• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is there anything more infuriating than knowing someone was in your home while you slept, and took things?

Apparently someone left our garage door open overnight, so someone came in through the garage and rooted around on the main level. Opened the fridge, went through kitchen drawers, took game systems, took my tablet, dug through bookshelves and storage boxes. Didn't seem to come upstairs or go downstairs. Looks like they also took my wife's purse... so we've got some credit cards cancelled.

No neighbors have cameras.

Cop just left, said the house down the road had their car ransacked, but didn't go in the house.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I'm so sorry to hear that! They should have automatic garage door closers that are on a timer...was your door in your garage locked?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm so sorry to hear that! They should have automatic garage door closers that are on a timer...was your door in your garage locked?

Stupidly, it was not. Just an open invitation. They rooted around in wife's car, didn't get anything. They do have her car keys, but we'll get that changed.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    Sometimes those car keys can be more expensive that anything else if it's a new car! Check local pawn shops today and the next few days for your stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To anyone that thinks thieves are not on the prowl.......they are.
    Is you door on an opener.
    Is the device secure.
    Thieves buy/steal universal openers. They drive down the street pointing them at doors until one opens. It is a fact. If yours is not secure.....make it so.

Thieves are "EVERYWHERE"

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sorry to hear this. We went through something similar last year. My wife left the house for 30 minutes and they came in through an open rear window and got some jewelry, electronics, cash and 4 of my guns. (Bolt down your pistol safes folks.)

I'm glad to hear the scumbag(s) didn't come upstairs and decide to wake you up and take things to the next level. I hope you have insurance to cover the stolen items.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sorry to hear this. We went through something similar last year. My wife left the house for 30 minutes and they came in through an open rear window and got some jewelry, electronics, cash and 4 of my guns. (Bolt down your pistol safes folks.)

I'm glad to hear the scumbag(s) didn't come upstairs and decide to wake you up and take things to the next level. I hope you have insurance to cover the stolen items.

I don't even know if it's worth putting through to insurance. We already had a huge claim with them earlier this year... I'm afraid they'd drop us at this point.

The games and crap are replaceable. I don't think insurance can do much with my wife's purse (no cash in it).

I just feel absolutely violated. Unbelievably infuriated that I didn't catch them in the act.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry to hear OP. Glad everyone is safe. Losing your stuff sucks. And fire your dogs. They failed. No treats for them. :):

To anyone that thinks thieves are not on the prowl.......they are.
    Is you door on an opener.
    Is the device secure.
    Thieves buy/steal universal openers. They drive down the street pointing them at doors until one opens. It is a fact. If yours is not secure.....make it so.

Thieves are "EVERYWHERE"
    Luckilly the newer openers are smarter than that. (and have been for 20 years now) If the unit isnt paired, it wont open the door.

OP, if your opener isnt accounted for, do a system reset on the opener and re-learn your remaining opener(s). Usually the instructions are on the opener. That will prevent the intruders from coming back. Also re-key the house if they also got the house keys with the car keys. I HIGHLY recommend the kwikset smartkey. And while you are at it, add one of these to the man door inside the garage. It allows quick access to the house but still secured so if your door gets left open again, they wont get past the garage.
    SmartCode Lever

And these are handy: (or one like it)
    Skylink Products | Garage Door Openers and Accessories | Home Automation | Wireless Security / Alert System | Emergency Dialers | Swing Door Opener |

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Sorry about it. Its always a bummer when stuff like this happens. It happened to my vehicle a few times, but luckily never my house. Its so infuriating and the feeling of violation is gut wrenching. My wife wonders why I am such a stickler for locking our doors, even when we are home, but it experiences like what you had that reinforce why I do (luckily the times I left it open nothing was taken).

Did you try "Find my Iphone" for the Ipad? Might be a long shot, but never know if it will point you in a direction.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sorry about it. Its always a bummer when stuff like this happens. It happened to my vehicle a few times, but luckily never my house. Its so infuriating and the feeling of violation is gut wrenching. My wife wonders why I am such a stickler for locking our doors, even when we are home, but it experiences like what you had that reinforce why I do (luckily the times I left it open nothing was taken).

Did you try "Find my Iphone" for the Ipad? Might be a long shot, but never know if it will point you in a direction.

It was an android tablet, and it was off at the time, wifi-only.

I logged into the google account and clicked the "lock and erase" option... but I don't know if that'll work. Maybe next time it gets on wifi or something it'll get the command, I have no idea.

The tablet has a password, so it'd likely be difficult to get to all my apps and accounts on there. Changed the password on all of those.

Since it was off, I also can't find it on the location services. Might pop up next time it gets on a wifi though.

Edit: Ah, looks like the blu-ray player is gone too.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That really sucks. Sorry, man.

My wife usually goes to bed before me and I always (try) and make sure the garage doors are down and the house doors are locked before I go to bed. There has been multiple times she gets home and leaves the garage door up for hours and I find it in my pre-bed time check.

You were a victim of opportunity, it's probably of little comfort, but at least you weren't being 'cased' and had somebody watching your every move.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Luckilly the newer openers are smarter than that. (and have been for 20 years now) If the unit isnt paired, it wont open the door.

i have a two year old system. It has rolling codes and should meet the security you describe. While testing some ham equipment under power on an unbalanced load I successfully (accidentally) overloaded the receiver for my opener and up came the door. I bet I could get most any door up this way.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That really sucks. Sorry, man.

My wife usually goes to bed before me and I always (try) and make sure the garage doors are down and the house doors are locked before I go to bed. There has been multiple times she gets home and leaves the garage door up for hours and I find it in my pre-bed time check.

You were a victim of opportunity, it's probably of little comfort, but at least you weren't being 'cased' and had somebody watching your every move.

There was a saleskid that was going door-to-door through the neighborhood, says he was selling lawn insect treatment. Probably legit, but I gave a description to the cop.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Years ago we lived near a small county airport. Our garage door used to go up and down when planes would fly over. We had to change the opener and then it stopped. That was the weirdest thing ever. Luckily, it was not an attached garage so if someone had gotten in there, all they would have had was my junky old car that never had anything of value in it.

My son has had his car broken into twice and the second time they took his social security card. For whatever reason, he had left his wallet in the car. That was the only thing they took...not his debit card, just the SS card. I put an alert on his credit reports but so far nothing has ever shown up and that was a couple of years ago.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I feel for you man. This happened to us some weeks ago, though it was while we weren't home and they came more than once, only taking some cash and jewelry until we noticed.

Our new alarm system and cameras bring us much peace of mind. I was so angry I didn't sleep for two nights, and instead had friends with guns come hang out with me.

Hope they find the bastards, and that you and the wife get to feeling safe again soon.

Top Bottom