Am I a stickler? OR do you agree with me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I've been on the road the past couple of days. (All over the state.) I was in Terre Haute and I stopped into a gun store. I stopped into a gun store and found just what I wanted a cleaning kit for a gun. When I went to purchase it I was informed that there was a $20 min on all credit card purchases. I asked him if he knew that part of his contract agreement with Visa was that he wasn't allowed to set a minimum. He told me it was his stores and his rules. We went back and forth a bit with the owner not budging. I told him sorry he felt that way and left.
    I was in Greenfield today and tried to purchase the same cleaning kit and was informed that it was under the minimum and that he would charge me 3% charge to run it. I told him never mind and left. (I might add I found this guy to be a bit abrupt too.)
    Anyway this way of doing business just irks me. What do you all think? Especially those who run stores. I understand that they get charged a certain amount for every transaction, but I also know that on average a business expects an increase in sales based on them accepting Visa. My thinking is, the increase in business more than out weighs the occasional hit they take on small sales. It just seems to me that when you're a Mom and Pop type operation some of your business comes from people like me that have never been to their store before, I drive out of way to find your store, and then get turned away because I choose to not carry cash. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
    I might add that I found another shop in Terre Haute that was happy to take my card with no Minimum. I kept adding more and more to my purchase and I ended up over $20. I think the first shop lost out.
    What do you guys think? Am I stickler? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm with you...the only place I would expect to pay the extra 3% is at a gun or woodworking show. Their margin of cost and profit has so much flex on some days then zero on others that I get it. They don't move near enough volume.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I've been on the road the past couple of days. (All over the state.) I was in Terre Haute and I stopped into a gun store. I stopped into a gun store and found just what I wanted a cleaning kit for a gun. When I went to purchase it I was informed that there was a $20 min on all credit card purchases. I asked him if he knew that part of his contract agreement with Visa was that he wasn't allowed to set a minimum. He told me it was his stores and his rules. We went back and forth a bit with the owner not budging. I told him sorry he felt that way and left.
    I was in Greenfield today and tried to purchase the same cleaning kit and was informed that it was under the minimum and that he would charge me 3% charge to run it. I told him never mind and left. (I might add I found this guy to be a bit abrupt too.)
    Anyway this way of doing business just irks me. What do you all think? Especially those who stores. I understand that they get charged a certain amount for every transaction, but I also know that on average a business expects an increase in sales based on them accepting Visa. My thinking is, the increase in business more than outways the occasional hit they take on small sales. It just seems to me that when you're a Mom and Pop type operation some of your business comes from people like me that have never been to their store before, I drive out of way to find your storen, and then get turned away because I choose to not carry cash. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
    I might add that I found another shop in Terre Haute that was happy to take my card with no Minimum. I ended up adding more and more to my purchase and I ended up over $20. I think the first shop lost out.

I've never even seen the inside of a TH gun shop since Poff's (and they were high) went out of business. Where are they at? and no if I were in the biz with a posted CC sign or policy then I would gladly accept the charges. Gander Mountain on 41 near I-70 would have had your cleaning supplies and will take a charge card w/o a hassle. Most everything else is overpriced but I like to look ;)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Yes Archbishop, you are correct. I recall reading my merchant account contract and clearly understanding that I could not charge a minimum or a fee for processing a credit card purchase. It does go against the contract. I really don't know how this can be changed, unless you report the business to VISA/Master-card directly. It does appear to be a very common practice and they either figure they will never get caught by their processing company or they just don't know any better.
    I rarely process credit cards in my business, maybe 1 or 2 a week, but somehow I seem to remember that particular part of the contract.
    I actually think that because each time a card is processed, there is a base fee on top of a percentage of the dollar amount of the sale charged for the processing and these businesses would rather you pay their fee than them paying for it as part of their overhead for doing business.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    At the risk of offending some people, let me name names. The places in Terre haute were, Patriot Sporting Arms at 2367 Maple Ave. and the second was Favre Gun shop at 520 N 42nd St. Patriot's was the place that said they had a minimum on their charges. You'll can bite me. The second place Favre, was very nice and there prices on guns were decent to good. Prices on Accessories were crazy good. I bought a basic Hoppes cleaning kit for $7.50. (I think that's cheaper than Wal-mart.) I also bought a rifle sock for $5.50. (That's only .50 cents more than Wal-mart.) They also had a folding stock for a shotgun for $59.00. (That's the same price I've seen on EBAY.) The lady behind the counter was very friendly and took the time to let me foundle, I mean, look at a few guns. I would highly reccomend their store.
    The place in Greenfield was Rendezvous Gun Shop. Like I said I thought the guy was abrupt, but maybe that's was just his personality. For working with the public I thought it left a lot to be desired. I also thought the prices were a bit high, but not to bad.
    And to be clear , I know the Visa rulings, I run a business and accept credit cards myself. What I'm trying to ask is do you agree with this attitude of running business, or am I making too much of it. As in should I lighten up, cause it really kinda of pisses me off. I left the Greenfield store today not buying the kit. I know it would have only been an extra .30 cents, but it's the principle. I'll buy it on Ebay and say screw the little guy if he want's to run his business that way. As a different poster said, it's part of the cost of doing business. I forget what the average is. Maybe it's a 20% business increase for accepting cards. I would think that makes up for the occasional transaction that's a bit low.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Personally, I think it is the shop owners discretion.

