• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Any body else mess with it as hobby ? If so what do you have?

As of now my quad is a modded AR and my plane is a spyhawk. Im still stuck under 1k on both, but I got no real neeed to go out that far.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm looking at a Phantom 2+, but I'm still in the investigation phase.

My buddy flies a P2 Vision Plus, has picked up 2 additional for some friends and is getting another one for himself. Picture quality and ease of flight is amazing.

I fly a walkera qr x350 w/ gopro. I like having sound with the camera, but have not been able to use fpv. I think the radio interferes with gopro's wifi. As soon as I throttle up, the signal is lost. I just set it to take pics at an interval or set it to continuesly record. The p2v+ is a 3 axis and controlling it from a smart phone is a really nice feature for capturing exactly what you want.

If you have any questions on either one, I will do my best to get you an answer.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    These are really fascinating, especially how it will fly a path you select for it based on GPS. I'll need to get one at some point but hard to justify it right now.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My buddy flies a P2 Vision Plus, has picked up 2 additional for some friends and is getting another one for himself. Picture quality and ease of flight is amazing.

I fly a walkera qr x350 w/ gopro. I like having sound with the camera, but have not been able to use fpv. I think the radio interferes with gopro's wifi. As soon as I throttle up, the signal is lost. I just set it to take pics at an interval or set it to continuesly record. The p2v+ is a 3 axis and controlling it from a smart phone is a really nice feature for capturing exactly what you want.

If you have any questions on either one, I will do my best to get you an answer.

I already own a GoPro3, but I like the idea of FPV/streaming video. As best as I understand it at this point, a P2 Vision+ (the one that's set up for FPV) costs less than the P2 with the gopro gimbal once you factor in the cost of adding streaming video. Do you know how the DJI camera compares to the GoPro3? Looks to me like the software integration is better with the Vision+ than if it were pieced together, but video quality (to include stabilization) is what's most important to me.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Image from gopro:

If it would stream, I would be happy enough with it. The fish eye is definitely more than dji's on board camera, so if your wanting better results, you would be better off with dji.

Attachments

• photo_zpse8305c6d.jpg
      photo_zpse8305c6d.jpg
      145.8 KB · Views: 50

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Yes, I do. I actually just got FPV setup tonight. Since it rained and was after dark already, didn't do a test flight but walked a good 2+ blocks with the camera and transmitter and the feed stayed mostly clear even with the ground station / receiver located in the garage. Not the best FPV setup, but should be able to get a good quarter mile range on the video feed. Good enough for me.

I just took these earlier:

J0mlUW4.jpg

I am transmitting video back to a laptop for now. Going to get some video goggles soon, :)

VqE2qq2.jpg

The quad from another angle.

For those interested:

• SK450 frame with deadcat conversion.
    • Turnigy plush 25A ESCs
    • Turningy Multistar 935kv motors (Though I am going to replace them and use them for a tri-copter build)
    • KK 2.1.5 flight control board. I have the tool to flash the firmware on there but just haven't done it yet. May use it on a future tri-copter build and replace the one for the quad with a Naza or something similar(
    • Box full of props. Right now rocking 9X4.5" 3 blade props, though sometimes have 10X4.5" or 8X4.5" on there. I actually have some 10X4.7" and 9X10.47" but the pitch of the blade is so steep that it makes the center of the proper too tall for my motor shafts so I can't use them (yet).
    • Hobbyking 6 channel radio and receiver... one again, this will be used on my future tri-copter build as I upgrade this one.
    • Mobius 1080p action camera.

FPV gear:

njjECE0.jpg

PFkGkzr.jpg

SJXduRh.jpg

By the way... I prefer the term 'quadcopter', 'multirotor', or 'UAV' over 'drone'... I think most people do. That's like calling a Jeep a tank :)

I'm still pretty new to the hobby but do enjoy it quite a lot. Recently became a AMA member and fly pretty much every weekend. I've got a lot of video too, though I am going to compile something that includes a lot of nice scenic shots of the Madison and southern Indiana area. The photos above are just a couple screen captures :)

EDIT: Forgot to add, next thing on my to-do list is building a gimbal for my mobius rig. Actually, going to order this: http://www.fpvmonkey.com/g10-mobius-gimbal-v4/ from here: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_326&products_id=2989 though I still need to get the motors and control board to operate it properly. Waiting for stock to arrive. Watch the video in the FPV monkey link to get an idea on how good this is. They mounted the gimbal behind the quad for a unique point of view.. just shows how the horizon stays level no matter if the quad itself is turning, nose down or up. Really neat. Can't wait to get it all together and go fly. :)

EDIT2: Still tweaking the settings on the board and trying to get everything dialed in. One thing about the KK2.1.5 board is that you're more or less flying in manual mode, which is probably best for new people so you don't become dependent on elaborate systems that may fail and render you unable to recover your quad. Only thing I really wish the KK2.1.5 board could do that it can't is an altitude hold or position hold. But it's a great control board for the money and heavily documented.

