter Coat...

^^THIS^^

I very rarely get cold, and I don't often wear a jacket, even in the winter. I have an undershirt and long sleeved shirt on and just OC as usual. If it does get cold enough for me to wear a jacket, I still carry in my regular OWB holster with my jacket unzipped. Cross draw doesn't work for me since I have short stubby arms and can hardly reach across my body.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    ^^THIS^^

I very rarely get cold, and I don't often wear a jacket, even in the winter. I have an undershirt and long sleeved shirt on and just OC as usual. If it does get cold enough for me to wear a jacket, I still carry in my regular OWB holster with my jacket unzipped. Cross draw doesn't work for me since I have short stubby arms and can hardly reach across my body.
    You must be part polar bear if you don't get cold up there in the Winter. Oh, wait. You said you are "portly." That 'splains a lot.:):

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You must be part polar bear if you don't get cold up there in the Winter. Oh, wait. You said you are "portly." That 'splains a lot.:):

Well, I'm 5'8" and 205 lbs. So ya, I am portly, but not obese. A little extra insulation never hurt anyway. I'm just cursed with short legs and arms. I guess I have T. Rex genes.

Z-Rex.jpg

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I use a Crossbreed Supertuck winter or summer, gun exposed or shirt tucked over it. Don't hardly know it's there.

Top Bottom