I will admit that I am annoyed with the current trend of using debit/credit cards for low dollar purchases at convienance stores.

I will also say that, IMHO, you should ALWAYS try and have at least $50 in cash on your person. Cash is KING, not every biz accepts the devils buisness card!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

I will admit that I am annoyed with the current trend of using debit/credit cards for low dollar purchases at convenience stores.

I will also say that, IMHO, you should ALWAYS try and have at least $50 in cash on your person. Cash is KING, not every biz accepts the devils business card!

I normally would agree about the plastic but when cost of filling my truck is a days wages and because of drive offs the pay first policies of most all stations, it is just so much easier to pay at the pump

So they lose my soda or coffee sale and my munchies call go unanswered :D becaue I'd have to go inside and start the process all over

Last edited:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Anyway this way of doing business just irks me. What do you all think? Especially those who run stores. I understand that they get charged a certain amount for every transaction, but I also know that on average a business expects an increase in sales based on them accepting Visa. My thinking is, the increase in business more than out weighs the occasional hit they take on small sales. It just seems to me that when you're a Mom and Pop type operation some of your business comes from people like me that have never been to their store before, I drive out of way to find your store, and then get turned away because I choose to not carry cash. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
    I might add that I found another shop in Terre Haute that was happy to take my card with no Minimum. I kept adding more and more to my purchase and I ended up over $20. I think the first shop lost out.

I'm absolutely in agreement with you. I'd rather pay a bank an ATM fee (which really pisses me off) than give a business an extra 3%.

There are costs that go along with every business. Accepting credit cards is a cost of doing business. Treat it as such. Don't pick and choose who gets charged, and if you feel the need to charge 3% extra for a purchase, chances are you're not running a very good business. If that 3% is your make/break point, you might want to re-assess your career path.

I remember buying something at the last 1500 where the man told me there would be an additional 3% charge on it. It was nothing big; I bought 2 holsters. The total was only $70 bucks but I wouldn't allow him to charge me the extra 3%. The guy next to me was looking at a holster as well, and when I mentioned to the employee that "I know what I had to do to EARN that $2.10" in comparison with himself simply sitting there on a stool getting paid and taking my money and stealing my 'extra fee', the guy next to me dropped the holster and left. Miraculously, I got my purchase for the price without the BS fee. Maybe the guy didn't want to lose 3 holster sales over a measly 2 bucks, cutting his losses at the one guy who walked off after learning about this credit card fee.

For the love of all that is holy, don't nickel and dime the public. If you need the extra 3%, mark up your **** accordingly so that your prices reflect it. Then you can make more money on the people paying cash and not **** off the people using plastic.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I will admit that I am annoyed with the current trend of using debit/credit cards for low dollar purchases at convienance stores.

I will also say that, IMHO, you should ALWAYS try and have at least $50 in cash on your person. Cash is KING, not every biz accepts the devils buisness card!

Dang.. You'd hate me...

I swipe my card for 74 cent Polar Pops at the gas stations.

Then I get points from my bank for using my card, which I redeem for certificates to buy more gun stuff!

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Yes, it is wrong for them to charge and I would walk away from a purchase...unless I absolutely had to have what they had and couldn't get it anywhere else. But I'd certainly let them know that I know about the crap charges and think it is crap they abuse it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As a business owner, I'm not sure why you would put up any barriers between the product you are selling and the person who wants to buy it. Doesn't make any sense.

I am still shocked that there are some businesses that don't accept credit cards. You are literally leaving revenue on the table.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    the guy in greenfield does have a attitude problem. i asked him if he had any D-1 targets for NRA qualifications and said if he had the target it would be with the targets... DUHH!!! which was where i was standing and then i asked him if he had any D-2 targets and the hasks me in a rude tone. well which ones do you want, i say either if you have them and he proceeded to say in a rude manner well i dont have any. needless to say if you have issues with small gun shops go to crackshot guns in anderson the owners name is mike and he is a good guy and wont jerk you around.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Archibishop is correct. Merchants who accept credit cards have contracts with the service providers, and they have rules for what you can and can't do. Adding a surcharge for using the credit card is a violation of most of the contracts. I've never researched the minimum purchase thing, but I have no reason to disbelieve that is also a stipulation in the contract.

