You walk into a retail chain store. You take your items to the cashier. The cashier is sitting on a stool...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It must be an American thing ... I have never seen a cashier standing up.
    They all have some kind of office chairs over here. :dunno:

It's probably even illegal to have them stand up all day.
    I would call the manager and complain if I'm at a place where a cashier has no way to sit.

jcr:content.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I only ask two things of a cashier:

Speed
    Lack of an objectionable odor
    I ask for 2 things as well, the aforementioned speed and never try to make conversation about my purchases. Better yet, just don't try to make conversation.

Anyhoo, why would I care if someone sits on a stool? The most frequent place I see this is in a gun store. I would find it odd if my clients expected me to stand while working on their cases. I sit....the horror.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have no problem with the clerk , sitting, standing, or hanging from a climbers lanyard. Just have registers open for business. I get frustrated when there a 5 or 6 store clerks hanging around to tell me to check myself out at the self service, and only one register open. I have told more than one worker and the store manager at Payless, that I would need a purchase order to cover my time. $72.50 and hour with a 4 hour minimum charge.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I worked a cashier job once with a boss who loved to bark at people for leaning on the counter. Can't stand that type of petty slave driver mentality. It's a bottom-of-the-barrel job standing in one place swiping things over a scanner, of course you can sit in a dang chair. Hell, who even employs more than one or two human cashiers anymore?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My daughter works at Aldi. They have stools for all of the cashiers. Those employees all work pretty hard. They do everything. They aren't just cashiers or stockers like some stores. They get there early and stock everything before the store opens and work to prep for the next day after they close.
    Exactly, when was the last time you saw some one at China Mart stop stocking the shelves to go up front and run a cash register so that customers did not have to wait as long.

We are big fans of Aldi’s

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Exactly, when was the last time you saw some one at China Mart stop stocking the shelves to go up front and run a cash register so that customers did not have to wait as long.

A little off topic, but I miss the old days when supermarkets and other stores would stock the shelves at night. I like to do my grocery shopping early in the mornings and it's a pain in the butt when half the aisles are blocked with pallets and people stocking shelves.

Of course a lot of stores around here that were formerly open 24 hours aren't any longer. Kroger doesn't open until 6 a.m. and Aldi doesn't open until 9. 10 on Sundays.

Reactions: Leo

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A little off topic, but I miss the old days when supermarkets and other stores would stock the shelves at night. I like to do my grocery shopping early in the mornings and it's a pain in the butt when half the aisles are blocked with pallets and people stocking shelves.

Of course a lot of stores around here that were formerly open 24 hours aren't any longer. Kroger doesn't open until 6 a.m. and Aldi doesn't open until 9. 10 on Sundays.
    You gotta pay extra for night workers.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I worked a cashier job once with a boss who loved to bark at people for leaning on the counter. Can't stand that type of petty slave driver mentality. It's a bottom-of-the-barrel job standing in one place swiping things over a scanner, of course you can sit in a dang chair. Hell, who even employs more than one or two human cashiers anymore?
    Agreed, seems like China Mart has 2 cashiers at peak business time and the attitude if you don’t want to wait go check your self out.

So on the rare occasion I have to shop there I like to utilize the one item per bag bagging system. That really seemed to tork off the self check out monitor.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Agreed, seems like China Mart has 2 cashiers at peak business time and the attitude if you don’t want to wait go check your self out.

So on the rare occasion I have to shop there I like to utilize the one item per bag bagging system. That really seemed to York off the self check out monitor.
    Last time I was there I swear the cashier was intentionally dragging his feet just to teach you a lesson for not going to the self checkout. I wonder why they even bother wasting the square footage on lanes that'll never be touched by human hands.

The Aldi cashiers (who do sit down, if it matters) are always excellent, but are limited by only having enough staff to keep one register open at a time. I'm generally a "jobs are voluntary and pay what they're worth" guy, but it is a fact that low pay and low regard for employees will usually generate poor employee output.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Last time I was there I swear the cashier was intentionally dragging his feet just to teach you a lesson for not going to the self checkout. I wonder why they even bother wasting the square footage on lanes that'll never be touched by human hands.

The Aldi cashiers (who do sit down, if it matters) are always excellent, but are limited by only having enough staff to keep one register open at a time. I'm generally a "jobs are voluntary and pay what they're worth" guy, but it is a fact that low pay and low regard for employees will usually generate poor employee output.
    Seems like our Aldi’s has one cashier most of the time as well, but they will open up another check out if there are more than 3 people in line.

For some reason when I go there they are not usually busy, but always well stocked and produce is always fresh.

A lot of people around here will say Aldi’s is not Publix so they do not shop there. I think Aldi’s pays their people fairly good, it’s one of the few places around here that does not have a help wanted sign out.

Reactions: Leo

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Seems like our Aldi’s has one cashier most of the time as well, but they will open up another check out if there are more than 3 people in line.

For some reason when I go there they are not usually busy, but always well stocked and produce is always fresh.

A lot of people around here will say Aldi’s is not Publix so they do not shop there. I think Aldi’s pays their people fairly good, it’s one of the few places around here that does not have a help wanted sign out.
    Yep, and I totally get it. I don't think there are more than two, max three employees in the entire store at any given time, trying to do everything. They do apparently pay decently, for a grocery store, but staffing is very thin and someone is always running to and from a register and doing other things.

Skeleton crews are the new normal in retail.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yep, and I totally get it. I don't think there are more than two, max three employees in the entire store at any given time, trying to do everything. They do apparently pay decently, for a grocery store, but staffing is very thin and someone is always running to and from a register and doing other things.

Skeleton crews are the new normal in retail.
    The store where my daughter works (she started there earlier this year) raised their starting pay to $15 an hour and still can't find people willing to work. She had started at $14 and when they raised the starting pay, she got the raise too. They have decent benefits that are not ridiculously expensive and appear to treat their employees well. She averages about 40 hours a week, and I believe they normally have about 6 people working at any given time. Some are doing curbside orders only. Others are stocking, cashiering and taking care of customers in the store. They seem to have a good system. Most of their stuff is stocked in the morning and taken straight from the delivery trucks to the shelves/coolers. The rest is staged up in the back and ready to restock mid-day. After they close, they get ready for the next morning's deliveries and restocking.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Most stockers are not trained as cashiers and if you're going to depend on someone untrained to check you out then you might as well use the self checkout.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom