Mowing the lawn... how to spend less time!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    House was built in 2012. Moved in that summer and planted grass late summer/fall. Have about 3 acres to mow. Relatively flat and only 3 small trees in the yard to trim around, besides the house and the barn/detached garage. All the landscaping around the house/barn is so that I can cut around it with the Husqvarna tractor w/ a 54" deck.

When grass was still thin I could mow relatively quick (think max speed is rated at 5mph) and it was taking at least 2 hrs. As it's gotten more lush it's taking at least 2.5 hrs.

The Mrs. had told me to get a Zero Turn but, of course, I didn't listen figuring that the price difference between the ZT and my Husq. wasn't worth the difference of a 54" vs. a 60" ZT. I didn't realize that the ZT's have speed on their side.

So.... this being the 3rd year, I'm looking for ways to cut down the sometimes bi-weekly time on in the yard.

Neighbor has a Swisher pull behind mower that he uses behind his ATV. So I first thought to get a good used one, tow it behind the tractor, and double my mowing swath. Shouldn't be a problem as the 3 main areas (side yard, front yard and back yard) are all large and allow for long rows. Minuses seem to be so-so cutting quality, putting more stress on the tractor (transmission), and while my yard is mostly smooth it does have parts that are kind of "bumpy".

(not my yard/picture - just for reference)

So if that's not optimal and/or not a good long-term solution (I'll be mowing this lawn for at least the next 20 years), I'm back to looking at ZT's.

Local dealer showed me the Exmark Pioneer S (60" deck). https://www.exmark.com/products/mowers/zero-turn/pioneer/pioneer-s-series
    Commercial quality for a decent price (finding $6600 so far w/ 48 month 0% interest) with a 4 year warranty.

4.jpg

Another dealer showed me his Grasshopper 126 with the new 61" deck. Another 4 year warranty and again it looked beefy. Price was $5850 with 0% interest for 54 months. MidMount 126V | Grasshopper Mower

126V_p.png

Then stopped at another dealer. He showed me the JD Z665, which is on their residential series but seems to be built well and has 4 yr warranty. They changed part #'s in 2016, so the 2015's have an additional $600 rebate - best price I've found is about $6,000 = $5400. 0% interest for 12 months. https://www.deere.com/en_US/product...s/zero_turn_mowers/z600_series/z665/z665.page

r4c003741_z665_642x462.png

As I was calling JD dealers about the Z665, one told me he had a "out of this world deal" for me. :rolleyes:

They have the 2016 JD Z915B (60" deck) for $6250 + 0% interest for 48 month. Looking at it next to the Z665 made me drool. :): It's REALLY beefy vs. the resi model and is really making me re-think my decision. https://www.deere.com/en_US/product...ers/ztrak_z900b_series/z915b_48/z915b_48.page

r4a025860_z915b_48_642x462.png

I know I'd be happy with any of them, but is the Z915B worth $850 more than the lowest cost one (Z665)? I've heard Grasshoppers are great - is the 126 as good as the big ones? Should the Exmark be in the running at all? I really don't want to spend this, but if I do get one I figure do it right and not have to worry about it. Plus, the Mrs says if I can save an hour each week for 20 years it'll be worth it (she probably has more chores lined up for me:wallbash: ).

I have the cash saved up, but with the great 0% financing deals I'll keep my $ working for me and use their $ for free.

Thoughts?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have the hustler SD 48" deck I have been using since summer '08.
    Takes me about an hour to cut 2 acres.

Several trees, back acre is fenced with about 10 feet on the outside of the fence that is mine to cut.
    I'd buy another hustler again in a heart beat.

Just blades, oils and filters, spark plugs, fuel filter, and grease.

Edit
    I go slow on mine as it is bumpy, if I went faster I could most likely finish it in about 45-50 minutes. Not to mention I like being outside on the mower listening to my Ipod.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I don't know about the other brands.
    I know we went from 2 42" lawn tractors (sears) to a Hustler Fastrak ZT 60" cut (no big box store model) after about 13 years of mowing 5 acres. 2 years with it now. We went from 7 hours to 2.5 hours in no time flat. I'm still kicking myself for not having bought one sooner.
    I would recommend the upgraded model with "air ride" seat/suspension if you have moles like we do... but we get by just fine without.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have that Deere zero turn sitting in my barn right now, what a joke! No power, stamped deck has no suction and doesn't discharge grass, rough riding, destroys the yard on every turn.

I would start with the eXmark but would jump up a model or two as that one is NOT commercial duty.

I have the exact same yard as you and can mow in 50min.

I have done this for 18 years...

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I have that Deere zero turn sitting in my barn right now, what a joke! No power, stamped deck has no suction and doesn't discharge grass, rough riding, destroys the yard on every turn.

Thanks for the feedback. Which JD - the Z915B or the Z665?

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I'm still kicking myself for not having bought one sooner.

That's why I'm finally listening to the Mrs. I like mowing the lawn... but with my work travel it's eating up more of the weekend or a long evening or 2 during the week than I'd like.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    wouldn't that be cool? As a kid I thought it would be awesome if they could cut all the grass at a soccer complex with one giant beam of a laser. I figured it was impractical because you could never get everyone to jump at the same time so as to not be hurt by the laser.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am a Deere guy, from a Deere family, going back to the 1930s. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Grasshopper. The stuff Deere has pulled in recent years with its dealers has left me less than loyal.

My buddy has the JD665. It's a couple years old and mows like a champ. The only problem he has with it, if he leaves it sit while it's running, the exhaust burns his grass. It's a known problem among owners, but most dealers deny it's an issue. I told him to take it to the dealer, who has a beautiful yard, drive it off the trailer and start mowing, stopping every 10 feet or so. The next day, they won't be able to deny the problem.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have a grasshopper 720 with the 61" deck and I can mow 1.5 acres in about 35 min. If you can afford it, I would go with a front mounted deck. They are more maneuverable if you have low hanging trees/bushes that you can get under. Just make sure you stick with a kohler or kawasaki, have both those and Briggs commercial engines, the kohler and kawasaki are both hands down better maintaince wise.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    The deere homeowner version are just like the cheap zt's. Never used a grasshopper before.

The commercial series deere is a pretty good machine but
    Exmark is hands down the best Zt I've ever used. The most durable too

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    From a guy who makes his living running ztr mowers, exmark all the way. I would step up to the Lazer series, and look at a used unit with 1000hrs or less if you want to save $. That's nothing for a well maintained machine and in your 20 years, you still won't get it to 2000 hours since you will be saving so much time.
    If cut quality matters to you, the exmark Lazer will beat the snot out of the others you listed. It'll also hold its value better than the rest if you ever decided to trade up, hire it done, etc.

There is a reason almost all the commercial guys run exmark lazers around here. They are the best. Period.

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    Another way to help you ease up on trimming is to buy a jug of Hi-Yield and spray it around the outside of your flower boxes, fence lines, and retaining walls. It will wipe out the grass along the edges that you can't hit with the mower. ;)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If you want to spend less time mowing the yard just have your wife do it!

:joke:

My GF can mow 4 1/2 acres in 2 1/2 hours and she takes her time doing it. We bought a Ferris Big Block! (insert Tim Allen grunts here)

All kidding aside, I won't tell you about the sweet Dixie Chopper ZTR my neighbor just picked up for $2k.:ugh:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Since you can afford it, I would suggest getting a commercial grade mower instead of a residential grade. It should hold up better in the long run.

I was in a similar situation last August and ended up with a JD Z920M. For the short time I got to use it I loved it.

Top Bottom