Sure, a business owner can run their business as they see fit ... unless they're violating a contract.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Personally (and I know many others in agreement) Credit/Debit is pure evil. PLEASE disregard all those commercials you see about cards being better than cash. CASH IS KING...its faster, easier, and more convenient than ANY card you will ever carry. Having to run, and then sort, 500+ CC bills a night is a real PITA, and I would gladly help/serve someone with cash over someone with a card anytime.

As far as it being illegal to have a minimum, I would like to see actual documentation of that, as I'm pretty sure that is not in a CC contract. Is visa/mc is the business of making money, yes, but I don't see them making that illegal in their contracts. I totally agree with the business owner here, if you are going to use your CC on something that cost <$10 (in this situation), or even <$20 for most places pull out a damn bill and pay for it, it takes too much time and hassle to run a card.

Just an example here at Purdue. We have a store called discount den that sells large (52oz) pops for $0.60, and there will be a line of about 10-15 people buying them all trying to use a CC. If at least 1/2 of them had cash it would make the time to buy probably 10 min less.

Just my :twocents: take it or leave it, but I have a serious hate towards CCs.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    As much as I prefer to make transactions in cash, I have found it a lot easier to use a CC most of the time. It allows me to track my purchasing habits on a monthly basis and the cash back adds up (getting a check for $600 bucks from my master card company this week).

I think using cash or credit makes minimal difference on the total time for a transaction. A distracted or generally slow clerk can slow things down a lot more than simply the need to swipe a card. Alternately, some guy using a $50 bill to buy a $0.69 soda can necessitate a clerk tracking down change etc.

It bugs me when there is a minimum charge or additional fee for using a card and I think those merchants often end up cutting off their nose to spite their face.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I agree with the OP that CC fees and/or minimum purchases are annoying, and it seems to me appropriate to take your business elsewhere if faced with one.

THANK GOODNESS nobody is talking about trying to sue the shop owner or otherwise attempt to make a personal gain at such an issue. It seems to me that too often this is the provailing mentality... and one of the main problems with direction of our country.:twocents:

:patriot:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    At the risk of offending some people, let me name names. The places in Terre haute were, Patriot Sporting Arms at 2367 Maple Ave. and the second was Favre Gun shop at 520 N 42nd St. Patriot's was the place that said they had a minimum on their charges. You'll can bite me. The second place Favre, was very nice and there prices on guns were decent to good. Prices on Accessories were crazy good. I bought a basic Hoppes cleaning kit for $7.50. (I think that's cheaper than Wal-mart.) I also bought a rifle sock for $5.50. (That's only .50 cents more than Wal-mart.) They also had a folding stock for a shotgun for $59.00. (That's the same price I've seen on EBAY.) The lady behind the counter was very friendly and took the time to let me foundle, I mean, look at a few guns. I would highly recommend their store.

Thanks for the tip on the TH gun shops. I'll definitely give Favre's a try. They have a hard to find location and I never would have known they were there even though I've driven by several times. I have paid the 3% but only because I wanted the firearm but did not appreciate it

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I have been down this road a few times. Here is the facts.

Master Card and Visa has an agreement with the merchants that state the following.

1. You must accept the card without question as long as it is signed and accepted at the POS. No identification required.

2. There can not be any minimum purchase or other requirements.

3. You can not charge extra for use of the card. (Note: A discount for cash may be offered, but a surcharge for card use is forbidden).

I have had a problem with a specific merchant and written MC about two of those violations. Both times MC has contacted the merchant and corrected the problem.

NOTE: These rules DO NOT apply to Discover Card.

Myrk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    The matter of principal is the real issue. I know a lot of stations have prepay pumps due to drive offs, however, I wear a uniform for work, it has my company name and my first name on the shirt, very different from the ordinary wear of most people. I stopped at a place to fill up and looked inside, made eye contact with the clerk, and they did not even bother to use the intercom to tell me that was a pre pay, they just motioned for me to come in. Sigh... I simply made the motion of waving good bye to them and left. I will not go to that station again, ever. If common curtesy is not given, my cash will not be given. Just my simple solution to the rude indifferent way places deal with their customers.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

Why?

In most cases a card can be run as fast or faster than a cash transaction. How does this practice hurt you?

Top Bottom