• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I had done a fair bit of reading about different types of defesnsive situations, and time and time again, a few keys points came up.

1) A Home Defense situation is likely to occur at night / in the cover of darkness.

2) Positive ID is a must (note recent news article about the man that shot his fiance the day before their wedding).

That combination helped make my mind up that I needed a light mounted on at least a few of my weapons. Having purchased a Streamlight and VTAC mount for my AR, and satisfied with its performance, I decided to check out the Streamlight offerings in pistol lights.

What I decided on was the TLR3 LED. I looked at a few of the larger lights, but decided that my needs would be best met with the TLR3. The price is right, the size is small, and the light output is adequate.

I contacted CWood at Indiana Supply Depot for a quote, and placed my order. A few days later, the light arrived, and like a kid at Christmas, I had to open it up and play with it right away.

Installation was very easy with the provided instructions. I installed the light on my Taurus PT92 AF, which has an accessory rail as part of the frame.

The instructions mentioned using insert "B" for the Beretta 92 / Vertec applications, but I found that insert "A" actually worked better, mounting the light close to the trigger guard in the rear of two rail slots. The mount locks up tight, and the toggle switch on the rear of the light is easily reached by either my trigger finger, or my support hand thumb when gripped with both thumbs parallel to the slide.

I am very pleased, and have full confidence that in dark / low light conditions, I'll now be able to make positive identification of any potential targets.

DSC06022.jpg

DSC06023.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It is LED only. Functionality is like most lights, with momentary on, or permanent on.

I'm not sure what the 3 stands for other than it is probably the 3rd model, as Streamlight also has TLR1 and TLR2 models on the market. The TLR 3 is identified as a compact light compared to the other models, suited for smaller framed pistols, but also workes weally well with larger frames.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Thanks for the review. I've been thinking of getting one of these for a weapon light.
    Do you happen to have any Surefire products to compare it to?

Only weapon light I have is my surefire 618FA forend on my 870. That sucker is BRIGHT.
    If a Streamlight product was similar in performance, I'd be sold on the price.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I don't have any Surefire products to compare to unfortunately. I did take an opporunity last night after our daughter went to be to try the light in a dark house. All I can say is wow!

I think it is plenty of light for any in-home situation. I was able to see clearly all the way across our house, and even the light outside of the focused beam was enough to illuminate an otherwise dark room.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I just got a TLR-3 from Optics Planet for $69.95 with free shipping (had a $10 off coupon). It now resides on my M&P9FS. Very good light for the price - does exactly what I need it to do.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow another thread resurrection! But for what it worth I purchased a TLR-3 for my wife's pistol. It is an affordable, universal fit light. I really like the one we have.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It is on my wife's .380. Shot it yesterday. Still worked. Not many rounds go through this gun and she doesn't carry with light attached.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I carry daily with the light attached and have a couple thousand rounds downrange with the light on the gun. That said, I'm on my fourth warranty replacement of my TLR-3. I like the light a lot but it doesn't seem to be able to hold up to heavy/moderate use.

Top Bottom