• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, Dr. Fackler did not use typical hunting bullets in his illustrations. To be fair, most of his research from the late 80's and early 90's and is a bit dated due to advancements in the quality of both hunting and defensive ammo.

Most tipped hunting bullets are more efficient and have greater ability to expand consistently.
    bullets-GMX-Cutaway.jpg

The design of JHPs for handguns has also come a very long way, even in the last 5-10 years.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    223 and 308 soft point bullets were deffinatly the most violent wow.i have both :D

Thats what I was thinking. I was actually really suprised at how far the 7X62X39 round will travel through the body before breaking apart/tumbling. But that could be a good thing I guess. I bet it helps defeat body armor :D

Which brings me to another question.....What is the smallest round that will penetrate a kevlar vest? Will a .223? Or would it have to be something like a .308 nato round?

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thats what I was thinking. I was actually really suprised at how far the 7X62X39 round will travel through the body before breaking apart/tumbling. But that could be a good thing I guess. I bet it helps defeat body armor :D

Which brings me to another question.....What is the smallest round that will penetrate a kevlar vest? Will a .223? Or would it have to be something like a .308 nato round?

Virtually any centerfire rifle cartridge with high velocity and proper construction can penetrate kevlar, M855 62 gr 5.56x45 is a good example of a bullet meant to do just that.

Actually the whole idea behind the 5.7 (x28) was to allow law enforcement and military to penetrate soft body armor with reduced occurences of overpenetration. However, you will not be able to buy that bullet construction, SS190, because the big brother does not allow the sale of armor piercing pistol ammo. 5.7 was developed for LE/MIL pistols and submachineguns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom