• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They should be allowed to say whatever they want. They just don't have the right to lock down a campus, threaten people and things like that in furtherance with their stupidity. Just because you can say something doesn't mean you have carte blanche to do whatever you want.
    Yeah you have the right to protest. You don't have the right to infringe on other peoples' right to peaceably go about their lives. Holding up signs and chanting is one thing. Accosting jewish students on college campuses is another.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah you have the right to protest. You don't have the right to infringe on other peoples' right to peaceably go about their lives. Holding up signs and chanting is one thing. Accosting jewish students on college campuses is another.

It's the same thing with all of the protests the Left does. Stopping traffic, ruining artwork, disrupting people's daily lives. Every single person that does this every single time should go to jail. I have no issue with them saying whatever loony thing they want, holding up signs and whatever, but any time you go further than that it's no longer just a free speech issue.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's the same thing with all of the protests the Left does. Stopping traffic, ruining artwork, disrupting people's daily lives. Every single person that does this every single time should go to jail. I have no issue with them saying whatever loony thing they want, holding up signs and whatever, but any time you go further than that it's no longer just a free speech issue.
    You know, this brings to mind something I’ve noticed and I think I’ve mentioned before: you have to admire their results. With all the violence, destruction, societal rot they’ve promoted and inflicted on us, they’ve moved the needle in the direction they’ve desired. From wokeness, to jail break, to DEI, to “separation of church and state”, (just name a few), they’re winning. All of the left’s tactics have, on aggregate, reshaped the culture to more closely fit their agenda. This is clear.

Would it work the other way? I don’t know.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You know, this brings to mind something I’ve noticed and I think I’ve mentioned before: you have to admire their results. With all the violence, destruction, societal rot they’ve promoted and inflicted on us, they’ve moved the needle in the direction they’ve desired. From wokeness, to jail break, to DEI, to “separation of church and state”, (just name a few), they’re winning. All of the left’s tactics have, on aggregate, reshaped the culture to more closely fit their agenda. This is clear.

Would it work the other way? I don’t know.

I think those things have more to do with their infiltration into all sectors of life, than protests. They've indoctrinated many to believe how unjust our way of life and true freedom is and has many primed to protest or burn cities to the ground because of that ideology. That and many are paid to do so, swelling their numbers and making even more people believe in their cause because of it. That and IMO, too many people have turned from God.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Excellent discussion...

Our 1st Amendment rights protect inoffensive speech, but no one notices because it's inoffensive.

It puts restraints on the government (despite what the rookie SCOTUS Justice thinks, this is why we have a Bill of Rights.)

As an individual, I can choose to disassociate from those I deem hateful. They can get off my lawn with that ****, but on the sidewalk it's a different matter.

"Hate Crime" is a whole different matter. Looks like an end-around on 5th Amendment double-jeopardy protections. That needs to get a case in front of SCOTUS.

There are lines drawn for slander/libel, inciting violence, etc. Once another's rights are affected, now it's a different matter.

To quote Chris Robinson (and many others,) Action speaks louder than words.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Has anyone mentioned “fighting words” ?

I walk up to you and say I am gonna kick your A$$ and then eat your brains.

Is that free speech ?
    Yes, but not necessarily without consequences. And not the legal kind. We’ve allowed society to remove the phrase “well, he had it coming”.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    "Hate Crime" is a whole different matter. Looks like an end-around on 5th Amendment double-jeopardy protections. That needs to get a case in front of SCOTUS.
    one thing similar though, if they actually enforced existing law, there would be no reason for hate crime legislation. A couple of white dumbasses grab up a black man just for being black and lynch him, hang them expeditiously. Move the colors around however it works for you. once again our problem is not enforcing the existing law or providing appropriate punishment in a timely manner. We don‘t need new laws.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Excellent discussion...

Our 1st Amendment rights protect inoffensive speech, but no one notices because it's inoffensive.

It puts restraints on the government (despite what the rookie SCOTUS Justice thinks, this is why we have a Bill of Rights.)

As an individual, I can choose to disassociate from those I deem hateful. They can get off my lawn with that ****, but on the sidewalk it's a different matter.

There are lines drawn for slander/libel, inciting violence, etc. Once another's rights are affected, now it's a different matter.

To quote Chris Robinson (and many others,) Action speaks louder than words.

Remember, the cases where speech become legally limited aren't because of the speech, but because of the tangible and physical harm. Not emotional harm, but financial or physical.

Libel/slander can not be tried on the basis of hurting someone's feelings.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The Left uses the emotional accusation of "Hate Speech" to control the dialog and discredit the ideas of the Right.

Malcolm X had the Left figured out a long time ago. Yet the Left still pushes the same lies in order to reach their goals.

"I only cite these things to show you that in America the history of white liberal has been nothing but a series of trickery designed to make us think that the white liberal was going to solve our problems. Our problems will never be solved by the white liberal. The only way that our problems will be solved is when the black man wakes up, cleans himself up, stands on his own two feet, stops begging the white liberal and takes immediate steps to do for ourselves the things that we have been waiting on the white liberal to do for us.”

Malcolm X

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've been in situations where one person's hate speech is another person's communication. Had to sort out one of these at work where an east coast customer was cussing out our customer service and reducing the rep to tears. I explained that here in Indiana that language and aggressive speech was interpreted as "fightin words" and would produce the exact opposite response the customer was looking for. The east coast buyer said that this is just how we talk here. I understood that but said in the interest of getting things solved, we would all have to get along. End of problem.

Top Bottom