Last edited:

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Will be doing my maiden flight with the FPV setup on my lunch break later this evening. Going to keep it low and likely within line of sight incase I lose video signal. This weekend I need to go somewhere where I can test the actual range but have no large enough fields/open/public spaces near me. Plus I have no on screen display setup yet, so need to keep it within general line of sight so I don't lose track of the damn thing and can't return it to me.

Also, an FPV course would be awesome! I wish there was a giant field somewhere near me that had loops and barriers to fly through, obstacles and what not. That'd be a ton of fun. :)

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Also, an FPV course would be awesome! I wish there was a giant field somewhere near me that had loops and barriers to fly through, obstacles and what not. That'd be a ton of fun. :)

Look harder cause there in plain sight most of the time. Bridges and other man made objects that cats on youtube do that make the hobby look bad.
    Flying through the woods is also fun but slow moving dodging limbs and trees and can get lost if you get past 100 yards.

I don't fly my quad as much as I use to, I like the planes i made better . Heck I like my fpv truck more the the quads.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Look harder cause there in plain sight most of the time. Bridges and other man made objects that cats on youtube do that make the hobby look bad.
    Flying through the woods is also fun but slow moving dodging limbs and trees and can get lost if you get past 100 yards.

I don't fly my quad as much as I use to, I like the planes i made better . Heck I like my fpv truck more the the quads.

Ha, true. I have some trees and woods near me that make it interesting. Can't wait to get out this weekend for my first real FPV experience. I had an hour lunch on Monday and I went out and spent 30 minutes or so flying... so not very long. :)

I'm wanting to get a glider or plane. Preferably a glider or whatever they consider the foam planes with one propeller in the back that you hand launch. Those seem like a lot of fun.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Uhg, I need a new prop balancer. Mine is out of balance. Can't balance propellers if the tool you rely on to do this is also out of balance! Right now my video has more Jello then Bill Cosby and I've done everything reasonable on to remove this, got my mobius wrapped in vibration absorbing foam.

Did get a couple decent frame grabs from today, though. :)

mOSjHKO.jpg

FPV practice. I'll probably replace that stock lens on that Sony CCD cam with something a bit wider.

wHPHZbu.png

Above the canyon and trees, looking south/south east.

H92J4iY.jpg

Was a neat area to fly in and a nice little hike for me. :)

Man, people on multi-rotor/quad copter/rc/FPV forums and groups were all sort of butthurt over this promotional video made by SilencerCO:

[video=youtube_share;jIXwQVFt8Ho]http://youtu.be/jIXwQVFt8Ho[/video]

As a lover of guns and a lover of my 'drone' (quadcopter...), I couldn't help but to laugh. I love the video and I'd love to have that shotgun setup too. Shooting down DJI Phantoms are unfortunately a lot more expensive than clay, but would still be fun :)

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Looks fun, what kind of OSD you gonna put in it ? Also what kind range you getting with that HK ccontroller. I just did a antenna mod on my dx6i with 8db omni antenna.
    I broke my dang steering servos on my monsters truck running fpv in a rock quarry . Got stuck in the only sink hole in the whole dang quarry. OSD said I was 703 meters away, long freakin walk.

I got parts on order and a new plane from hobby king but those mother loving dorks have the worst shipping ever.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Looks fun, what kind of OSD you gonna put in it ? Also what kind range you getting with that HK ccontroller. I just did a antenna mod on my dx6i with 8db omni antenna.
    I broke my dang steering servos on my monsters truck running fpv in a rock quarry . Got stuck in the only sink hole in the whole dang quarry. OSD said I was 703 meters away, long freakin walk.

I got parts on order and a new plane from hobby king but those mother loving dorks have the worst shipping ever.

Unsure on the OSD just yet... probably keep it simple and would be happy with just the voltage displayed. Though ideally if I upgrade my rig to include a GPS, having the launch point displayed with an arrow pointing back to where I launched from would be GREAT as well as how far I am away from the launch site. I would really, really, hate to lose either FPV signal or control signal by flying too far and then having it fall from the sky somewhere.

Range on my HK stuff is probably limited to 1/4 - 1/2 mile or so in direct LOS. Haven't had a chance to test it just yet, that's just based on what I have read. It should be about the same for my FPV stuff too. I'm not doing any crazy flights yet and get uncomfortable when it's too far away for me to see clearly.

And yes, Hobby King is rough on shipping. I've given them too much money only to be frustrated. I understand they're cheap, but it bugs me that it takes 2, 3, or 4 days to just grab my order from the warehouse, put it in a box and ship it. I guess Amazon Prime and other, smaller distributors have babied me with their ultra fast shipping that I just lose my patience with HobbyKing.

On a side note: What is a good glider or plane that you would recommend to someone? I really want to get a glider, I think and learn to fly with it. And suggestions? I think FPV in a plane / glider would be more fun than on a quad.

rex soldier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Valley of Dry Bones
    Im rocking EZ OSD has every thing on volt, alt and gps. No RTH tho but has shiny arrow to point back to me. HK I think as some cheaper osd with the same setup. Lol HK sucks way more than that its been 2 weeks and the butt holes already charged my paypal but havn't shipped it yet. I don't know what to tell you about gliders either build one or find one big enough to hold fpv gear. All the fpv planes are sold out most of the time and I built all of mine

Top Bottom