• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've seen the mini-series 3 times now and someone on INGO (can't recall who) made the comment last year that I should read the book. I'm about 1/4 of the way done with the book and WOW! Like always books are just so way better than the movies. A ton of smaller details that just could not fit into the book along with a few things (so far) that the mini-series compressed due to time that the book gives you a much fuller/richer experience on.

Grant what I'm having trouble on is putting faces to names becuase when I think of, for example, Maj. Winters I see Damian Lewis
    damian_lewis_97.jpg
    and not
    436px-Dick_Winters_army.mil-2007-03-30-190253_%28cropped%29.jpg

The same with all the rest. To me "the movie actors" ARE the men of Easy Company since that is what I first saw and have watched several times.

What is really sad is if you look at this wiki page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Company,_506th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

I count only 3 survivors left from the listed enlisted.
    All in their 90s by now. :(

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think this is a book I would like to get. I've never ordered an e-book, but since I purchased an iPad, it would be a great book to be my first.

I never knew that Cpt Sobel had such a bad go of things after his years of service. He tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the head, but only succeeded in blinding himself.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you get a chance read Dick Winters biography. It should be required reading for everyone from Military officers, CEO's, to politcians.

I may be wrong but from what I gather he and Spiers were not the best of friends. Two different leadership styles I guess. It's a really good read and it fills in alot of the blanks and gaps.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think this is a book I would like to get. I've never ordered an e-book, but since I purchased an iPad, it would be a great book to be my first.

I never knew that Cpt Sobel had such a bad go of things after his years of service. He tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the head, but only succeeded in blinding himself.

Actually its Lt. Col Sobel. (He made that rank before he retired).
    Capt_herbert_m_sobel_506e.jpg

and the actor (david schwimmer) actually does look like him
    419px-DavidSchwimmer10TIFF.jpg

The sad part is there was no service for him held after his death. From the wiki entry he died in an assitant living home most likely with his family (2 sons) by his side.

If you get a chance read Dick Winters biography. It should be required reading for everyone from Military officers, CEO's, to politcians.

I may be wrong but from what I gather he and Spiers were not the best of friends. Two different leadership styles I guess. It's a really good read and it fills in alot of the blanks and gaps.

Yes that book is next on the list of things to read.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They're in their 80's at least, likely 90's. My dad was in the war, though in the Coast Guard, and he died a couple of years ago at 86. Our greatest generation is cashing out; it's a shame what the last of them have to see.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I thought the series did an excellent job of following the book. Like most book to movie creations things get left out but this one seemed to follow extremely close

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I also listened to the book on tape also. It's just as good as the movie and the book. I think that each gave a little more info than the other.

Top Bottom