• Status
    Not open for further replies.

chiraqi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Chicago but not for long
    Hi, glad to find this forum. We have sold our property in Illinois and are looking in NW Indiana. I hope this is welcome here - I know Chicagoans are fleeing like rats to neighboring states. I swear I'm not bringing our terrible politics with me. I was raised in the rural South, but landed in Chicago for twenty years. I started a family in Chicago but we have been sick of the city and its troubles for years, and the 2020-2021 insanity has been the final straw. It's ironic - I grew up rural, thinking I wanted the city life. My kids grew up in the city, are sick of it, and want out.

Any advice on Indiana life is appreciated.

As a gun owner I've had to become well acquianted with Cook County and Illinois' idiosyncratic violations of the Second Amendment. I'm looking forward to more freedom. And cans. We'll be doing an NFA trust on day one.

It's been interesting looking at different areas of NW Indiana. Cedar Lake and Portage seem like they're getting liberal judging by the yard signs. Lowell and Griffith seems very promising though. Unincorporated St. John looks decent. Real St. John looks like it's full of Chicagoans. The further south and east I've driven, the more beautiful the land gets and the nicer the people are.

Side question: I saw there's a Lake County Fish & Game Protective Association. Doesn't seem to be a DNR thing. It looks like a club of fishermen and hunters and they operate a lake or a filled quarry by Griffith. Any info on that?

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself. It's a pleasure reading the threads here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Welcome!

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. DO pass Lake County. Do pass NWI. Its all :poop:cago lite. I'd stop when you cross SR 24 just to be safe. :):

And if you REALLY need a big city, Welcome to Indianapolis.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Welcome from Hobart.
    And yes Lake County is a political cesspool of **** politicians riddled with corruption. Porter County isn't much better. However even they are better than living in ****cago

Last edited by a moderator:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    :welcome: We will hold you to your oath not to bing commie illinois politics to our fair state. My brother lived in chesterton, he moved politics were changing , seems the farther south of valpo you get the better things are, as in property taxes being lower, amongst other things, but the high priced housing market has hit most of the state so be forewarned

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Avoid Griffith like the plague.
    Lowell is a bizarre dichotomy. 50/50
    Cedar Lake, liberal, lol. Either long term residents or ex Chicagolanders who can’t afford St. john.
    Unincorporated St. John hasn’t changed in the last 50 years, and I visit regularly. Mainly to shoot on a friend’s farm.
    Real, aka incorporated, St. john also hasn’t changed much and has loooong term residents.
    New incorporated St. john probably does have lots of recent ex-chicagoans, like yourself, who have fled the buffoonery of the city but aren’t confident enough to really cut the cord.

Where at in the city? I fled long term residency 2 years ago with my family from NW side Jefferson Park to south Franklin township, technically still Indianapolis, but more like new St. john these days. Just lower taxes.
    As someone else said, good luck finding a house; better off buying some land and building because the prices are going nuts around here and houses are on the market for hours these days.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    :wavey:

welcome to the forum

we (nwi people) hang out in a thread just for us

go ahead and jump to the end, no reason to read the entire thing.
    Just us talking about NWI stuff.
    And BSing.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Welcome from Crown Point. Honestly, I think Lowell might be just what you're looking for. If I were looking to leave Crown Point, that's where I would go. Small-town feel but still close enough to the shopping and restaurants in Merrillville (ugh) and Schererville. If you are on Facebook, you might want to search for groups for the different towns and join them. Lowell has one that's just called Lowell, Indiana. You really get a feel for the people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom