• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I can't say that I have tried it. I'm more of a Bourbon guy, so if I'm spending $60.00 on 750 ml, it's more than likely going to be Bookers.

I do like the look of the bottle though.

roughstock_montana_whiskey.jpg

Let us know what you think.:yesway:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I can't say that I have tried it. I'm more of a Bourbon guy, so if I'm spending $60.00 on 750 ml, it's more than likely going to be Bookers.

I do like the look of the bottle though.

Agreed. I'm a fan of the cork. All the stuff I like best is sealed with a cork instead of screw-on. Probably all in my head.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Agreed. I'm a fan of the cork. All the stuff I like best is sealed with a cork instead of screw-on. Probably all in my head.

Actually, I'm not sure it is...My top 3 favorites (Bookers, Woodford Reserve and Old Pogue) all have corks and until now, I never really made the association.

Though Makers is a really good mid-shelf Bourbon and it has a screw-on top.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    Actually, I'm not sure it is...My top 3 favorites (Bookers, Woodford Reserve and Old Pogue) all have corks and until now, I never really made the association.

Though Makers is a really good mid-shelf Bourbon and it has a screw-on top.

Is it not more likely that taste follows quality, and that care precedes it? More often than not, quality makers are going to use quality traditional materials. Twist-off caps have a cheap "Boons Farm" connotation, so premium makers usually use corks - of course there are exceptions.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm a fan of Jack Daniel's (I know many here are not), and their Single Barrel stuff is corked while everything else is screw-topped. The Single Barrel has a much something-er quality to it, but I don't know if that's because it's from a single barrel or if it's due to the cork. Knob Creek has that same quality, and it's also corked.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    But Roughstock is not bourbon, so what exactly is your point?
    My apologies. As Fletch posted about a whiskey, and you then said that you were a bourbon fan, I misread that you thought bourbon was different than whiskey.

I see now what happened. You were saying that the kind of whiskey you prefer is bourbon.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Makers is screw capped, but it's waxed. I'm a bourbon guy too. Reviews online of the Roughstock say its a young whiskey, but that's because they had to have barreled it quite a while back. They are probably bottling this stuff now just to get the business going, not sure if it's worth the high price yet. Might wait another 4+ years till the good stuff is released & cut.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Im a Makers Mark fan. The new MM46 is corked. I've had a few samples (ok my own bottle) of a few bourbon/blend/canadians.

Makers Mark is def. my favorite affordable drink of choice.
    Crown XR is my fav flat out. (store retail *not online* is around 180$ish) so its not an every day drinker
    Crown Cask 16 is prob the 3rd place winner.
    Jack Single Barrel would be 4th

after that Bookers and woodford round up the last of the ones i care for and would buy again.
    *i am open to trying "new" ones or ones i havent had before but would prefer that my friends provide it instead of me providing*

although i have 2 bottles of bookers i havent opened them. a tour of Jim said the 2 i have are one bottle of the highest proof, and one from the second highest proof batches.. needless to say i wont drink those anytime soon! just an excuse to get a 3rd bottle!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Mmm...I love bourbon. Here's a few of the bottles I keep on hand for emergencies. For the REALLY good days, I have a few bottles of Wild Turkey Tribute (which I had signed by Mr. Jimmy Russell)

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Not quite the same, but cork'd beers are better in general than those with the regular metal bottle caps. I'd say it's a combination of the cork (as I've had the same beer in metal cap, and cork) and the care the maker takes in thier product. I think I need to make a beer run, want sour ales......mmmm........

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i think at last count i have around 30 bottles of unopened bourbon/whiskey/blends... most being moreo f the collectible types but you never know when it might be consumed if shtf.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have to ask though, why did you have your bottle of Maker's 46 in the freezer prior to that picture?
    I've heard some folks do that so they don't have to add ice and water it down, but like it to be cold when they drink it.

Personally I use about 4 ice "cubes" (the kind that come out of the icemaker) in about half an 8-oz glass worth of whiskey. I like the ice and the cold.

Top Bottom