• Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    INGO Harley Davidson Guys:

I have always wanted a Harley because I love the history and sound of the bike. I'm not a biker or rider in the truest definition of either word, but I've been riding motorcycles for about 20 years and have owned four different bikes.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 Road Glide with ~69,000 miles on it. It is in great shape and my friend is wanting $6,500 for it. Can you guys tell me from your experience if this is a good deal? I've done Google searches and the prices are all over the place, but I've not found one lower than $7,300.

Here is the email I received from my friend describing the bike:

1998 Road Glide
    1 of 800 95th Anniversary models
    69,000 +/- miles
    Had had synthetic oils most of it's life
    Almost new tires
    Mine does not have the chrome brake covers...
    Bike needs nothing other than a rider!

Like I was telling you, I had it detailed last year and it looks almost showroom.... it does not look like a 15 year old bike. It rinds perfect.

So, what do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      13.2 KB · Views: 126
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      11.5 KB · Views: 71

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    can't go wrong on the price. I ride an Ultra Glide Limited and the wife rides a Road King. We both rode the Road Glide and it seemed to stretch us out a little further then we liked. We have a Street Glide on order for her that is supposed to arrive next month. If it sits good and rides good buy it. You can always sell it for the same money in a couple years if you keep it serviced and well taken care of.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    NADA put the value of the bike between $6,400 and $8,500 depending on condition and accessories.

~70K miles is pretty high but not a deal breaker as long as it has been maintained properly. Does your friend have service records?

Do you know if it is an EVO or a Twin Cam engine? The EVO is the most desirable and is damn near bullet proof. I am not up enough an HDs to be able to tell just by looking or by model year.

EDT: nevermind SkullDaddy knew.

Decent looking bike, good price. Sure, get it if you want it.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    INGO Harley Davidson Guys:

I have always wanted a Harley because I love the history and sound of the bike. I'm not a biker or rider in the truest definition of either word, but I've been riding motorcycles for about 20 years and have owned four different bikes.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 Road Glide with ~69,000 miles on it. It is in great shape and my friend is wanting $6,500 for it. Can you guys tell me from your experience if this is a good deal? I've done Google searches and the prices are all over the place, but I've not found one lower than $7,300.

Here is the email I received from my friend describing the bike:

1998 Road Glide
    1 of 800 95th Anniversary models
    69,000 +/- miles
    Had had synthetic oils most of it's life
    Almost new tires
    Mine does not have the chrome brake covers...
    Bike needs nothing other than a rider!

Like I was telling you, I had it detailed last year and it looks almost showroom.... it does not look like a 15 year old bike. It rinds perfect.

So, what do you think?
    BUY IT!!!!! 80 cubic inch evo motor, I'm assuming carburetor rather then fuel injection. Best engine Harley has ever made.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Good point about the engines. Folks with EVO's love them. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble with my Twin Cam.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've heard road glides ride a lot better than the other HD baggers due to the fixed fairing instead of fork mounted fairings. Never road one. Can't get past the look of the fairing.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    NADA put the value of the bike between $6,400 and $8,500 depending on condition and accessories.

~70K miles is pretty high but not a deal breaker as long as it has been maintained properly. Does your friend have service records?

Do you know if it is an EVO or a Twin Cam engine? The EVO is the most desirable and is damn near bullet proof. I am not up enough an HDs to be able to tell just by looking or by model year.

EDT: nevermind SkullDaddy knew.

Decent looking bike, good price. Sure, get it if you want it.

1998 is evo motor. The Twin Cam 88 was released for the 1999 model year in September 1998. The Twin Cam 96 was released for the 2007 model year.

I had a 1995 FLHTCU that i went all the way to stage three including piston and heads. The bike could pick up the front wheel in first and second gear.

I lost my shorts when I traded it in though. That why I went with the limited it came stock with the 103.

Buy it ride it and leave it alone. Spend your money for gas, oil changes and tires not upgrades.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've heard road glides ride a lot better than the other HD baggers due to the fixed fairing instead of fork mounted fairings. Never road one. Can't get past the look of the fairing.

My good friend test-rode a '13 Road-Glide and said it rode much better than his Ultra. Never rode one myself though.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

You get less handlebar shake behind a semi with the fixed faring, but over all more wind in general riding. IMO

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Rides really nice, dynas ride great also because of the external shocks on both sides, softails not so much. They have a uni shock under the swing arm. To make it look more like a hard tail. Doesn't ride much better either!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Go for it, but shop around too. You never know what's a good deal until you see what else is available really. You might find something you like the feel of better with less miles for not much more. Regardless, it's a Harley...you can't really go wrong IMO. I've had Yamahas, Suzukis, and ridden several others. Nothing beat the Harley though IMO.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    1998 is evo motor. The Twin Cam 88 was released for the 1999 model year in September 1998. The Twin Cam 96 was released for the 2007 model year.

I had a 1995 FLHTCU that i went all the way to stage three including piston and heads. The bike could pick up the front wheel in first and second gear.

I lost my shorts when I traded it in though. That why I went with the limited it came stock with the 103.

Buy it ride it and leave it alone. Spend your money for gas, oil changes and tires not upgrades.

Ah, thanks! I don't keep up on HD like I probably should. I have a hard enough time keeping up with tech changes on metric bikes. Every two years, like clock work for every product line. And all of them are staggered so I end up taking classes every few months or so to keep my certs current.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The only problem with the Evo motor is the cam chain tensioners. They are plastic and tend to last about 50K miles. Ask if he has had them replaced, and if not you could have them replaced with a gear drive cam.
    Price is right though. It would never be worth less than $6k.

Top Bottom