• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So its time to replace my current electronic earpro.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-review_radians_proamp_electronic_earpro.html

They've served me well for 4 years now. They still work, and I'll probably keep them for backup/guest duty, but the headband is starting to come apart and the electronics have started to become somewhat spotty and not 100% reliable.

My first thought was to go top-of-the-line with some Sordins. But I still can't quite justify their $250 price tag.

I know several of the guys I shoot with use the Howard Leight Impact Sports. They are actually less expensive than my current Radians, but I've heard good reports. I like that they are slim and come in basic green.

Howard Leight | Impact Sport

For those that already run these-- how do you change the batteries? What kind of batteries do they take?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I haven't had to replace mine yet after over 2 years. I carry 2 aaa just in case. I do remember that they were easy to install. I'll run out to my truck and grab them to explain better.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Evan, I like this set of muffs and it is what I use. I see quite a lot of them. They are some of the slimmest out there and almost work with rifles.:D

They take two AAA batteries. You slide up a textured black piece to gain access to the battery compartment.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've been using the Peltor Tac Sports for several years, and I've got akaindy and GunInfected1 running them now, as well. They offer better comfort and performance over the TAC-6S, with less bulk and a lower price than the ComTacs.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Howard Leight product.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    No screws to loose. Takes all of thirty seconds. I've tried a couple including the Radians and prefer the fit, comfort, functionality, and price of the HL. Like any muff they do great at keeping the ears warm in the winter but do get hot in the summer.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    47e93aa5.jpg

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    They take two AAA batteries. You slide up a textured black piece to gain access to the battery compartment.

That's good to hear. I was hoping it was a common battery, and that they could be accessed from the outside. :yesway:

I've been using the Peltor Tac Sports for several years, and I've got akaindy and GunInfected1 running them now

You can add lovemywoods to that list. :yesway:

I like them, but I'm not sure if they're worth double the price of the HLs (assuming I like the HLs).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Guys thanks for the reviews on these.

I went ahead and ordered them at Amazon.com. $46 shipped.

Full review to come at a later date!

Randall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    These where the first electronic hearing protection that I have used so my experance is limited but I have had good luck with them so far easy to change the batteries and nice and slim.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield

I don't think you will be disappointed. These are what I have run for a few years now, and love them. I see no reason to change to a more expensive pair. They amplify well, protect well, are comfortable, and the slim profile is fantastic. Not having to remove the ear muff/foam etc for battery change is a super bonus. :rockwoot:

I will be anxious to see if you have the same impressions.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The metal in the headband snapped in mine within a year. I have not tried a repair yet. I don't have a huge head either.

I won't be buying them again.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Over the years I went through two pairs of Dillon (then made by Radian), a set of Peltor, another Radian, and now the Howard Leight.

The Peltors sucked. I could barely hear anything and when I had them, I had exceptional hearing.

I'd rate the performance of the Radians about the same as the Howard Leight, but the Leights were less expensive and seem to be more resistant to rain (which is what destroyed my Dillons). Batteries seem to last longer, but I've not done any deliberate testing.

The only downside to the Leights is that they commercially available earmuff "sweats" don't fit them very well.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Bought mine back in late Oct for 32.99 w/free shipping. Fell into a great deal that was being ran through Amazon.

Amazon has been my go to place, really nice since most of it comes out of the Plainfield warehouse and I have in a day or two with the freebie shipping.

You'll like them very much.:yesway:

Top Bottom