Zero Turn Mowers: Hustler VS Dixie Chopper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I may be in the market for a new zero turn mower. I currently have an older Dixie Chopper, which will need to be replaced at some point.

Yesterday, I was able to mow with an older Hustler. Its still newer than my Dixie, and sat lower to the ground. It mowed good as well.

So which is a better mower in general? Hustler or Dixie? Or are they just pretty similar?

FYI, I have a 5.6 acre yard.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have not used a dixie, but have used a Hustler since 2008.

It has been extremely reliable, easy to work on and maintain.

If I were I the market personally I would get another hustler and not think twice.

We also have a JD rider, its a good machine but I wouldn't consider a jd zero turn based off my experience with the S240.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I know this wasn’t one of your options but Bobcat has a real nice mower in its line. I sat on one Friday while renting an attachment and it would be worth a look. Pretty nice mower.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have an 06 Dixie Chopper Eagle LT 44", and it has been very good. Minimal maintenance and no troubles. However the current DC is not made by the same company. DC was sold to a company in Illinois and as I understand it, there were many troubles getting production and quality up after the new owners took over. I suggest really looking at reviews and customer comments before you purchase a DC.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I just bought a used hustler from 2017, 54 inch fabricated deck.

I’ve been using it for the last half of the season so far no complaints. The hydros were a little out of sync as one side went a little faster but that was easy to readjust and have the machine go straight with both arms all the way forward. Parts seem to be readily available and it is easy to work on and it leaves a really nice finish on my lawn. The Kohler V twin 24 hp engine doesn’t seem to strain at all in heavy grass. For the 2400 bucks I paid for it I consider it an excellent value.

I am only mowing 1.8 acres maneuvering around trees and bushes in about 40 minutes.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Is your property just 5-6acres of flat grass? If so, you won't tell much a difference in any mower aside from deck width and seat comfort. A budget or used mower would be fine.

But to suggest options;

If it's hilly, bumpy/rough terrain - a Ferris is unmatched

If you have a lot of trees and/or things to mow under, or 'reach' into - a front-mount deck mower will save yourself hours of weed eating effort.

A front mount such as Grasshopper 700+ series with diesel engine, I believe is the best mower in general. But $$$$.

Top Bottom