• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Or Best Offer..........Really? (More random thoughts from printcraft.)

Pertaining to sales, and not limited to the classifieds here by any means.
    It's prevalent throughout any and all classifieds, online ads, private print ads,
    on the windshields of cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. etc.

I have never dealt with anyone that has actually meant "or Best Offer".
    Q: Have you EVER dealt with someone that took a "best offer" from you?
    Or did you make and offer and they gave you the closer to their original price counter?

2001 Chevy 1/2 ton - $8,000 OBO.

"Hey like your truck, would you take $7000.00?"

No, I need at least $7750.00 for it.

"Well it says OBO, have you had any other offers?"

No....

Ok......

Now, I know everyone has the right to sell for whatever, yada, yada, yada.
    Vote with your $$$........ yeah I get it.

Why put O.B.O. if you have no intention of actually doing it?
    Same thing with listing your crap on e-bay.
    If you are going to do an auction.... WHY list a reserve??

I just think O.B.O. is just a little disingenuous and more of a sales hook than anything serious.
    Not calling anybody out, I've used the term myself.
    BUT I'm going to make it a point to not use it in the future.

Sorry for the lame ass thread but I just wanted to get this thought out of my head and this seemed like the best place to do it.
    :D

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I never use OBO on anything I sell here or otherwise, it let's the buyer know your already resigned to taking less money than your trying to get.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    OBOALAIE

I've never had an OBO go through. And a few of them where I've known the seller, I've found out they have just not gone ahead and sold them because the didn't get their asking price.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "OBO" is another way of saying "This is an auction and I'm going to take the highest bidder, but I'm going to make everyone wait until I decide the auction is over before I tell everyone if I'm accepting or rejecting their offer."

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have only had an OBO mean OBO once. I saw a truck 1500 OBO. I offered 8 one hundred dollar bills for the title and the keys and they took it. It was MY OBO.

Here is an example of truth in advertising. I guess it does happen albeit rarely.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    What I dislike even more than that is when people put things for sale with no price on them, only their phone number. This is a sure fire way to not get me to buy something.

In my book, that ranks right up there with people who ask the same question that was already asked earlier in a thread.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I use OBO for every ad I post. And I actually mean it.

I don't expect to get ANY amount I ask for. If you make me a fair enough offer, I'll accept it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I put it in my ads if I am unsure of the actual value... I may have a close guess to what the value may be, but I want people to know I am not firm set on $XX.XX otherwise I would have said firm.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have had a couple OBO's go through. I bought my first car with a OBO, was listed for 1200, I called the guy and told him I had 500 cash and that was it. About a year ago I found a all Colt M4 for 1100 OBO, I offered 800 and was out the door. That's about it for me, that I can remember anyhow.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I guess I always looked at it a little differently. When I see XXX$ OBO, I always thought it was best offer OVER XXX$. If all they wanted was best offer, why would they put a starting price on it in the first place? :dunno: But that's just me.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    OBO just means that the seller is willing to negotiate on the price. I will very rarely buy from someone who lists their item with a price that is FIRM. The buyer wants to think that they are getting a deal. OBO is alot easier than putting "I am willing to take lower than the asking price as long as we can both agree on that price."

Case in point - I recently sold an old beater truck (86 Ford Ranger 4x4). It wasn't worth much, and I was actually considering trading it to an INGO member for a 1911. I put it on Craigslist for $1000, but I figured I would negotiate down to $700 if necessary. Buyer came and offered $900, and it was sold. If I am selling something, I will usually jack the price up by about 5-10% and put OBO indicating that I am willing to negotiate. I get close to what I wanted for it, and the buyer feels that they got a good deal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I was selling some tail lights on Craigs for 80 OBO, guy offered me 60 and i said ok. When he got to my place he gave me 65, i couldnt have been happier. Never had an OBO, where i offered the money go through though.

Top Bottom