• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    I first shot blackpowder with a brand new TC Hawken over 31 years ago. I still have a longing for a correct Hawken/Plains style rifle. I’ve owned or shot just about anything imaginable (within reason lol) I have a few modern firearms that are special to me for one reason or another. Otherwise I see tools. I recently picked up a very old Marlin lever rifle which is blackpowder. Reading up into BP I’m back interested in percussion and flintlocks and that Marlin may just go bye bye. Always liked the thoughts of a fowler as it’s dual purpose/shooting. I came across one and in its description it says
    “The .625" diameter bore is bright and clean. We recommend our 19 gauge wad and cards for this barrel. We note there is a tight spot in the bore about 6" behind the muzzle that can be felt when we run a patch down the bore.”
    Wonder if this would be an issue with shot or a patched ball. Barrel restrictions?? Thanks

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I shoot a fair amount of BP cartridges, more so than shooting cap and ball. You just have to wash the brass in addition to the gun and make sure you use magnum primers for better accuracy. Cartridge loading with BP is easy, just make sure the case is full enough for the load to compress slightly when you seat the bullet and you are good to go. I shoot more 44-40 than I do anything in BP.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I wouldn't worry too much. That bore is about 5 thou over my 20ga fowler as it is. Should be no issues with shot and only come up with round ball if you had fouling and a tightly fitted ball. Most people seem to get good results from a slightly smaller ball and higher charge, versus treating it like a rifle and trying to snug the ball and patch as tight as possible. With smoothbore you actually get a centering/gas bearing effect from the blow-by around the ball.

They sure aren't cheap, though. There really isn't a Traditions/Lyman/CVA smoothbore fowler option. But the smoothbore really is the definitive American frontier gun, not the rifle, and it's cool to have one.

Top Bottom